BOTTLE with or without Carbination?

Thx in advance to any help that you offer.

My name is Criag and I am new

I am on my 2nd brew (Four Leaf Stout) my first was the American Pale Ale that is in 2nd stage fermentation in bottles

My question;

-If I eventually want to have my beer in a Growler (128oz) that uses Co2 cartridges should I do...
   a) Bottle the beer without carbonation and then, when finished 2nd fermentation, pour into growler and use Co2 cartridges?
   b) Bottle the beer with carbonation and then, when finished 2nd fermentation, pour into growler and not use/or use Co2 cartridges?

-If I eventually want to have my beer in a 5L keg and use a beer dispenser should i do...
   -a) How can I put into a 5L keg?
      - By using the beer dispensing tube that I use to bottle? (Purchased from BeerDroid site)
         -Will it be long enough to reach the bottom of the 5L keg (depending on which 5L keg I buy)
         -Or, is there another way? (if the 5L keg is too deep?)

Once again, thank you in advance for the help/knowledge

2 hours ago, Criag Ayers said:

Thx in advance to any help that you offer.

My name is Criag and I am new

I am on my 2nd brew (Four Leaf Stout) my first was the American Pale Ale that is in 2nd stage fermentation in bottles

My question;

-If I eventually want to have my beer in a Growler (128oz) that uses Co2 cartridges should I do...
   a) Bottle the beer without carbonation and then, when finished 2nd fermentation, pour into growler and use Co2 cartridges?
   b) Bottle the beer with carbonation and then, when finished 2nd fermentation, pour into growler and not use/or use Co2 cartridges?

-If I eventually want to have my beer in a 5L keg and use a beer dispenser should i do...
   -a) How can I put into a 5L keg?
      - By using the beer dispensing tube that I use to bottle? (Purchased from BeerDroid site)
         -Will it be long enough to reach the bottom of the 5L keg (depending on which 5L keg I buy)
         -Or, is there another way? (if the 5L keg is too deep?)

Once again, thank you in advance for the help/knowledge

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

1) As the growler uses co2 you could fill the growler directly from the droid and carbonate with the Co2. (128oz = 3.8l). 
2) Alternatively you could bottle and carbonate to save on gas and the carefully pour into the growler. If drinking straight away then a boost if C02 should be requires, it would be similar to a poured jug of beer.

3) Not able to answer if the dispensing tube will be long enough for a 5l keg as don’t know the style of keg you want however you can attach a suitable long piece of tubing to the droid tap (either into the tap spout or over it) and fill directly into the keg.

Cheers, let us know how you brewing is going.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

1) As the growler uses co2 you could fill the growler directly from the droid and carbonate with the Co2. (128oz = 3.8l). 
2) Alternatively you could bottle and carbonate to save on gas and the carefully pour into the growler. If drinking straight away then a boost if C02 should be requires, it would be similar to a poured jug of beer.

3) Not able to answer if the dispensing tube will be long enough for a 5l keg as don’t know the style of keg you want however you can attach a suitable long piece of tubing to the droid tap (either into the tap spout or over it) and fill directly into the keg.

Thx Cap 3...very much appreciated :)

16 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Can confirm the standard stainless steel 5L kegs fill well with bottling attachment and prevent over ventilation and was long enough for me if memory serves.   If they’re not long enough you can fashion an extension using the Bunnings vinyl tubing with tubing joiners and it works a treat.   The keg gets a little heavy so I use a rubbish bin or the kegging system rack to hold it while it fills.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, J P said:

Can confirm the standard stainless steel 5L kegs fill well with bottling attachment and prevent over ventilation and was long enough for me if memory serves.   If they’re not long enough you can fashion an extension using the Bunnings vinyl tubing with tubing joiners and it works a treat.   The keg gets a little heavy so I use a rubbish bin or the kegging system rack to hold it while it fills.   

Thx JP

Thx all for the answers, helped a ton

I am going to go and purchase the 304 food grade stainless steel 5L keg... Now I want to purchase a unit that I can put the keg in and has a cooler...I have found a couple on Amazon but get mixed reviews, Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2021 at 2:26 PM, Criag Ayers said:

I am going to go and purchase the 304 food grade stainless steel 5L keg... Now I want to purchase a unit that I can put the keg in and has a cooler...I have found a couple on Amazon but get mixed reviews, Any thoughts?

Sorry missed this Criag, not aware of the 5l ss keg coolers. Can you provide a link?

On 29/04/2021 at 10:51 PM, J P said:

This may help. 10L Keg Package With Filling Kit Compatible With Brewart Beer Droid - iKegger Australia

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sorry missed this Criag, not aware of the 5l ss keg coolers. Can you provide a link?

On 02/05/2021 at 2:56 PM, Criag Ayers said:

You could get adventurist and build a unit yourself 

https://www.ikegger.com/products/kegerator-kit-choose-your-taps-regulator-and-kegs

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

The 10l kegs are quite tall however you can get the the 5l pack. This also gives the option of kegging 5l and bottling the rest for each brew. 
https://www.ikegger.com/products/10l-ikegger-package-with-filling-kit-to-match-brewart-beerdroid?variant=36563324272795

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

The 10l kegs are quite tall however you can get the the 5l pack. This also gives the option of kegging 5l and bottling the rest for each brew. 
https://www.ikegger.com/products/10l-ikegger-package-with-filling-kit-to-match-brewart-beerdroid?variant=36563324272795

Exactly Captain. The 5lt kegs and bottling offers a lot of flexibility. I will be going that way myself sooner or later. Building my own Keggerator is also at the back of my mind. Just need to decide where to put it.

• Upvote 2