Lost, help pls, force carbonation problem

Hi, my first attempt at brewing beer prints hasnt gone well.  I brewed a california steam ale and was overwhelmed with a chemical taste when I tried it on the weekend.

The fermentation process was approx 5 days and I kegged 2 days later (so 7 days in droid all up).

I force carbonated at approx 30psi for 5-10 mins then left to rest for 7 days at approx 10-15 psi.  I tasted on the weekend and was hit with a chemical infused undrinkable and flat disaster.  Im not sure what I did wrong but Im sure plenty.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I am using 19l cornelius kegs and did not add any primer to them given I was force carbonating.

It is possible that I didnt let the beer mature enough (2 week process only) however that should not explain the chemical taste.  I still have the beer but will need to throw it out.

I have my 2nd brew (US Chiller) now ready to keg but I have put it into storage mode until i know what Im doing.

This is my first attempt at brewing anything (can barely use an automatic coffee machine) so pls bare with me.

Thanks

Danny 

4 hours ago, Danny Kelb said:

Hi, my first attempt at brewing beer prints hasnt gone well.  I brewed a california steam ale and was overwhelmed with a chemical taste when I tried it on the weekend.

The fermentation process was approx 5 days and I kegged 2 days later (so 7 days in droid all up).

I force carbonated at approx 30psi for 5-10 mins then left to rest for 7 days at approx 10-15 psi.  I tasted on the weekend and was hit with a chemical infused undrinkable and flat disaster.  Im not sure what I did wrong but Im sure plenty.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I am using 19l cornelius kegs and did not add any primer to them given I was force carbonating.

It is possible that I didnt let the beer mature enough (2 week process only) however that should not explain the chemical taste.  I still have the beer but will need to throw it out.

I have my 2nd brew (US Chiller) now ready to keg but I have put it into storage mode until i know what Im doing.

This is my first attempt at brewing anything (can barely use an automatic coffee machine) so pls bare with me.

Thanks

Danny 

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum. The California Steam does need a few weeks to mature, 6 weeks+ and your chemical taste could well be hop related. Did you use the liquid sachets or pellets? I’m surprised it was flat, do you have a co2 leak? However 10l in a 19l+ volume keg has a lot of head space so more time could be required.

I certainly would not throw it out, let it mature and continue brewing.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Upvote 1

Hi Captain, thanks very much for your response.  Unfortunately i think the hops (if included in the box) were accidentally discarded.  When brewing I added the yeast and the dry ingredients only.  I thought the remaining ingredients were keg primers which weren't required as I was force carbonating - my bad if there hops were accidentally thrown out.  I take it this renders the beer useless and probably should be thrown out or can hops from a brew shop be added?  

It is possible (maybe even likely) that I have a co2 leak.  I have a series 4 kegarator and am using pre used 19l cornelius kegs from u-brewit so there could be a slow leak there somewhere.  Also, I am disconnecting the gas once the desired psi level.  Should the gas remain connected and set at the desired psi level? (sorry Im very new to this).  I also read on another thread that the co2 could be connected to the beer 'out' connection and carbonate that way - would this be easier and more effective? 

Similarly for the US Chiller beer I have in storage at the moment, I added the yeast and dry ingredients only and the rest of the box has been accidentally discarded (I'm pretty sure there were no hops - just keg primer remaining).  Is it best to keg this beer at the weekend or let it mature in the droid for longer (its been in there approx 10m days).

Thanks for your help.

Danny

15 minutes ago, Danny Kelb said:

Hi Captain, thanks very much for your response.  Unfortunately i think the hops (if included in the box) were accidentally discarded.  When brewing I added the yeast and the dry ingredients only.  I thought the remaining ingredients were keg primers which weren't required as I was force carbonating - my bad if there hops were accidentally thrown out.  I take it this renders the beer useless and probably should be thrown out or can hops from a brew shop be added?  

It is possible (maybe even likely) that I have a co2 leak.  I have a series 4 kegarator and am using pre used 19l cornelius kegs from u-brewit so there could be a slow leak there somewhere.  Also, I am disconnecting the gas once the desired psi level.  Should the gas remain connected and set at the desired psi level? (sorry Im very new to this).  I also read on another thread that the co2 could be connected to the beer 'out' connection and carbonate that way - would this be easier and more effective? 

Similarly for the US Chiller beer I have in storage at the moment, I added the yeast and dry ingredients only and the rest of the box has been accidentally discarded (I'm pretty sure there were no hops - just keg primer remaining).  Is it best to keg this beer at the weekend or let it mature in the droid for longer (its been in there approx 10m days).

Thanks for your help.

Danny

The hops are a feature of the California Steam however all is not lost. Using a stainless steel hop ball (from brew shop) you could put it into the keg (release pressure, open and drop in) then reconnect the gas. The hop required is Cascade, use 25g. Needs at least 24hrs before drinking (leave in keg, no need to remove)

If satisfied no gas leak then leave the gas connected. At this stage connect to the gas post, connecting to the out (beer post) requires the appropriate disconnect (black) and is used mainly for forced carbonation. It has benefits but you need to take one step at a time.

Correct, the US Chiller has no hop requirements. Keg it now and purge with co2 until ready for the kegerator.

Thanks again Captain, I might let the steam ale sit for another month then add the hop ball and hops a couple of days before tasting again.

I will check for leaks before kegging the US Chiller.  Can I leave it in the droid to mature another week or should I keg this weekend and let it mature in keg? Or will it be drinkable this weekend (assuming I carbonate properly) which will be 2 weeks after starting brew)?

Cheers

Danny

47 minutes ago, Danny Kelb said:

Thanks again Captain, I might let the steam ale sit for another month then add the hop ball and hops a couple of days before tasting again.

I will check for leaks before kegging the US Chiller.  Can I leave it in the droid to mature another week or should I keg this weekend and let it mature in keg? Or will it be drinkable this weekend (assuming I carbonate properly) which will be 2 weeks after starting brew)?

Cheers

Danny

I’d keg now, carbonate and have a taste. The US Chiller lager should be ok to drink early.

The best way to check for a leak in your line set up is to disconnect the gas line from the keg, turn regulator up to 30psi and leave for an hour, if no leak then pressure will still be at the 30psi, if it has dropped down check for leaks at each joining junction including the regulator to the gas bottle. Sometimes the clamps can pinch the tubing slightly.

Don’t forget to reset your gas pressure before reconnecting to the keg.

Hi Captain, no problems with the carbonation process with the US Chiller this time.  Kegged and carbonated and sampled yesterday.  Was a little bitey and bitter in taste (may be in part due to maturation and the type of beer) but quite drinkable - thanks for the advice.

Am about to put in an order for another brew (considering aussie lager or a low carb option).  I note ingredients can be purchased separately from brewprints.  Could I re-purchase the hops (that were thrown out) for the Steam ale and pop them into the keg and leave for another week or so or would a hop bomb per your suggestion be best?

5 minutes ago, Danny Kelb said:

Hi Captain, no problems with the carbonation process with the US Chiller this time.  Kegged and carbonated and sampled yesterday.  Was a little bitey and bitter in taste (may be in part due to maturation and the type of beer) but quite drinkable - thanks for the advice.

Am about to put in an order for another brew (considering aussie lager or a low carb option).  I note ingredients can be purchased separately from brewprints.  Could I re-purchase the hops (that were thrown out) for the Steam ale and pop them into the keg and leave for another week or so or would a hop bomb per your suggestion be best?

Hop bomb in the keg is the way to go. If you just drop the pellets in they will dissolve and can block the dip tube and the beer post which is the pits.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids