Maltodextrin

• 2 years later...
42 minutes ago, Mike A said:

If you're planning to use Maltodextrin or even Lactose for that matter, what's the best way to add it?

At the start along with the malts in powder form?

Or before the yeast in liquid form?

Hi Mike,

I've used both, as well as Dextrose and DME in the Droid

How I do it is to heat up some water in a pot to say 75-80°C and then add whatever powders you want to use such as Maltodextrin, Lactose, DME or Dextrose. I even add yeast nutrients at this point. Stir like mad for a few minutes to make sure everything is dissolved and then hold for a good 10 minutes with lid on to pasteurize and then cool, again keeping the lid on, until the temperature you feel comfortable adding to your Droid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Wazza_wantsbeer Thanks very much for that. 

I just started a Polski Baltic Porter to the droid today, added some Malto & lactose in powdered form on top of all the malts, think that will still work?  They were super fine powders so I'm hoping that will mean it dissolves reasonably quickly.

I'll think what you're doing sounds smarter and I'll do that for next time.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mike A said:

@Wazza_wantsbeer Thanks very much for that. 

I just started a Polski Baltic Porter to the droid today, added some Malto & lactose in powdered form on top of all the malts, think that will still work?  They were super fine powders so I'm hoping that will mean it dissolves reasonably quickly.

I'll think what you're doing sounds smarter and I'll do that for next time.

Yes, it definitely should work.

The only reason I go to those lengths is because of my background as a microbiologist and I work in health but also I don't always trust those other manufacturers to make sure everything is well and truly clean and clear of any nasties.

Also, I do a whole lot of all grain brewing and making seltzers and in All Grain, you always add those things towards the end of the boil to make sure they are sterilized so I use the same method for any Hard Seltzers I make as well as the odd extract brew using the Droid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 09/01/2024 at 12:59 PM, Mike A said:

If you're planning to use Maltodextrin or even Lactose for that matter, what's the best way to add it?

At the start along with the malts in powder form?

Or before the yeast in liquid form?

Yeah as Waz said.

When I am adding Maltodextrin I'd add it to near boiling water, give it a good stir with a sanatised fork and then pour it into the droid water before adding the yeast

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1