Caramel Cream Ale Question

G’day all,

I found a recipe for a Caramel Cream Ale on one of the Facebook sites consisting of: 2 x E2, 1 x X1, 2 x X3, and 1 x Y2. The recipe then says at end of fermentation get 450ml of boiling water, 2oz of lactose, 1 vanilla bean, steep for 10 minutes and add to droid. Then 2 days at storage, then keg.

I thought I’d give it a try, got all the ingredients and started it yesterday. It wasn’t until this morning that I realized that there was no mention of hops !

My question is: has anyone tried this or made a similar beer, or does it need hops?

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

Ian

Hello Ian Brady,

I am also relatively new to BrewArt (two years - usage, not posting), but the Element ingredients usually contain some hops.  E2 is an element ingredient that consists of malted barley and hops.  So your Caramel Cream Ale recipe has hops, but not in abundance.  Other brews have additional options with wet and dry hop additives.

Please let the rest of us know your results with your Caramel Cream Ale.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ian Brady said:

G’day all,

I found a recipe for a Caramel Cream Ale on one of the Facebook sites consisting of: 2 x E2, 1 x X1, 2 x X3, and 1 x Y2. The recipe then says at end of fermentation get 450ml of boiling water, 2oz of lactose, 1 vanilla bean, steep for 10 minutes and add to droid. Then 2 days at storage, then keg.

I thought I’d give it a try, got all the ingredients and started it yesterday. It wasn’t until this morning that I realized that there was no mention of hops !

My question is: has anyone tried this or made a similar beer, or does it need hops?

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

Ian

Thagomizer is correct. This recipe doesn’t need to dry hop, this would minimise the caramel and vanilla flavour

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Tasted the Caramel Cream Ale yesterday after 4 and a bit weeks in the keg.

it’s absolutely beautiful!

as there are no added hops, the lactose and vanilla gives it a slightly sweet and creamy taste, I love it.

not a large head, but certainly fizzy till the end.

be aware, if you try it, it will erupt out of the Droid on the second morning as it starts fermentation - prepare a few chux beforehand.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2