Sour Brew

James

9 hours ago, James said:

Hey Brewartists,

I have had a mate ask me if I can brew him a sour. I have never been a fan of sours so not sure how they work.

Is there a brew print for a sour or does anyone know a custom brew for one?

James

Not into sours myself but found this (need to halve ingredients for the 10l droid (keep other half in the fridge for follow up batch)

https://mangrovejacks.com/a/blog/recipe-cranberry-berliner-sour-ale

(You could use other fruit, look up the Mangrove Jacks craft range.)

• Upvote 2

Gday James, 

I thought i'd jump in here, i'm a massive fan of sours and have just finished brewing my first in the beer droid.

After talking to Liam from Brewart, he suggested using a Philly Sour Yeast (https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/wildbrew-philly-sour/) most brew shops stock it in Aus.

Previously there was no way for us to do a sour beer without adding lactobacillus to the beer. The problem with lactobacillus is it’s a bacteria, and is extremely hard to remove once it has been added to the fermenter.

If there is remaining lactobacillus in the fermenter all of your future beers will be sour.

But, this has all changed! Recently Lallemand have released a new yeast, which produces lactic acid before it produces ethanol. The best thing about this yeast is it is easily cleaned out and out competed by traditional brewing yeast. So long story not so short is it is now possible to make sours, but we don’t yet have a BrewPrint for it

I have personally tried it with the Weissbeer brewprint with the philly sour yeast on the below custom settings

Propagate: 25°C, Ferment: 25°C, Keg: 18°C, Store: 4°C

Adding my fruit on the third day (I went for 1kg of Mango, but can use most other frozen fruit types)

I won't be trying this for a few weeks (bottling tonight) but happy to help if I can

On 24/09/2021 at 4:33 PM, T D said:

I’m thinking of experimenting with the brew print for German Weissbier but exchanging the yeast for a philly sour yeast packet.

(https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/wildbrew-philly-sour/)

has anyone had any success with this or think it would work with this brewprint?

I’ve done about 6 brews with the philly sour and absolutely love it.   Great for Sours, fruited sours, etc.  gives great lactic acid kick.   I highly recommend it.  

8 minutes ago, J P said:

done about 6 brews with the philly sour and absolutely love it.   Great for Sours, fruited sours, etc.  gives great lactic acid kick.   I highly recommend it

Thanks J P, I went ahead and used it with the German Weissbier brewprint and 1kg of puréed mango.

Do you have any recommendations for recipes/brew prints you have done it with?

That’s a very interesting combo you’ve done!!!  

Raspberry vanilla pastry Sour

E5

X1(4)

X2(3)

Additional:

• 500g Lactose - Added with Elements and Enhancers
  • 1KG Raspberries thawed and blended @ Day 3
  • 6g Vanilla @ EOF
  • 30g Oak Chips @ EOF

Yeast: Philly Sour

Brewing Program: Custom: Propagate: 25°C, Ferment: 22°C, Keg: 18°C, Store: 4°C

Process:

• Start brew as normal
  • Day 3 thaw raspberries and blend ensuring everything that comes into contact with them is sanitised
  • At EOF add the Vanilla and Oak, let them sit for 48 hours before moving to Storage Mode.
  • Leave in storage mode for at least 48 hours.
  • Keg/Bottle with the Dry Hop Filter.

ALC%

IBU

EBC

Colonial sour with Philly yeast 

E5

X1

X2

X2

D6

D8

Brewing Program: 

Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 20°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

For a GOSE modification (can add raspberry)

As above

Add 5g of good quality salt, and 7g of coriander seed and coarsely crush, add to a cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for 30 minutes.

Fill the BeerDroid with water strain in the salt/coriander seed mixture.

1kg of frozen.

Thaw them out, puree them in a sanitised blender, tip them in after fermentation is complete, start a new Brewing Program.

Propagate: 18°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 3°C, Keg: 18°C

Leave in storage for at least 4 days to try and crash out as much raspberry as possible.

Keg with the Dry Hop Filter.

You’re a legend @J Pcolonial sour is one of my favourites currently, will be doing this.

I bottled the mango Weiss sour last night, tasted great and is an awesome colour straight out of the droid

(photo is leftover from the droid which couldn’t fit in the bottle) also mind the dirty glass lolFE0F1922-9971-4E93-B181-5000488D8263.thumb.jpeg.e00db858f04e16bf30956523f280a4e9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/21 at 7:04 PM, J P said:

E5

X1(4)

X2(3)

Additional:

• 6g Vanilla @ EOF
  • 30g Oak Chips @ EOF

Process:

• Start brew as normal
  • Day 3 thaw raspberries and blend ensuring everything that comes into contact with them is sanitised
  • At EOF add the Vanilla and Oak, let them sit for 48 hours before moving to Storage Mode.

ALC%

IBU

EBC

This one is a bloody ripper!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this one on the Coopers DIY website, it says it’s meant for 20L fermenters though.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/rotm-summer-berry-sour.html?utm_campaign=253105_DIY Beer December&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Coopers Brewery Ltd&dm_i=4FT9,5FAP,26M07S,JT94,1

Do you think it would work to halve and do over two batches with another sachet of yeast or not ideal?

30 minutes ago, T D said:

Saw this one on the Coopers DIY website, it says it’s meant for 20L fermenters though.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/rotm-summer-berry-sour.html?utm_campaign=253105_DIY Beer December&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Coopers Brewery Ltd&dm_i=4FT9,5FAP,26M07S,JT94,1

Do you think it would work to halve and do over two batches with another sachet of yeast or not ideal?

That will definitely work in a half measure. I've done a passion-fruit sour with 1kg per 23l batch, so if you choose to do something like passion-fruit I'd stick with the 500g. In fact I'd stick with the 500g of frozen fruit, whatever you use. The mixed berry from Coles or Woolies has worked a treat for me in the past.

Edit: on second view, you could almost just use the Hefe tin and make a sour wheat. Don't worry about halving it and using half of the LDM.

Cheers

Edited by Hambone

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

That will definitely work in a half measure. I've done a passion-fruit sour with 1kg per 23l batch, so if you choose to do something like passion-fruit I'd stick with the 500g. In fact I'd stick with the 500g of frozen fruit, whatever you use. The mixed berry from Coles or Woolies has worked a treat for me in the past.

Edit: on second view, you could almost just use the Hefe tin and make a sour wheat. Don't worry about halving it and using half of the LDM.

Too late, I was at work and now it’s out of stock 🙃

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Put on the Coopers Summer berry sour this week.

Philly Sour Yeast

half tin of Hefe Wheat

750G of LDM

Going to go with 500g of H2Melon juice - preservative free watermelon juice as my fruit of choice!

As I can make two batches from this kit, i'll probably try raspberry or passionfruit pulp frozen in my next batch.

Anyone else tried this recipe or making sours currently?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, T D said:

Philly Sour Yeast

half tin of Hefe Wheat

750G of LDM

Going to go with 500g of H2Melon juice - preservative free watermelon juice as my fruit of choice!

As I can make two batches from this kit, i'll probably try raspberry or passionfruit pulp frozen in my next batch.

There are couple of people making sour brews so hopefully they will respond. I’m not into them personally but they are becoming popular. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/2/2022 at 2:44 PM, T D said:

Philly Sour Yeast

half tin of Hefe Wheat

750G of LDM

Just bottled this one just in time for summer to end…drinking a glass straight out of the droid and it’s beautiful, good amount of sour without being too puckery, I’ll test again when the bottles have matured 

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, T D said:

Just bottled this one just in time for summer to end…drinking a glass straight out of the droid and it’s beautiful, good amount of sour without being too puckery, I’ll test again when the bottles have matured 

image.jpg

Looks good T D. A sample from the droid is a good thing when a recipe is away from the norm. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, T D said:

image.jpg

Looks great mate.

Cheers 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, T D said:

image.jpg

Just an update, cracked a bottle after two weeks because I was that keen!

she’s a bloody ripper, perfect amount of watermelon and sourness, super inviting will definitely make this again in the warmer months

A991F72E-10B9-436C-9582-03C28086906B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 26/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, T D said:

Thanks J P, I went ahead and used it with the German Weissbier brewprint and 1kg of puréed mango.

Do you have any recommendations for recipes/brew prints you have done it with?

I used a Highland IPA brewprint and 2L cherry juice, 8L water.  Philly sour yeast, 200g lactose and I got a GREAT cherry pastry sour.    It’s beautiful 

• Like 2

On 26/10/2021 at 9:34 PM, J P said:

E5

X1(4)

X2(3)

Additional:

• 6g Vanilla @ EOF
  • 30g Oak Chips @ EOF

Process:

• Start brew as normal

ALC%

IBU

EBC

Did this brew but used frozen strawberries. Massive explosion on 4th day lost 1lt in garage(still cleaning it off) but end result was amazing. Totally drinkable straight from machine sour strawberry. Maybe not as good as pirate life’s whiskey sour but haven’t seen much better

thankyou for the recipe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/3/2022 at 7:31 PM, J P said:

I used a Highland IPA brewprint and 2L cherry juice, 8L water.  Philly sour yeast, 200g lactose and I got a GREAT cherry pastry sour.    It’s beautiful 

3 months in and this is a VERY delicious  brew.    Wonder whether the weissbier is a better base with the wheat…. 

otherwise I couldn’t think of a way to improve this.  Will brew again.   The cherry 🍒 just pops… 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1