How long does yeast packets stay fresh?

spattah

17 minutes ago, spattah said:

Hi, says to keep refrigerated on the packets, 

got a brand new in box beerdroid with one brew print but it was purchased late 2020 and I just got this following Christmas. Said it was stored in a dry room temperature room up till now. 

My guess is if it is outside a fridge, then it is past its use by date. Still, a yeast packet is pretty cheap if you need one from the local  brewshop 

• Upvote 1

Only Yeast and Hops need refrigeration, and my understanding is they're fairly hardy without it for a while but 1-2 years is a long time. The date of packaging is on the wrappings of all ingredients.

you could try testing the yeast if you don't want to go straight to the brew shop. You put some warmish water in a (sterilised) mug and put the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Cover with cling wrap at room temp for 30 mins. If it's bubbled/foamed up the yeast is alive and can be used to make beer (pour it in after the water but before the other ingredients). If it hasn't it's dead or close to it, so go to the brewshop and get something to replace it.

If you tell us what brewprint someone who isn't me might be able to tell you what the best matched yeast would be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spattah said:

It’s American pale ale. 
I placed an order here this morning so I added this. 
do you think I made a good choice? 
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Yeast/Dry-Beer-Yeast/DRY-ALE-YEAST/Mangrove-Jacks-M44-US-West-Coast-Ale

Hi Spattah and welcome. 
The yeast selection, M44-US will be perfect. 
With the hops I’d use them. They are in liquid form and well sealed. Whilst refrigeration on receipt for future use is the go it does amaze me that these sachets travel in un-refrigerated trucks. Here in Australia that can be thousands of kilometres in very high temperatures. The hops should not cause any issues.

You will be thrilled with the Droid, with good cleaning practices and with the sanitising of everything is the key to successful brewing outcomes over and over again.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Spattah and welcome. 
The yeast selection, M44-US will be perfect. 
With the hops I’d use them. They are in liquid form and well sealed. Whilst refrigeration on receipt for future use is the go it does amaze me that these sachets travel in un-refrigerated trucks. Here in Australia that can be thousands of kilometres in very high temperatures. The hops should not cause any issues.

You will be thrilled with the Droid, with good cleaning practices and with the sanitising of everything is the key to successful brewing outcomes over and over again.

Thanks for the help! I guess they'll be here in a couple days. in the mean time I will try to test the yeast here see if it's any good. 

• Upvote 1