All Grain Brew Day #2 Hazy IPA

As mentioned in my other All Grain thread, I am doing another all grain brew day today.

For @Thagomizerand others that might be interested, I thought I would detail the run sheet that I use for todays Brew Day.

So this is a Brew in the Bag (BIAB), no sparge and no chill method. I'm also using a step mash this time which I didn't last time but with the grain bill exceeding 25% adjuncts, a step mash is recommended.

The recipe for this Hazy IPA is as follows:

Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) 1.5 kg
Pilsner Malt (Gladfield)  1.0 kg
Big O (Gladfield)  0.6 kg
Wheat Malt (Gladfield) 0.4 kg

I've added brewing salts to get a 2:1 ratio for Chloride (Cl-):Sulfate (SO4-2) and kept Calcium under 150 ppm

Strike Temp: 72°C, Mash Temp 67°C, Mash Time: 60 minutes, Mash Out Temp: 77°C for 10 minutes

Will give myself a good 20 minutes to squeeze as much of that precious wort out of the bag and then let it drip into another pot as I bring the wort to the boil and will add the drippings into the big pot just as it's coming to the boil.

Boil Time: 30

Adding Hop bittering edition at 30 minutes, @ 10 minutes add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient

Hop Stand: @ 75°C for 15 minutes

After 15 minutes, will pour hot wort into a 10l sanitised cube making sure to use a sanitised funnel and strainer.

Full brew day runsheet:

All Grain Brew in a Bag
Run Sheet

Step No.

Task

Duration
(Minutes)

Prepare equipment

Weigh out water salts

Heat up water to target strike temperature - 72°C
Add salts to water as it is heating and stir

~30

Add grains and stir making sure all grains are wet and no dough balls

When temp hits mash target - 67°C cover with AL foil, put on lid, wrap in towels

Mash @ 67°C
Checking temperature and stirring every 15 minutes

Turn gas onto High in preparation for Mash Out

<10

Checking temp, Mash Out @ 77°C
At 75-76°C, stir, check temp turn down gas to low
Once @ 77°C, turn off gas, cover with lid and towels

Lift grain bag out lay cooling rack on pot and squeeze
Let drip into 2nd pot

Turn gas onto High and bring to boil
Remembering to add liquid from 2nd pot

Once boiling start timer for 30 minutes

Add bittering hop addition

With 10 minutes left in the boil add 1/2 teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient

At 30 minutes boil turn off gas

Aroma Hop addition @ 75°C
Stir as continuously as possible

At end of 15 minute hop stand pour into sanatised Wort Cube using strainer and funnel

Seal with lid, shake up hot cube then turn upside down

Store Cube until ready

Clean up

Brewfather_3MDoubleHazyIPA_20220227.pdf

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

As mentioned in my other All Grain thread, I am doing another all grain brew day today.

For @Thagomizerand others that might be interested, I thought I would detail the run sheet that I use for todays Brew Day.

So this is a Brew in the Bag (BIAB), no sparge and no chill method. I'm also using a step mash this time which I didn't last time but with the grain bill exceeding 25% adjuncts, a step mash is recommended.

The recipe for this Hazy IPA is as follows:

Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) 1.5 kg
Pilsner Malt (Gladfield)  1.0 kg
Big O (Gladfield)  0.6 kg
Wheat Malt (Gladfield) 0.4 kg

I've added brewing salts to get a 2:1 ratio for Chloride (Cl-):Sulfate (SO4-2) and kept Calcium under 150 ppm

Strike Temp: 72°C, Mash Temp 67°C, Mash Time: 60 minutes, Mash Out Temp: 77°C for 10 minutes

Will give myself a good 20 minutes to squeeze as much of that precious wort out of the bag and then let it drip into another pot as I bring the wort to the boil and will add the drippings into the big pot just as it's coming to the boil.

Boil Time: 30

Adding Hop bittering edition at 30 minutes, @ 10 minutes add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient

Hop Stand: @ 75°C for 15 minutes

After 15 minutes, will pour hot wort into a 10l sanitised cube making sure to use a sanitised funnel and strainer.

Full brew day runsheet:

All Grain Brew in a Bag
Run Sheet

Step No.

Task

Duration
(Minutes)

Prepare equipment

Weigh out water salts

Heat up water to target strike temperature - 72°C
Add salts to water as it is heating and stir

~30

Add grains and stir making sure all grains are wet and no dough balls

When temp hits mash target - 67°C cover with AL foil, put on lid, wrap in towels

Mash @ 67°C
Checking temperature and stirring every 15 minutes

Turn gas onto High in preparation for Mash Out

<10

Checking temp, Mash Out @ 77°C
At 75-76°C, stir, check temp turn down gas to low
Once @ 77°C, turn off gas, cover with lid and towels

Lift grain bag out lay cooling rack on pot and squeeze
Let drip into 2nd pot

Turn gas onto High and bring to boil
Remembering to add liquid from 2nd pot

Once boiling start timer for 30 minutes

Add bittering hop addition

With 10 minutes left in the boil add 1/2 teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient

At 30 minutes boil turn off gas

Aroma Hop addition @ 75°C
Stir as continuously as possible

At end of 15 minute hop stand pour into sanatised Wort Cube using strainer and funnel

Seal with lid, shake up hot cube then turn upside down

Store Cube until ready

Clean up

Brewfather_3MDoubleHazyIPA_20220227.pdf 113.17 kB · 0 downloads

30 minutes is quite a short boil. What’s the thinking behind that?

25 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

30 minutes is quite a short boil. What’s the thinking behind that?

From TheBruSho YouTube channel, where he has stated that a 30 minute boil is more than adequate. I've also read this and seen the same references across the interweb.

The 60 plus minute boil is from the older ways of brewing, in particular predating the NEIPA, East Coast and Hazy IPA styles of beer. Previously, the boil was all about extracting as much bitterness from the hops as possible and concentrating the wort to the desired Original Gravity.

The "boil" also stops Enzyme Activity, increases the colour, lowers the pH and drives off volatile compounds. Recent studies, research and trials have shown that a 30 minute boil effectively achieves stopping the enzyme activity and lowers pH that doesn't increase the colour and add to the bitterness of the wort, both of which are things you don't want in a modern East Coast/NEIPA/Hazy IPA.

Hence why many professional breweries don't even add hops to the boil and why the whirlpool/hop stand editions have become popular. Also why a whirlpool/hop stand at lower than 80°C is shown to be more effective as less of the aroma hop oils are lost.

Today I increased my hop stand @75°C to 15 minutes to increase the amount of aroma oils from the hops without extracting bitterness.

One thing that has annoyed me today after finishing the whole Brew Day, was that I totally missed my post boil Original Gravity (OG).

BrewFather predicted a OG of 1.083 but testing a cooled sample of my wort taken from the cube tested at 1.072.

Annoying and it means my efficiency was way off but I am putting that down to the milling of the grains. I informed 41 Pints that I'm doing BIAB and that I want the mill to be as fine as possible but compared to my last order of grains from them, this was noticeably coarser. I actually remarked to my wife when I brought the grains home that it looked now where near as fine as the previous order.

Oh well, I will pass on my thoughts to them when I order next time and make sure that I get a finer mill.

In terms of expected FG and ABV, BrewFather predicts a Final Gravity (FG) of 1.020. With a SG of 1.072 and if I get the 1.020, ABV will be 6.83 which means this will not be a double IPA/IIPA.

Oh well, next time  🍺🍺

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

From TheBruSho YouTube channel, where he has stated that a 30 minute boil is more than adequate. I've also read this and seen the same references across the interweb.

The 60 plus minute boil is from the older ways of brewing, in particular predating the NEIPA, East Coast and Hazy IPA styles of beer. Previously, the boil was all about extracting as much bitterness from the hops as possible and concentrating the wort to the desired Original Gravity.

The "boil" also stops Enzyme Activity, increases the colour, lowers the Ph and drives off volatile compounds. Recent studies, research and trials have shown that a 30 minute boil achieves that but doesn't increase the colour and add to the bitterness of the wort, both of which are things you don't want in a modern East Coast/NEIPA/Hazy IPA.

Hence why many professional breweries don't even add hops to the boil and why the whirlpool/hop stand editions have become popular.

Today I increased my hop stand @75°C to 15 minutes to increase the amount of aroma oils from the hops without extracting bitterness.

One thing that has annoyed me today after finishing the whole Brew Day, was that I totally missed my post boil Original Gravity (OG).

BrewFather predicted a OG of 1.083 but testing a cooled sample of my wort taken from the cube tested at 1.072.

Annoying and it means my efficiency was way off but I am putting that down to the milling of the grains. I informed 41 Pints that I'm doing BIAB and that I want the mill to be as fine as possible but compared to my last order of grains from them, this was noticeably coarser. I actually remarked to my wife when I brought the grains home that it looked now where near as fine as the previous order.

Oh well, I will pass on my thoughts to them when I order next time and make sure that I get a finer mill.

In terms of expected FG and ABV, BrewFather predicts a Final Gravity (FG) of 1.020. With a SG of 1.072 and if I get the 1.020, ABV will be 6.83 which means this will not be a double IPA/IIPA.

Oh well, next time  🍺🍺

Thanks for that.

Your own mill is certainly a great investment when the time is right. 

• Upvote 1

Getting my own all grain 3M Hazy IPA into the Droid tonight.

Using LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast.

Hoping for a final gravity of less than 1.020 which has been predicted by BrewFather.

Will Propagate @ 18°C, ferment @ 20°C, a single dry hop when indicated by the Droid.

Maybe will Double Dry Hop but depends on delivery of supplies as the Hops I'm using are running low on both Mosaic and Motueka but it is expected on Thursday so I can still dry hop at high Krausen if I want.

Still considering this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Maybe will Double Dry Hop but depends on delivery of supplies as the Hops I'm using are running low on both Mosaic and Motueka

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

There's some method to my madness of buying 0.5 to 1kg at a time and just sticking them in the freezer.

There's a shortage of Simcoe this year so I recently bought a kg just for the hell of it.

• Upvote 1

Just kegged this 3M Hazy IPA. As you know, the Droid died on Friday last week, I've been checking the gravity since Saturday when I found it to be around 1.023.

So I dry hopped with 50g each of Mosaic, Moutere and Motueka.

The gravity was 1.019 yesterday and hit 1.018 today which was a little less than that which was predicted by BrewFather so I thought, get it into a keg today.

Edit, just checked on BrewFather and when I adjusted for the less efficient mash and boil, it went from predicting a FG of 1.020 to 1.017. Oh well, definitely close enough but I think if the Droid was still alive, I would have definitely hit the 1.017 mark.

Also, a final gravity of 1.019 and an SG of 1.072 gives this a final ABV of 7.09 so calling it 7.1%.

Kegging went smoothly, lots and lots of trub found at the bottom and some still soft krausen. Oh well, given the Droid died, I need to get this to Liam and the BrewArt tech team as soon as possible.

Can't wait to taste it when it's ready as this was the single best tasting beer I've done straight out of the Droid. Damn it was good and the extra hops used in this compared to the all grain NEIPA I did previously has really paid off based on very early taste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

What length maturing window do you think you’ll give this one?

Aiming for days and not hours as I would usually do  🤣

In all seriousness, I've my best mate from Melbourne visiting on the 29th so will have a first taste just before then. Or maybe Friday... not sure yet.

• Haha 1

Hahaha... it's Friday and yeah okay sue me, I had to have a taste.

So the 3M Hazy IPA, with Mosaic, Motueka and Moutere hops to give its name kegged on Tuesday this week.

All I can say is wow. Simply my very best beer to date. The Haze, the mouthfeel, the taste... absolutely spot on and its was only kegged on Tuesday, I'm still shaking my head.

It's like a Balter Hazy IPA when it was a limited edition, only better, much much better. The tropical and citrus flavours are amazing and surprisingly given how young it is, no green hop burn at all.

Won't have another taste until the 29th when my best mate arrives from Melbourne but damn... I am shocked that a beer I made from scratch would taste this good.

20220311_210736.thumb.jpg.178a363fd1cff5a0f4b3a917fe257b92.jpg

20220311_210810.thumb.jpg.642bf3dad4087fe20abf74f2dda1ff10.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Hahaha... it's Friday and yeah okay sue me, I had to have a taste.

So the 3M Hazy IPA, with Mosaic, Motueka and Moutere hops to give its name kegged on Tuesday this week.

All I can say is wow. Simply my very best beer to date. The Haze, the mouthfeel, the taste... absolutely spot on and its was only kegged on Tuesday, I'm still shaking my head.

It's like a Balter Hazy IPA when it was a limited edition, only better, much much better. The tropical and citrus flavours are amazing and surprisingly given how young it is, no green hop burn at all.

Won't have another taste until the 29th when my best mate arrives from Melbourne but damn... I am shocked that a beer I made from scratch would taste this good.

20220311_210736.thumb.jpg.178a363fd1cff5a0f4b3a917fe257b92.jpg

20220311_210810.thumb.jpg.642bf3dad4087fe20abf74f2dda1ff10.jpg

😁 well you did say days …

Looks great!

• Like 1