First brew. Beer is flat

Jay Parkinson

Hi guys,

first brew and the beer is flat, I had a problem where it did not detect the kegging phase so I kegged after 20 days. It was stored for 2 weeks and chilled prior to kegging. 

Blue glass was the first pour and there was a bit of froth. Clear glass murky flat beer 

Is it recoverable or move onto the next batch (2 weeks away) 

E8D085C9-5B4D-44F7-BB27-52FA10658E2D.jpeg

have a similar issue but mine was bottled,  But believe mine to be too cold when stored for the 2 weeks,  says to keep at room temp between 18 - 25  cupboard i stored mine in was no higher then 12 degrees at any time 

Edited by Jarrd

19 hours ago, Jay Parkinson said:

Hi guys,

first brew and the beer is flat, I had a problem where it did not detect the kegging phase so I kegged after 20 days. It was stored for 2 weeks and chilled prior to kegging. 

Blue glass was the first pour and there was a bit of froth. Clear glass murky flat beer 

Is it recoverable or move onto the next batch (2 weeks away) 

E8D085C9-5B4D-44F7-BB27-52FA10658E2D.jpeg

12 hours ago, Jarrd said:

have a similar issue but mine was bottled,  But believe mine to be too cold when stored for the 2 weeks,  says to keep at room temp between 18 - 25  cupboard i stored mine in was no higher then 12 degrees at any time 

If your bottles or kegs (using sugar based primers) are stored at too low a temperature then carbonation can be very slow (more than the general 2 weeks) or stopped altogether as the yeast has gone to sleep. It should be recoverable if stored for a week or so at 18C +. The other cause could be leakage from the keg thus Co2 has escaped. If using the BrewFlo kegs, turn upside down, no leaks? And/or turn upside down into a bucket of water and look for bubbles.

1 minute ago, Jay Parkinson said:

Ok I have the kegs in the laundry now and it’s raised the temp from 12 to 20. 

I did have a leak on one keg and tightened the caps with a shifter. 

if I lost gas will it do it’s thing ?

cheers Captain & Jared 

The keg raised to 20C should be ok but the one that has leaked Co2 is a problem as there is no “sugar” left for the yeast to turn into Co2. However all is not lost, you just need to re- prime the keg and await another 2 weeks at the right temperature for carbonation to be completed.

24 minutes ago, Jay Parkinson said:

Should I wait 2 weeks and then try?

So by priming I add the cylinder sugar cubes? 

If it is flat yes.

I would suggest doing this on a sink though, if it isn't flat, there will be a wee mess...and a fair bit of swearing...I am talking from experience.

When you are saying it is flat...you can't see any cxarbonatrion bubbles in the glass regardless of the head that was poured into the first glass?

On 17/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

your bottles or kegs (using sugar based primers) are stored at too low a temperature then carbonation can be very slow (more than the general 2 weeks) or stopped altogether

Is the pictures the carbonation drops down the bottom that the yeast hasn’t eaten yet? 

3A071A78-8B1A-4A19-956E-16B5ACBF88B9.jpeg

C333FAB0-A8F1-4AD3-A02A-1966DB58331F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jarrd said:

Is the pictures the carbonation drops down the bottom that the yeast hasn’t eaten yet? 

3A071A78-8B1A-4A19-956E-16B5ACBF88B9.jpeg

C333FAB0-A8F1-4AD3-A02A-1966DB58331F.jpeg

No I don’t think so.  I’d suggest that’s probably sediment (trub). The bottle design with those “pockets” is designed to trap it. Then again some of it could be some of the tablets that have dissolved.  We’re the bottles stored at low temperature?

14 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

No I don’t think so.  I’d suggest that’s probably sediment (trub). The bottle design with those “pockets” is designed to trap it. Then again some of it could be some of the tablets that have dissolved.  We’re the bottles stored at low temperature?

Yeah was outside for a couple weeks at temps below 15 degrees only just brought them inside where it’s much warmer 

1 minute ago, Jarrd said:

Yeah was outside for a couple weeks at temps below 15 degrees only just brought them inside where it’s much warmer 

15C would make carbonation very slow if hardly at all, so should start now being in a warmer temperature. I’d give them a shake so as to get the yeast and sugar out of the “pockets” and into solution. (will settle again when finished)

• Upvote 1