Froth coming from left hand side of lid

Hi guys.

Iam brewing a Narci Citrus IPA (7.5%) brew, started yesterday and it has gone through Propagation stage and Fermentation has started. I saw there was some brown foam coming from the top left hand side of the lid and dribbled down the side. I take it that this is some sort of vent in the lid, so I just wiped the spill with clean wet cloth.

Is this normal ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Gillman said:

Wow doesn't say that in the manual and how to videos....thanks for your input. It seems to have stopped the aggressive fermentation stage now.

Some brew recipes do advise of the possibility however not all as other variants may be at play.

“Brew Notes:  Beware when brewing this bold beer, due to it’s vigorous fermentation it may overflow from the vent port for the first 48 hours. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have brewed the Narci Citrus IPA and after hopping it smells delicious and I cant wait to try it in about a month.

The only things was all the crud had dried at the top and on the lid and it took a bit of wiping and cleaning to get all the dried crud off.

Anyone got any tips to make this easier?

I think Crud is called Krausen in brew speak

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Gillman said:

Well I have brewed the Narci Citrus IPA and after hopping it smells delicious and I cant wait to try it in about a month.

The only things was all the crud had dried at the top and on the lid and it took a bit of wiping and cleaning to get all the dried crud off.

Anyone got any tips to make this easier?

I think Crud is called Krausen in brew speak

“Krausen” is correct Mark. Warm water with a dash of vinegar ( @Rob Courtney)  helps but rinse well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 01/08/2022 at 5:59 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

“Krausen” is correct Mark. Warm water with a dash of vinegar ( @Rob Courtney)  helps but rinse well.

Warm water with vinegar cleaned a lot of things before some smart bugger decided to put it in a bottle and call it names like "CLR". It was only as I started having to clean things kids had done to find vinegar removes most issues that I stopped and thought "I poured this on chips non stop as a kid, how can something be so useful and delicious?"...it rates right up there with pigs on the useful and delicious rank

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2