Coopers XPA - Increasing ABV

Mark Gillman

One of my favourite packaged beers is Coopers XPA which comes in at 5.2% all/vol.

I have not tried an XPA brewprint yet, but would like to experiment to get the alcohol content up to 6+% or even 7%.

The brewprint uses Enhancer X2 and Iam thinking of adding either 2 more of these or 2 x X5 (dextrose), so 3 in total.

I just don't want to muck the flavour up too much as I like the beer too much.

Any thoughts on increasing alcohol content and what would one pouch of 250gms increase alcohol content by?   

4 hours ago, Mark Gillman said:

One of my favourite packaged beers is Coopers XPA which comes in at 5.2% all/vol.

I have not tried an XPA brewprint yet, but would like to experiment to get the alcohol content up to 6+% or even 7%.

The brewprint uses Enhancer X2 and Iam thinking of adding either 2 more of these or 2 x X5 (dextrose), so 3 in total.

I just don't want to muck the flavour up too much as I like the beer too much.

Any thoughts on increasing alcohol content and what would one pouch of 250gms increase alcohol content by?   

I go 1 x E2. One pouch will increase the alcohol by 1% therefore your brew will be at 6.5% (recipe as is is 5.5%)

I have tried increasing the alcohol in a few brews now and have always thought I threw the recipe out of whack. Not saying it was terrible or that there was an instant regret but just thought the original recipe was probably right. If you have tried the original recipe for XPA, would be interested in your thoughts on upping the ante on this one though.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1