Light Beer.

Does anyone have a recipe for a 2 to 3% beer using brewprints?

I've done my fair share of Heavy's over the years but there are times a light is wanted. I've done the Coopers Mild with 2L of extra water that tastes great but no idea of the ABV.

Cheers.

On 03/03/2024 at 9:32 AM, PBee said:

Does anyone have a recipe for a 2 to 3% beer using brewprints?

I've done my fair share of Heavy's over the years but there are times a light is wanted. I've done the Coopers Mild with 2L of extra water that tastes great but no idea of the ABV.

Cheers.

Hey mate , I'd think you'd have to be around the mark with 2 litres of extra water to bring it to 3% as far as the mild ale goes but have asked what a brewing suggestion is, maybe you'll get a nice beer out of it.

I do notice though when I brew the beers with just 4% in them I really notice how you can fit a few more of them in before feeling it

Thanks @Rob Courtney,

I wouldn't recommend anything at the 2% mark, they can get pretty thin. But we do have a few levers we can pull. 
Malt - We'd want to use Elements and Enhancers with unfermentable sugars and higher proteins for mouthfeel. So I'd recommend using a E5 for bitterness, an X2 (Wheat) for protein, and a X3 (Amber) for the addition of crystal malts which include some unfermentable sugars which will give some body and sweetness. (this also reduces alcohol)
Yeast - Using a Y2 yeast will produce some fruity esters, plus it has the benefit of being less attenuative, so it will keep the ABV lower, and keep mouthfeel in the beer. 
Volume - Adding a little more water will assist in reducing the ABV (but I wouldn't go over 11L) but even at 10L I'd estimate this would be approx. 3-3.5% ABV.  
Hops: This is a choose your own adventure, but to be honest I'd probably avoid Dry Hops in case of Hop Creep. We've tried to keep unfermentable sugars in this beer, and dry hops can contain enzymes which can break down those complex sugars into simpler (fermentable) sugars. So use the Hop Oils. 
I'd recommend 1 x H7 for a more traditional English style ale, or H6 for a more new school hoppier beer. 

So in short: E5, X2, X3, Y2, (H7 or H6)
Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 19°C, Keg: 18°C, Store: 4°C
ABV: 3-3.5%, EBC: 15

I'll have to look at adding this into our BrewPrints. Please let me know how it goes, and I'm open for name suggestions 😂

Cheers 

12 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

Thanks @Rob Courtney,

I wouldn't recommend anything at the 2% mark, they can get pretty thin. But we do have a few levers we can pull. 
Malt - We'd want to use Elements and Enhancers with unfermentable sugars and higher proteins for mouthfeel. So I'd recommend using a E5 for bitterness, an X2 (Wheat) for protein, and a X3 (Amber) for the addition of crystal malts which include some unfermentable sugars which will give some body and sweetness. (this also reduces alcohol)
Yeast - Using a Y2 yeast will produce some fruity esters, plus it has the benefit of being less attenuative, so it will keep the ABV lower, and keep mouthfeel in the beer. 
Volume - Adding a little more water will assist in reducing the ABV (but I wouldn't go over 11L) but even at 10L I'd estimate this would be approx. 3-3.5% ABV.  
Hops: This is a choose your own adventure, but to be honest I'd probably avoid Dry Hops in case of Hop Creep. We've tried to keep unfermentable sugars in this beer, and dry hops can contain enzymes which can break down those complex sugars into simpler (fermentable) sugars. So use the Hop Oils. 
I'd recommend 1 x H7 for a more traditional English style ale, or H6 for a more new school hoppier beer. 

I'll have to look at adding this into our BrewPrints. Please let me know how it goes, and I'm open for name suggestions 😂

Cheers 

Thanks team.

• Like 1

Sma

On 06/03/2024 at 9:39 AM, BrewArt Team said:

Thanks @Rob Courtney,

Cheers 

Small tale ale?

White lie ale?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1