Sasquatch Cold IPA

This appears to be a daring brew.  With D1 (Cascade), D3 (Chinook) and D5 (Amarillo), this brew will sport 75g of dry hops.  Also, the 7.5% ABV is a little daunting.  I noticed that the brewing program is listed as "custom" but without detail.  Since the yeast is Y7, I expect the program to be similar to lager temperatures.  This is not a problem since the droid will run the appropriate brewing program if you tell it you're running the Sasquatch Cold IPA brew.

I have added it to my BrewArt order spreadsheet as BrewArt_Order_Guide_07.xlsx.  As a reminder for new users of this spreadsheet: all users will need to edit column B as to their inventory and Aussies will need to edit column C as to ingredient prices.  Since many (if not most) of us who buy ingredients separately (rather than in BrewPrints) supply their own hops, I do not include hops in the spreadsheet.

@Andy Simma, I will be waiting for your appraisal of this brew.  Thanks for trying it out and reporting on it.

🙂 Happy brewing.

When starting from the app, selecting the brew from my shelf,  it has propagate 20c then ferment at 15c

I did contemplate dropping one of the X5s to lower the ABV but decided to give it go as is. It should be ready to drink mid winter here so I do enjoy a few big abvs when it’s this cold and I know x5s also make it a bit dryer so keen to see what this one does. 75g of hops will be the most I have ever done. Really excited to get into this one. 

I was really happy with the spring water used in my last brew, Schwarzbier, so have used again for this one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Andy Simma:  Thanks for the detail on the propagate and fermenting temperatures.  Good to know how to set the droid manually in case the WiFi isn't working.

I think the best way to test a new BrewPrint is to run it straight as designed.  Then we can modify it later as to taste and preference.  Again, thanks for breaking the trail for the rest of us.

I have been using an RV in-line water filter for my brewing for the past several years.  Public water supplies in Texas vary from time to time, but the taste of my filtered water has been good and is consistent.  I have followed @Captain 3 Droids advice and never overused a filter cartridge beyond its time and volume rating.

🙂 Happy brewing.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it’s a couple of hours short of the 2 week mark but it’s state of origin tonight and the beer fridge only had two Schwarzbiers left. 

So a few hours in the fridge a day early but hey. Here it is. 

IMG_7433.thumb.jpeg.10ee95fe391c4f6c000412c867c32f09.jpeg

It’s a bit of a head scratcher for me. Not like anything I have ever drank before. The hop aroma is amazing lending you to think you’re in for a big bitter beer. The colour suggest otherwise and palate backs this up. 

light bitterness great hop taste. Ok my brain is think xpa at this point… But wow. 
there is this big drying punch on the backend. 

wow. What a beer. It’s not overly boozy at 7.5. Maybe the light bitterness and fruit aroma is making me think it’s lighter. 

o well. A couple of hours until NSW hopefully win the game!  But with a few of these I’m sure I’m going to be happy either way. Great work @BrewArt Team still not sure what a cold ipa is but I’m a fan of this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

G 'Day Andy, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new Sasquatch Cold IPA. I'm stoked to hear you enjoyed it. I'm a massive fan of the style. 
The style was coined by a brewer named Kevin Davey from Portland Oregon, and he has some guidelines which make a Cold IPA. 

Cold IPA is a type of beer that combines elements of American adjunct lagers and IPA hops. Usually rice or corn would be used in a cereal mash at 20-40% but I have substituted this for Dextrose. The rest of the malt bill is pale malt, and includes no caramel malt. The beer is fermented with lager yeast at relatively warmer temperatures or clean-fermenting ale strains with low ester and sulfur production, I opted for the former and fermented a German lager at 15°C. The hops should be all American 'C Hops' which are added near the end of fermentation. Bitterness should be restrained, but present. 

Hopefully we've hit the marks. I've really enjoyed drinking this one as well. 

Cheers

Well, Rio Lobo had a Hawaiian Shirt party yesterday. We had planned on attending for some time, long enough for me to order this special shirt for the event. No, I haven't brewed the Sasquatch beer yet, but I am prepared to celebrate properly once it's ready.

Slainte!

IMG_5725.jpeg

• Like 2