Clearer instructions needed

Kelvin Kelly

29 minutes ago, Kelvin Kelly said:

I think I’ve ruined my first brewprint, a Belgian Lager. I put in the enhancers (E5 & E1) and the finings (?) (X1 & X2) and the yeast but not the hops because I thought they were for Kegging only, is this correct? The video is not clear...

No your ok. The “E” is the dry equivalent of a tin extract and the “X” represents the enhancer like a light dry malt extract or dextrose ect. You should use the hops as it doesn’t matter if you bottle, use their kegs or stainless steel kegs the hops are part of the recipe. 

You have definitely not ruined your Belgian Lager.

Let us know how it turns out as I haven’t done the Belgian yet.

Cheers Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark. Got it!

I tasted the brew before bottling (after adding the hops) I think it going to be fine, nice taste, although flat :-) and the smell was good. Only one more week before I can reasonably start drinking.

Thanks for the advice. The second brew is now ready for bottling, a Mexican cerveza, and then I'm putting on a coopers pale ale.

The real test is can I make a brew last until the next one is ready to drink? ;-)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kelvin Kelly said:

Thanks Mark. Got it!

I tasted the brew before bottling (after adding the hops) I think it going to be fine, nice taste, although flat :-) and the smell was good. Only one more week before I can reasonably start drinking.

Thanks for the advice. The second brew is now ready for bottling, a Mexican cerveza, and then I'm putting on a coopers pale ale.

The real test is can I make a brew last until the next one is ready to drink? ;-)

Great and thanks for response. Sure is hard to store bottles and not drink to early. Therefore a need to slowly build the bottles numbers up so you can store. When I bottled I put 6 aside to build my stocks up, worked well and got to the point where brews were 4 to 6 weeks before consuming.

With the Coopers Pale Ale, buy a couple of stubbies to compare when it’s time to drink them, its interesting. I did that with the Coopers Session Ale and surprised myself.

Enjoy your brewing and hope to hear how it is going. Any problems, no worries.

Mark