Belgian Strong Ale

On the brew at the moment, resisted the urge to put an extra X5 as ordered on top of the usual ingredients, surely an 8.5% beer is strong enough. Absolutely planning this for my birthday weekend late November. A bit different in the droid too, I like to switch the light on and have a look at beer as it is brewing, at day 1 it seemed pretty dark, like a light version of a stout, Have to admit, I thought I'd stuffed it up but halfway through day 2 the bottom of the droid became golden, end of day 2 a deep golden hue has taken over. Really interested to see how this one goes, there are a few Belgian ales I have tried that I have thought batted very well if not bloody overpriced. Am actually keen to try and bottle this mainly in glass bottles

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, should have read all your post, there wasn't any overflow though, neither with the four leaf. It has gone to "Keg the bugger" but I'll wait for a few days of storage before I do, couple of these will end up in the mystery box, so that will be fun, stupidly have a couple of those watching the cricket and be up at 6AM for a fry up before driving to work.

Really looking forward to this one, have a real liking of Belgian Blondes ( both the beer and...) so hopefully this kicks some real arse, will have about 3 months to sit before being drunk. Did take 11 days to ferment though, longest one I have had so far

• Haha 1

And kegged and bottled, was actually really chuffed when I thought I had two brewprints left and grabbed the yeast sachet from the fridge to see 4 sachets. Two Bel Lagers, One Aussie premium and a Bohemian Lager, all will probably be ready to drink Xmas(ish), Jan, Feb (well in order anyways. So another month of the brewprints and then the tins I have should be getting a go.

Obviously I will be asking for help when I go the tins, though with two droids, it should be easier.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Your right, with 2 droids the tins will fit in really well. No problems with any info/help needed.

You’ll have to sample a Belgian Strong as soon as carbonated, would be interesting in its then development.

Yeah, did get 8 bottles and a keg out of that one, so may try a bottle every now and then. Used to be a big fan of having a bottle of Belgian Blonde after work on a Friday before being a droid so will be something I'd like to start up again but the Blonde bottles were 330 ml, not the 750ml ones I have. Might have to play that one a bit careful :) 

• Upvote 1

Obviously with some extra brewprints than I thought, it means I get the Birra at 10-12 weeks, so I get a better idea before I re order because using the Brewfo, I find kegs especially really benefit from the extra time. Will also be putting the hard word on the Brewshop guy t get some stock in of the coopers tins I want (being a small town, I'd rather buy from him and support a local shop, than get things online that he can get)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Holy crap, no way would you get to hard into this ;)

Has to be every bit of it's 8.5%. Has a bit of a grassy smell to it, to the point that if this was one of those craft beers made by a wine maker, you'd understand the influence Fruit and spice all over the place at the moment, needs to settle down but still fun. Really should not have done a keg with this, should have all been in bottles.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Holy crap, no way would you get to hard into this ;)

Has to be every bit of it's 8.5%. Has a bit of a grassy smell to it, to the point that if this was one of those craft beers made by a wine maker, you'd understand the influence Fruit and spice all over the place at the moment, needs to settle down but still fun. Really should not have done a keg with this, should have all been in bottles.

The reactive laugh mojo was for the 8.5%, certainly not a session brew. Agree bottles and are best suited for strong % brews

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

The reactive laugh mojo was for the 8.5%, certainly not a session brew. Agree bottles and are best suited for strong % brews

On the positive, the keg should last a while, may be the one I get some mates around to try a pint each and then say " so you're going to have to sit for an hour before driving boys" 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Trying another one of these tonight, still a bit strong but has settled a bit. To think, people will be taking advice on their finances from me tomorrow..they better hope I have some bacon and eggs...

2 berocca tabs tomorrow, pint of water and stand in the shower for an hour may help 😀😁🤡

44 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

2 berocca tabs tomorrow, pint of water and stand in the shower for an hour may help 😀😁🤡

Yeah, there are plans in place ( which include your suggestions) at worst a Egg and Bacon Roll with a coffee when I get to work.

In saying that and it needs time but the Strong Ale has its place

• 2 weeks later...

11 weeks in and it is mellowing a bit. Have been drinking from the keg mid week, less in your face and could see this being really nice in another 3 months ( will keep 3 bottles for that time).

Actually not far off what I'd expect for a Belgian stronger beer, maybe a month or three and this would be A dangerous beer, yummy and potent

• 4 weeks later...

OK, 15 weeks into this one, still sneaking some pints out of the keg ( obviously will have a few tomorrow) and this is coming into a really nice beer. If I was to brew this again, I'd leave it for 6 months or maybe drop an X5 out of it...and leave it for 6 months. This was a shocker early on but it seems to have come into it's own, would be great around a bonfire late Autumn

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

OK, 15 weeks into this one, still sneaking some pints out of the keg ( obviously will have a few tomorrow) and this is coming into a really nice beer. If I was to brew this again, I'd leave it for 6 months or maybe drop an X5 out of it...and leave it for 6 months. This was a shocker early on but it seems to have come into it's own, would be great around a bonfire late Autumn

Would agree, strong brews need time to mature, settle and smooth out.