Belgian Strong Ale

• 1 year later...

Today I tried a sample of Belgian Lager that I botted just 2 weeks ago and I found it quite drinkable and enjoyable but lacked head. What would be the optimal secondary fermentation time for this lager? I am thinking a further 2 to 3 weeks???

Edited by Eltham Brewing House

11 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Today I tried a sample of Belgian Lager that I botted just 2 weeks ago and I found it quite drinkable and enjoyable but lacked head. What would be the optimal secondary fermentation time for this lager? I am thinking a further 2 to 3 weeks???

Bit confused Eltham, the Belgian Lager or Belgian Strong Ale?

If it’s the lager 4 to 6 weeks tends to suit me however the Strong Ale at 8.5% would need 10 weeks plus. High alcohol brews need time to carbonate and mature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Bit confused Eltham, the Belgian Lager or Belgian Strong Ale?

If it’s the lager 4 to 6 weeks tends to suit me however the Strong Ale at 8.5% would need 10 weeks plus. High alcohol brews need time to carbonate and mature.

Sorry mate, its the Belgian Strong Ale. My head is in another place at the moment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Yeah strong alcohol beers need a bit of time. When I did this one I had a bottle every couple or weeks to see how it got, after 3 months it was a very nice beer without the alcohol taste I found early on...and the head got better the longer it went ( @Dustin Frothman )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, Hambone said:

Bottled this one today. I don't want it taking up a keg for a very very long time. 

This is real problem and I'm the same. I have about 4 Brewart kegs with various stouts and porters that have been conditioning for 6+ months. Keen to get into them once Autumn hits down here.

I'll need to get onto some more Coopers glass long necks as they are a great bottle for maturing beers over time. As much of a pain that bottling is, I'm willing to do so for the special beers.

I think @Captain 3 Droids has a few that have been maturing for 5+ years!

35 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

This is real problem and I'm the same. I have about 4 Brewart kegs with various stouts and porters that have been conditioning for 6+ months. Keen to get into them once Autumn hits down here.

I'll need to get onto some more Coopers glass long necks as they are a great bottle for maturing beers over time. As much of a pain that bottling is, I'm willing to do so for the special beers.

I think @Captain 3 Droids has a few that have been maturing for 5+ years!

Anything I plan to condition over 3 months goes into bottles. 

Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Put this on 35 days ago and it's been in storage since it finished. Finally could be arsed to bottle it up. It really does taste like beer with a shot of vodka in it out of the droid. Fair bit of those esters in there though which is nice. Anyway I'll see it again in a few weeks and months and see where it's at 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Finished off my dunkelmonster last night so I have space for another brew and thought I would give this a go. Trying to go like for like with the light and heavy beers given I only have 6x10L kegs to rotate through.

From the feedback it seems like this is like a Belgian Tripel?

On 13/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, Wolf said:

Finished off my dunkelmonster last night so I have space for another brew and thought I would give this a go. Trying to go like for like with the light and heavy beers given I only have 6x10L kegs to rotate through.

From the feedback it seems like this is like a Belgian Tripel?

Not the worst call, once it lost its "spirits flavour" it was very easy to drink, too easy...

• Thanks 1

Just kegged it today. The smell is amazing, even the leftover yeast smells amazing. The next time I use this yeast I'm going to draw some off for the girlfriend to make bread, has anyone tried this?

I had to waste about half a litre that didn't fit into my 10L keg. Thinking of getting some small swingtop bottles to cater for these situations, would also let me have a sampler at a few months without having to crack open the whole keg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf said:

Just kegged it today. The smell is amazing, even the leftover yeast smells amazing. The next time I use this yeast I'm going to draw some off for the girlfriend to make bread, has anyone tried this?

I had to waste about half a litre that didn't fit into my 10L keg. Thinking of getting some small swingtop bottles to cater for these situations, would also let me have a sampler at a few months without having to crack open the whole keg.

There was a guy on here who swears by it, had a few screenshots of loaves he made

• Thanks 1