English Bitter - Coopers tin to Brewprint

On 17/08/2019 at 9:58 PM, Barrelboy said:

Good idea, I think the Ruby Porter (King Crimson) Brewprint may be close and with some adjustment? Will let you know.

Liam’s on the ball as usual. He thinks the following will be close:-

2 x E2

1 x E5

1 x X3

Y4 yeast 

(will give about 4.1%)

Will let you know how it compares with the kit version (nearly always on tap).

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 11:52 AM, Barrelboy said:

Liam’s on the ball as usual. He thinks the following will be close:-

2 x E2

1 x E5

1 x X3

Y4 yeast 

(will give about 4.1%)

Will let you know how it compares with the kit version (nearly always on tap).

Put this in the droid on 30/8/19 and kegged today (6/9/19). Already have a kit English Bitter to compare with and both will be compared in a few weeks. Will advice further.

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Put this in the droid on 30/8/19 and kegged today (6/9/19). Already have a kit English Bitter to compare with and both will be compared in a few weeks. Will advice further.

Hi Mark

I Might have order the brewprints ingredients and give it a go. Out of interest do you rate the bitter from cans as being good? Cheers Terry

I like a bitter beer and the kit version suits me fine. Looking at the Brewprint ingredients I think the bitterness will be less than the kit and as Liam stated in an email that the recipe may need some adjustments. The comparison tastings will decide if it is an issue. (an addition of English Kent Golding hops may be needed?) However time will tell.

Do you enjoy bitter beers?

Cheers Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Well the results of the first trial (email copies):-

“Hi Liam, well the English Bitter Brewprint trial was kegged on 6/9 (ss keg, carbonated co2 as with kits) so now 4 weeks.The mug on the left is kit English Bitter, the one on the right the Brewprint trial.

Beer head for both very similar, nice and creamy. Brewprint lighter in colour, Amber with slight rosiness about it. (I’d say colour not overly important). Good and similar bitter finish which surprised me. 

The only thing missing to match the kit is the kit has a malt sweetness to it then finishing with the bitterness. The Brewprint trial is more dry and lacking that sweetness to the palate.

Now it’s a good drop but if some sweetness could be added I’d say yeah, matches the kit version very closely.

Await your thoughts.”

284AB27C-47C2-4251-8CBE-54FC68917B00.thumb.jpeg.facbbd36efcf95bbe8376c98759ed336.jpegBC607EBD-AD16-44F9-B8ED-8CB8EF7EF078.thumb.jpeg.5479f9f772def036f56b24e1326c2737.jpeg

Trial 2 :-

Liam (Brewart Tech)

“Thanks for the comparison and the description, it definitely makes my job a lot easier.

The colour difference surprised me, my estimation was definitely off in the colour department.

Looking at that there are a couple of changes I would make. I would substitute the E5 for a E3. This will add the colour and some more sweetness while maintaining bitterness. Also I’d exchange the Y4 for a Y2, the Y2 yeast has lower attenuation and will leave some more sugars behind.

I would go with something like this:

E2

E2

E3

X3

Y2

ALC%

IBU

EBC

I’m glad to hear that it is still tasting good, it looks like a nice drop.

Please let me know how it goes. “

Action:- 

“Great stuff, 

I have one of the droids due to finish in a couple of days so I’ll put this one down and report back after 4 weeks in the keg. (It’s great having 2 droids, it gives you flexibility)

Cheers”

This to me is great stuff, can’t wait for next evaluation.

Cheers Mark

Edited by Barrelboy

On 29/09/2019 at 3:02 PM, Barrelboy said:

Now into the trial 1 keg again, by ginkgo it’s not a straight clone of the kit version (as stated) but a bloody top drop.  Might ask Liam what we can call it?

(Ps for those who don’t know who Liam is, he’s the Coopers Brewart Tech guy, so helpful, so reliable for fast responses.)

When I get around to doing my next order I shall add Liam's tweaked recipe to the list. 

• 2 weeks later...

The test, advised Liam as follows:-

“Well Liam, I’d say you’re done it and would be happy for the Trail #2 to be a Brewprint Coopers English Bitter! The Kit version is on the left and the Brewprint version on the right. 1) both appear the same in colour 2) head on beers the same creaminess, structure 3) the sweetness of the malt and firm bitterness match very well 4) red hue the same. 
The Brewprint version is only 2 weeks, young but matches. So this is the English bitter for me when the tins run out and I hope it makes the Brewprint list.
Cheers Mark”

Now that what can be said? You beauty.
F7FE5B72-45BE-4A3E-ABB5-AB7DCA48617F.thumb.jpeg.fc579d8461bad1d4c674e20d6326002d.jpegAB55D206-CA13-4A55-B1E1-622052EF515E.thumb.jpeg.c065ee08ffcf9a7feee55520fc73d35c.jpeg2677F73E-ED43-456F-B9E2-0369B7AED091.thumb.jpeg.31a18b8590cb64964a66df15ada8c01d.jpeg5C82FBA9-65F8-4174-BDB1-5110A602C4F4.thumb.jpeg.b7884f7c6c4147cd4748c6bfbcf7a0b1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ni Mark …. Sorry been offline for sometime.  I put an order in yesterday and completely forgot about your experimental ale.  It has been added to my order spreadsheet for next time.  I have had a cider in the droid for about a month and bottled that yesterday and prior to that I kegged/bottled a Coppers Session Ale (the keg got hops and the bottles didn't as I forgot).  Other brew news was that the Irish Red Ale tasted great but I seemed to have lost carbonation on one Keg as it was flat and a slight pool of beer beneath the keg where I had it stored to mature.

My droid is out of action for now as my drain plug leaks - even plumbers tape has stopped working. Liam has shipped a replacement so that should be here when I get back home from work at the end of next week.

Cheers

Terry

Sorry to hear Droid out of action but the plug should be there when you get home. My brew room has carpet but I put a bucket underneath just in case of leaks. (Could also use an open esky.) Rob my be able to help with the flat keg. The new English Bitter is worth doing and will be my preference once I’ve used up the Coopers tins (3 left)

In putting those issues aside seams your going well. There is someone recently asking about cider and recipes if your interested. (Under topic BeerDroid General, Brewing Cider)

Edited by Barrelboy

53 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Sorry to hear Droid out of action but the plug should be there when you get home. My brew room has carpet but I put a bucket underneath just in case of leaks. (Could also use an open esky.) Rob my be able to help with the flat keg. The new English Bitter is worth doing and will be my preference once I’ve used up the Coopers tins (3 left)

In putting those issues aside seams your going well. There is someone recently asking about cider and recipes if your interested. (Under topic BeerDroid General, Brewing Cider)

Cheers, I will check out the cider post.  I put the cider on for my brother-in-law, but my wife is keen to keep it for herself....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 06/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, Rennce said:

Ni Mark …. Sorry been offline for sometime.  I put an order in yesterday and completely forgot about your experimental ale.  It has been added to my order spreadsheet for next time.  I have had a cider in the droid for about a month and bottled that yesterday and prior to that I kegged/bottled a Coppers Session Ale (the keg got hops and the bottles didn't as I forgot).  Other brew news was that the Irish Red Ale tasted great but I seemed to have lost carbonation on one Keg as it was flat and a slight pool of beer beneath the keg where I had it stored to mature.

My droid is out of action for now as my drain plug leaks - even plumbers tape has stopped working. Liam has shipped a replacement so that should be here when I get back home from work at the end of next week.

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry, hows it all going? Did you eventually do the English Bitter? Enjoying one now.image.thumb.jpg.0fb6d1cb242690f62e049c8f8b54f89b.jpg

Edited by Barrelboy