Anyone tried canning?

Rennce

Just wondering if anyone has tried canning their beer rather than bottling? If so what equipment was used and how successful was it? A friend in mine, who is an avid brewer, has a canning setup and his first several attempts at canning resulted in a rather messy garage. 

1 hour ago, Rennce said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried canning their beer rather than bottling? If so what equipment was used and how successful was it? A friend in mine, who is an avid brewer, has a canning setup and his first several attempts at canning resulted in a rather messy garage. 

No haven’t tried myself but as the norm is to can already carbonated beer apparently it can get messy as you have to “overflow” the can (overflow mainly froth) to eliminate oxygen then secure the top quickly.

Have also  heard some have canned before carbonation and added a sugar drop like with a bottle. For the home brewer I think it’s costly (also cans best bought in bulk) and messy however believe some brew club members have shared the cost and have all in canning days.

U Brew It in some State branches have canning facilities but you have to brew your beer there.

33 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

No haven’t tried myself but as the norm is to can already carbonated beer apparently it can get messy as you have to “overflow” the can (overflow mainly froth) to eliminate oxygen then secure the top quickly.

Have also  heard some have canned before carbonation and added a sugar drop like with a bottle. For the home brewer I think it’s costly (also cans best bought in bulk) and messy however believe some brew club members have shared the cost and have all in canning days.

U Brew It in some State branches have canning facilities but you have to brew your beer there.

Yeah from what my friend said it sounded like it was more expensive. Also single use so not great cost wise nor environmentally. My friend has no kids so has the funds and time to spend mastering his not small investment in brewing kit. On a side note he has also built his own astronomical observatory in his backyard. Complete with done and large enough to sit.... he has way too much spare time. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Weissbock said:

The things are about $800 usd!  Interesting but I'll stick to kegs, and a few bottles.

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/all-american-manual-can-seamer/

A big expense, a fairly lengthy extra process, messy and apparently the best a home brewer will get cans for is about 50 cents Aust. (35 cents US approx).

On 26/09/2019 at 3:06 PM, Barrelboy said:

A big expense, a fairly lengthy extra process, messy and apparently the best a home brewer will get cans for is about 50 cents Aust. (35 cents US approx).

Yeah I have to agree that they are expensive and from the videos I watched on YT very hands on and time intensive - which is something I don’t want brewing to be for me anyway.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Yeah I have to agree that they are expensive and from the videos I watched on YT very hands on and time intensive - which is something I don’t want brewing to be for me anyway.

I think if your in an active fairly large brew club and all costs are shared and joint canning days happen then fine. But to be honest the offering to the general brewer is crap.

• 3 months later...
On 27/09/2019 at 2:44 AM, Barrelboy said:

I think if your in an active fairly large brew club and all costs are shared and joint canning days happen then fine. But to be honest the offering to the general brewer is crap.

In the States all the Hip Micro Breweries around the Country Can their craft beers.  I remember the days where you would look down on a canned beer as garbage opposed to bottled.  Unless it was my younger days where we would crush some tinnie's around back.  However I guess the two major advantages to putting your beer in a can are,

1.  A lot of micro breweries don't have heaps of expendable cash, so cans weigh a hell of a lot less than bottles to ship around the country

2.  The US isn't taxed as high on alcohol content like Australia is. So, In Aus you don't see too many high octane beers because they are expensive.  However in the US it is not uncommon to have any where between 6% - 40%.  As we know beer is very volatile to light; so putting it in a Can preserves the alcohol content in some of these Higher Octane brews.  Look the abv on some of the brews below.

• Sam Adams Utopias - 29% ABV. ... 
  • BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin - 32% ABV. ... 
  • Struise Black Damnation VI, Messy - 39% ABV. ... 
  • BrewDog Sink The Bismarck - 41% ABV. ... 
  • Schorschbräu Schorschbock 42% - 42% ABV. ... 
  • Schorschbräu Schorschbock 57% - 57% ABV. ... 
  • Brewmeister Armageddon - 65% ABV. ... 
  • Brewmeister Snake Venom - 67.5% ABV.

Thats Insane!  Canning is a fun process to watch in the bars as a lot of pubs sell Crowlers here.  They basically take a topless can shoot some Co2 in the bottom pour from the tap and use that capper shown above to cap them.

• Thanks 1

Yeah some of them are absurd.  Anything over 9 is pushing it.  There are some 11's I like, but some of these beers you have one and you feel like you just had three meals. I am originally from Adelaide and I love the pub life there.  Especially during Adelaide Fringe.  Damn that's a fun month.  

Thanks again Mark, for giving me the motivation to get my droid online.  I am halfway through my first fermentation period in the droid.  I will let you know how it goes

• Upvote 2