Early this week on a whim while conjuring up future recipe clones for the bewdroid, and sipping high abv brew... I realized I had never made a mead or melomel under 17% abv!  I've had several homebrew semi-sweet meads around 8 - 11 % and enjoyed them, so why had I never made one?  (scratching head). Tuesday I got the supplies, 6.5 lbs clover honey, 3 gallons spring water, Lalvin D-47 yeast.  Threw jt along with some nutrients for the yeast into my 3.5 gallon better bottle fermenter.  I'd bet the droid could do up a nice mead, keeping the temps controlled!  I'm sure some of you have done cider with a droid?  But man, mead is like waiting for a dopplebock to condition, 3 months at very minimum, imo.  A tough wait but worth it.

Anyway, while waiting on funds to get my droid, I'll continue to work on clones using mostly brewprints along with a few simple additions like specialty grain steepings.  Added flavor and body via grain steeping is simple, and only about 30 minutes added to your brewday with great results.  I have a long wait on this mead, hmmmm... may try dry hopping half the batch!  Prost!  
Dave

I actually tried one of the green apple ciders from the store this week, yuk!  And even though I can't stand budwiser, was surprised that their fake margaritas in a can aren't too bad.  bump it up with a bit of fresh lime juice and extra tequila it's pretty good, but mainly I'm  beer drinker!

the mead is bubbling along nicely, wish I'd had started it much sooner, this one is probably going to be a few months! What the hell, I have some extra honey, may start a honey porter.  Thinking of years past when perfectly happy doing up a simple pale ale!  But I do like to experiment, sometimes too much.  hobbies!

• 2 years later...