Keg leakage

Dale Deamer

9 minutes ago, Gary from Top End said:

Noticed people have an issue with beer leakage. I seem to have an issue every 4 or so kegs leaking air.  When put into Brewflo the compressor constantly re pressurises .  You loose carbonation if you try to reseat the collar and this only seems to work some of the time.  Beer is a bit flatter afterwords so just drink faster!!

Hi Gary and welcome.

You can test the integrity of an empty keg by pressurising it in the Brewflo and submerging in water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid in it.

Any bubbles should lead you to the air leak.

They can occur in any of the parts that make up the keg assembly.

Get in touch with BrewArt you manage to track the leak down and they will happily assist you with any replacement components.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gary from Top End said:

It is leaking at the collar

When you’ve finished this keg and unscrewed the liner from the keg cap connector, give it a press around all the moulded ridges. You may find it has cracked slightly, or at worse is starting to disintegrate.

Unfortunately this part is known to do this, however they are easily replaced.

25 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

When you’ve finished this keg and unscrewed the liner from the keg cap connector, give it a press around all the moulded ridges. You may find it has cracked slightly, or at worse is starting to disintegrate.

Unfortunately this part is known to do this, however they are easily replaced.

Thanks Dustin

Liam did replace 2 complete collar, keg connectors etc several month ago when I first had the problem.  Like you I am not inclined  to keep contacting them and become known as a winger but it is getting to the point where every time I have a leakage I think I will ask for a replacement. I have 8 kegs but have also started to bottle to ensure at least I get to sample the final beer. I started to keep each leaking keg collar etc seperate as well as ones that leak beer to see how many are actually affected but it seems not too many are left.

I also have a supply of  mini kegs which I have started to use again but as some have said the concept of the Brewflo is good, just the kegs!!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gary from Top End said:

Thanks Dustin

Liam did replace 2 complete collar, keg connectors etc several month ago when I first had the problem.  Like you I am not inclined  to keep contacting them and become known as a winger but it is getting to the point where every time I have a leakage I think I will ask for a replacement. I have 8 kegs but have also started to bottle to ensure at least I get to sample the final beer. I started to keep each leaking keg collar etc seperate as well as ones that leak beer to see how many are actually affected but it seems not too many are left.

I also have a supply of  mini kegs which I have started to use again but as some have said the concept of the Brewflo is good, just the kegs!!

Agreed that the concept is great and it’s used successfully by large commercial brewers. Check out “key-keg” if you haven’t already.

I’m certain that with time and persistence the  BrewArt keg issues will eventually be rectified.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

@BeerspokeIt might be compromised.  If the inside of your keg and the outside of your keg liner were clean there should be no problem.  I am watching a leaky keg liner myself, so I am also interested in the outcome.  (It was a new keg, and I didn't handle the liner any more than necessary.)

I suggest that you try the keg.  If spoilage is apparent, dump it.

I hope it works.  Happy brewing.  😀

In the future, I plan to spray StarSan on the exterior of the keg liner as well as in the interior of the keg.  Hopefully, this will minimize contamination if the keg liner is compromised.  The keg liner is apparently very fragile and will need gentle care in its application.

Bottling is so... simple - compared to this.  🤔

• Upvote 1