Keg leakage

Dale Deamer

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So this is disappointing . Gone away for 3 weeks and appears my cricketers arms clone has his max secondary and has now taken to leaking, i should have thrown it in the fridge before i went away . Looks like the cap has actually bowed. Looks like it might be a throw away now 😭

20201012_090145.jpg

20201012_090159.jpg

25 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So this is disappointing . Gone away for 3 weeks and appears my cricketers arms clone has his max secondary and has now taken to leaking, i should have thrown it in the fridge before i went away . Looks like the cap has actually bowed. Looks like it might be a throw away now 😭

20201012_090145.jpg

20201012_090159.jpg

Sorry to see this mate. It could be that your keg cap has failed. I had this happen to a couple of mine.

Obviously you should contact Brewart for support.

Don't chuck it though. I salvaged one of my Narci Citrus kegs into bottles without being particularly careful about sanitisation or oxygenation during transfer and they turned out great.

Worth a try anyway.

Dextrose. And dosing light, about 6 deep scoops which i think works out to around 30gr . Should be 7. Something if going on volume . But the overfilling, overpriming, failed cap all posibilities. If it was overfilled, overprimed though i would assume that it would have showed itself prior to now, the keg is 4 months old lol. My assumption is room temp and liquid expansion, its hitting 40s up here atm and brew room air con has shit the biscuit lol

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

So update to this story . I tried to drain some of the pressure from this keg and all I was pulling was foam. I did taste test and all i had was a very fruity boozy flavor. Ended up deciding against keeping the keg. Spoke to the Liam and he suggested that a likely reason is a wild yeast contamination , which due to the age of the keg had time to grow and expand , and i basically tipped a very foamy Imperial Pale ale away 🤣🤣🤣. But its a good learning for me all the same 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

So update to this story . I tried to drain some of the pressure from this keg and all I was pulling was foam. I did taste test and all i had was a very fruity boozy flavor. Ended up deciding against keeping the keg. Spoke to the Liam and he suggested that a likely reason is a wild yeast contamination , which due to the age of the keg had time to grow and expand , and i basically tipped a very foamy Imperial Pale ale away 🤣🤣🤣. But its a good learning for me all the same 

Interesting. Do you, other sanitise the keg before putting the liner in?

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Interesting. Do you, other sanitise the keg before putting the liner in?

No i dont sanitise the keg. Other then the spill over there is no contact with the inside of the keg.  Could always do it . No harm . I think was more than likely the hop sock.. i will boil going forward , normally i soak in Starsan . 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hello Brewmasters.

I'm have a problem constantly getting a successful keg - way too much wastage.

If I keg two exactly the same (5L each)  - one leaks and ones perfect. see pictures below.

I use the standard brew print with the supplied carbonation cube. I clean all my parts as per instructions / videos.

I have even started putting in less than 5L in each keg and under-fill at kegging time. But alas still getting leaking.

As solutions Have tried the following;

1. over tighten the valves

2. over tighten the main metal cap.

3. Keep Orings wet at time of putting parts together at time of kegging.

4. Underfilling keg

5. Storing in a cool location - less than 18 max - overnight down to 13 (under house garage)

Photos

1. leaking beer on floor :(

2. Leaking beer internally :(

3. Perfect :)

Not sure what I doing wrong, but constantly mopping up beer from the floor or watching beer leak internally which I can't drink is depressing.

Regards

Andrew

IMG_8739.jpeg

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Andrew rothon said:

Hello Brewmasters.

I'm have a problem constantly getting a successful keg - way too much wastage.

If I keg two exactly the same (5L each)  - one leaks and ones perfect. see pictures below.

I use the standard brew print with the supplied carbonation cube. I clean all my parts as per instructions / videos.

I have even started putting in less than 5L in each keg and under-fill at kegging time. But alas still getting leaking.

As solutions Have tried the following;

1. over tighten the valves

2. over tighten the main metal cap.

3. Keep Orings wet at time of putting parts together at time of kegging.

4. Underfilling keg

5. Storing in a cool location - less than 18 max - overnight down to 13 (under house garage)

Photos

1. leaking beer on floor :(

2. Leaking beer internally :(

3. Perfect :)

Not sure what I doing wrong, but constantly mopping up beer from the floor or watching beer leak internally which I can't drink is depressing.

Regards

Andrew

IMG_8739.jpeg

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

Hey Andrew,

I’m sorry to see this is happening to you. I have also had a run of bad luck with some kegs over the last 6 months.

When did you buy your keg liners and/or kegs? If they were from around September 2020 there are a couple of known issues with manufacturing flaws that you should contact Brewart support about. They will sort you out. 

There were unfortunately some keg caps and keg liners that were failing in numerous places so it is likely nothing you are doing wrong.

You’re correct to ensure that you are not overfilling the kegs so that’s good to hear. Also check that when you put the keg connector and cap together that you line up the small “breather” hole. I’m not sure if this is mentioned anywhere in the updated videos but I gather it allows the cap to vent some pressure during secondary fermentation to stop the brew forcing its way past the silicon o-rings and into the keg.

Something new I’ve been trying is leaving the brew at kegging temperature 18 degrees C for an extra 48 hours following the end of fermentation notification to ensure that any residual sugars have been mopped up. This should not really be necessary but some users have reported that they don’t believe primary fermentation is always complete at the ready to keg stage and that kegging too early could be contributing to this issue as well as possibly causing the Brewflo to dispense foamy pours. It’s worth a try.

Please don’t give up on the Brewflo system and let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Noticed people have an issue with beer leakage. I seem to have an issue every 4 or so kegs leaking air.  When put into Brewflo the compressor constantly re pressurises .  You loose carbonation if you try to reseat the collar and this only seems to work some of the time.  Beer is a bit flatter afterwords so just drink faster!!

4 minutes ago, Gary from Top End said:

Noticed people have an issue with beer leakage. I seem to have an issue every 4 or so kegs leaking air.  When put into Brewflo the compressor constantly re pressurises .  You loose carbonation if you try to reseat the collar and this only seems to work some of the time.  Beer is a bit flatter afterwords so just drink faster!!

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum.
Is it leaking at the collar or at the tube connections?