Citrus Mexican Lager

Will Powell

I was thinking of giving the Azteca brewprint a bit of a lime undertone.

Obvious questions:

How much lime to use?

When to add it?

How to sanitize it?

My gut feel would be to peel a single lime, then soak that peel in vodka for a day or so to sanitize it. I suspect boiling it would kill off some of the subtler flavours, no?

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't add it early on in fermentation, but aren't sure whether I wait for fermentation to end then add it for a couple of days before kegging, or whether to do it earlier?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

40 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

I was thinking of giving the Azteca brewprint a bit of a lime undertone.

Obvious questions:

How much lime to use?

When to add it?

How to sanitize it?

My gut feel would be to peel a single lime, then soak that peel in vodka for a day or so to sanitize it. I suspect boiling it would kill off some of the subtler flavours, no?

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't add it early on in fermentation, but aren't sure whether I wait for fermentation to end then add it for a couple of days before kegging, or whether to do it earlier?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Hi Will, I’ve added lime to a Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit however I used the rind rather than the juice. For 10l I’d grate the rind off 3 nice size limes (before doing this starsan the limes like you would with anything else). If you haven’t got a coffee plunger (cleaned and sanitised) bring a litre of water to the boil, turn off and add the rind (pre grated on sanitised saucer/cup) and steep for 30min. Stir occasionally with a sanitised spoon. If not using a coffee plunger you will need to strain the liquid into the fermenter (sanitised tea strainer? cheese cloth?) which you have already fill to 9 litres, you will need to top up as the original litre with the rind will have evaporated a bit. Now add your yeast and other ingredients and brew away.

cheers Mark

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

I made the bog standard kit - the wife didn't want me putting stuff in it at first.

I'm hoping it develops over time. After 3 weeks it tastes like a sweeter Budwieser.

Ciders generally need a bit of time to settle and mature.

(with any brewing “specials” I brew very early am whilst swmbo sleeps ha)