Spoke Amber Ale

Percy

Hey Crew,

Just thought I would post and advise I have just cracked my Spoke Amber Ale keg after 6 weeks conditioning and more than pleasantly surprised. Not usually my preferred style, but loving it. Will be on my next order of ingredients for sure.

• 2 years later...

Put the Spoke in on Friday night after the Ruby came out. Pretty keen for this since I like a malty beer. Interested to see how the sweetness changes as it ages.

Was going to put in 80g or so of maltodextrin in like someone said in the other thread, but the scales are in my housemate's room, since he uses them most mornings to make protein shakes.

Since it's unfermentable I could probably dissolve it in a little boiling water and put it in now, but I'm too slack. 

Edited by Gillies Brewing

6 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Put the Spoke in on Friday night after the Ruby came out. Pretty keen for this since I like a malty beer. Interested to see how the sweetness changes as it ages.

Was going to put in 80g or so of maltodextrin in like someone said in the other thread, but the scales are in my housemate's room, since he uses them most mornings to make protein shakes.

Since it's unfermentable I could probably dissolve it in a little boiling water and put it in now, but I'm too slack. 

Yes you do need to dissolve it before the droid. A slightly heaped tablespoon would be a good amount. Come on of you bum.😃

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of people have said it's a bit sweet at 2 weeks, but I knew I'd like that so I cracked one.

Delicious. Well carbonated and I don't think it needed the maltodextrin as the mouthfeel is fine and in the headmaster it makes a lovely dense persistent head.

The "creaming soda" of beers

Snapchat-1347860367.thumb.jpg.87a53619a76a799fe5a372157795a700.jpg

I wish I could have another, but I'm "conserving my units" since tomorrow is the first Brewers Of Own Beer Society meeting of the year.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had one now at what must be 5 weeks and it's certainly less sweet. Nice maltiness, but my tongue isn't quite used to the English style ales. I think it gets a little confused by the bitterness in combination with the sweet malt flavour, like burnt toffee. Certainly not unpleasant, just quite different.

I think this is one best let to warm up a few degrees too. It's not a cool, crisp beverage, it's more round and comforting.

5 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I had one now at what must be 5 weeks and it's certainly less sweet. Nice maltiness, but my tongue isn't quite used to the English style ales. I think it gets a little confused by the bitterness in combination with the sweet malt flavour, like burnt toffee. Certainly not unpleasant, just quite different.

I think this is one best let to warm up a few degrees too. It's not a cool, crisp beverage, it's more round and comforting.

Understand, however your observation of sweetness and bitterness is certainly a character of certain but good brews. It’s about the beer in the mouth so to speak, the flavours, the hops, the sweetness, the malt etc but the finish in many brews have that bitterness, certainly not unpleasant and part of the brew characteristics.

• Upvote 1

On 28/02/2022 at 5:11 PM, Gillies Brewing said:

Heaped tablespoon is between 17-25 gms depending how heaped

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...