Forgot to Install Stem

So, I stupidly forgot to install one of the stems (tubes) into one of the kegs upon my first batch of beer.  One keg has worked very well in the brewflow, but the one without the stem does not pressurize.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My fear is, if I remove the top the foam will just come out like a fire hydrant.  I can let that just happen and then install the stem with what's left and put it in the brewflow, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has a suggestion.

7 hours ago, Greg Dockery said:

So, I stupidly forgot to install one of the stems (tubes) into one of the kegs upon my first batch of beer.  One keg has worked very well in the brewflow, but the one without the stem does not pressurize.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My fear is, if I remove the top the foam will just come out like a fire hydrant.  I can let that just happen and then install the stem with what's left and put it in the brewflow, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has a suggestion.

Hi Greg, Mark here. Don’t have the Brewflo myself but suggest you wait a bit as a reply will come. Rob here has experienced similar.

What styles of brews are you into? 

Edited by Barrelboy

I emptied the first keg, got nothing but trub in the last glass so it went into the sink.  I put the keg without the stem, or whatever the correct vernacular for such a thing might be, into the brewflow and connected only the beer line and released pressure.  Surprisingly, there was very little.  I then unscrewed the collar from the keg and was able to put in the stem without any foam or loss of a drop of God's nector.  Success.  Stay at home order be damned.  I have the gold liquid of Brewart cerveza to keep me occupied, for now.  Cheers and prost, y'all.  By the way, first glass from suspect keg came out perfectly. 

32 minutes ago, Greg Dockery said:

I emptied the first keg, got nothing but trub in the last glass so it went into the sink.  I put the keg without the stem, or whatever the correct vernacular for such a thing might be, into the brewflow and connected only the beer line and released pressure.  Surprisingly, there was very little.  I then unscrewed the collar from the keg and was able to put in the stem without any foam or loss of a drop of God's nector.  Success.  Stay at home order be damned.  I have the gold liquid of Brewart cerveza to keep me occupied, for now.  Cheers and prost, y'all.  By the way, first glass from suspect keg came out perfectly. 

Great stuff.
Stay at home order means more brewing, more drinking more excuses to just do that.🍻🍺🍻🍺

Yes sir, I've been working from the dining room table with computer and two monitors for 3 days and will keep that up until further notice.  My company is considered critical so I guess I have a job until this blows over.  This is a great opportunity to work on a garden, ham radio and some darned good beer.  Be well!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Greg Dockery said:

Glad it worked out, they are called keg spears. They were brought in to stop the excessive foaming of peoples kegs ( which was an issue in the beginning. If you don't have one in, you will still be able to pour beer from them. If the pour is a little foamy, then switch the Flo off ( it will keep still keep the keg cold for hours if it has had 12 hours to get it down to 4 degrees)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah I am noticing a noticable improvement with the keg spears . I think i will be getting rid of all my old kegs. I have 15 of the new ones lol . Only a handful of the old ones but i can tell as soon as I put one in the droid lol 

How many old ones do you have? Could you use them for lengthy maturing, eg stouts or high alcohol %?

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

ask Liam to send out spears for the old ones, then the kegs can be used

Didnt think about that. Might ask the question . I have 15 new style kegs . And about 8 of the old ones. The old ones have probably had their day anyways . I am trying to get a bottle collection to have half bottles anyways so probably 15 kegs will see me out lol . Also thinking about capping stout in the future for longer maturation.  Not sure if the kegs would hold for ages either

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Sorry Paul but that’s not the attitude we want to hear lol ha ha. Get the new spears, how can the kegs have had their day. New spears would give a great stock of kegs. Kegs, bottle? Best way to go. Another droid at $400 bucks - bargain? Ha.

My personal opinion is I was to message Liam they usually just send replacements. I dont think i need the replacements. This is the one time the charity of Brewart goes against me. 

Tbh the support that brewart offers is second to none, and i feel like even though i "might" use them I feel its taking advantage of the generosity.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

My personal opinion is I was to message Liam they usually just send replacements. I dont think i need the replacements. This is the one time the charity of Brewart goes against me. 

Tbh the support that brewart offers is second to none, and i feel like even though i "might" use them I feel its taking advantage of the generosity.

Service by Brewart is tops, know what your saying,  just stirring you up👍🙂🙂

Thats ok. I assumed it was a rev up . I just have to give them the ups they deserve. They would bankrupt themselves to keep their customers happy . And i am already happy, a few keg spears and tops arent going to break my bank ...

P.S - finishing the last of my Kremlin stash tonight so messages might go downhill lol 

• Haha 1

I am on the Amrut addition . My last of the night . I am feeling like this is my favourite . Its got all the choc/coffee flavors of the RIS but with the sweet and smokey flavor of the whisky . It is the complex of the ones i made

The RIS is classic flavor , the Makers Mark had a nice sweetness with vanilla notes and the Amrut 😍😍😍

P.s. going to post this is the Kremlin page too 🙂

• Upvote 1