So I just made a Pineapple Crush IPA using a White labs Pure Pitch liquid Californian Ale yeast, link below

https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrewing

I have just bottled this brew and currently the droid is sitting there full of warm water with a droid cleanse tablet in it.

When I was bottling the beer, my last bottle was only half full. So I removed the lid and tipped it back into the droid and stired it with a steralised spoon.

I then got half a bottle of left over yeast and hops out of the droid.

I am going to pour this into my next brew that I am making tonight which is a Jolly Roger pale ale.

What do you guys think?

10 hours ago, Damian Ryan said:

So I just made a Pineapple Crush IPA using a White labs Pure Pitch liquid Californian Ale yeast, link below

https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrewing

I have just bottled this brew and currently the droid is sitting there full of warm water with a droid cleanse tablet in it.

When I was bottling the beer, my last bottle was only half full. So I removed the lid and tipped it back into the droid and stired it with a steralised spoon.

I then got half a bottle of left over yeast and hops out of the droid.

I am going to pour this into my next brew that I am making tonight which is a Jolly Roger pale ale.

What do you guys think?

Harvesting quality yeast is a good thing to do. I trust you have it in the fridge but if not one day will be ok. Now the mixture you have will settle into 3 layers- at the bottom the sediment then the layer of yeast followed by the liquid on top. If you collect in a sterilised glass jar the layers are easy to see and you can seperate. 
You can pour the lot in to your next brew but I’d have some boiled water ready that  has cooled, pour off the liquid beer and replace with the water, mix up and tip into the droid water. This will help to eliminate any potential bacteria.

Cheers, Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I had it in the fridge for a couple of hours only.

I then just poured the lot back into the droid minus some of the the sludge from the bottom of the bottle.

It is fermenting nicely at this stage.

I will keep this post updated.

I did not want to go the full hog with harvesting the yeast as you have described, it was more about using the existing yeast cake and making it as quick and simple as possible.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Damian Ryan said:

Hi Mark,

I had it in the fridge for a couple of hours only.

I then just poured the lot back into the droid minus some of the the sludge from the bottom of the bottle.

It is fermenting nicely at this stage.

I will keep this post updated.

I did not want to go the full hog with harvesting the yeast as you have described, it was more about using the existing yeast cake and making it as quick and simple as possible.

No problems with that, particularly with the quick turnaround. Some even leave it in the fermenter, water in, stir and add the ingredients. With a good yeast like you used you can get at least another brew out of it. I stop at 3 to be on the conservative side.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...