Mud on bottom?

Hey Guys

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is my first go at this operation and really really appreciate the help/advice.

My Wicked Night Brew finished fermentation yesterday and kegged using ikegger system this morning.  Took a small sample prior to adding hop packet and spice tea into keg and to hooking everything up and it tasted clean and beerish but also like a shot of grain alcohol.  Wow the alcohol content seemed high (especially at 8 am in the morning).  Is this normal until it mellows a bit?

Also, after draining the droid and opening the lid, there was some residue on the walls (expected) but almost an inch of light brown mud on the bottom.  Rinsed it clean no problem but was surprised with all this crap remaining.  Is this usual?

Regards and thanks again fellow brew artists

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Hey Guys

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is my first go at this operation and really really appreciate the help/advice.

My Wicked Night Brew finished fermentation yesterday and kegged using ikegger system this morning.  Took a small sample prior to adding hop packet and spice tea into keg and to hooking everything up and it tasted clean and beerish but also like a shot of grain alcohol.  Wow the alcohol content seemed high (especially at 8 am in the morning).  Is this normal until it mellows a bit?

Also, after draining the droid and opening the lid, there was some residue on the walls (expected) but almost an inch of light brown mud on the bottom.  Rinsed it clean no problem but was surprised with all this crap remaining.  Is this usual?

Regards and thanks again fellow brew artists

No problems with the questions, it’s how you learn.

Rob is correct, the brew will mellow, it’s a high alcohol brew. The ring around the upper area relates to fermentation and is from the krausen. The mud at the bottom is called “trub” and it’s the sediment from malts ect after the yeast has eaten the sugars plus yeast itself. 
Cheers Mark.

Hey Andy, sorry about how short my answer was this morning, just up most of the night...but it was a yes to both questions :).

The higher alc beers do taste a bit like a shot of Tequila has been put in them but each week they go on, that disappates, which is kind of dangerous because then you have no idea how dangerous they are

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Rob and Mark

Glad both conditions are normal but really surprised by both.  Having never brewed before, assumed all the ingredients simply dissolved or got eaten up by the yeast.  With all the crap left over, assumed that’s why the initial sample tasted exactly like you say...a shot of tequila.

This may have been a great brew to serve back in my college days.

Regards