Carbonation drops

Alan Batchelor

Hi all, my first completed brew using LME. I used 1/2 can but think for all future brews will use the whole can. Pale Ale dry hopped with 50g of Citra. A very nice drop but I think I over carbonated. I went away from the brewart carb drops because a box of grain sugar cubes are damn cheap. I used 3 per brewart PTE bottle. Think 2 is sufficient. 
It came out very good and finally the odd after  taste is gone, just a whole lot of fizz on the tongue. Think I will rename this Prosecco Pale Ale 🤪

I will be bottling the RYE pale ale in a few days. Very interested in how this turns out.

~Alan

72C9FE57-08D0-4269-AF92-4DB6FAF73F1A.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi all, my first completed brew using LME. I used 1/2 can but think for all future brews will use the whole can. Pale Ale dry hopped with 50g of Citra. A very nice drop but I think I over carbonated. I went away from the brewart carb drops because a box of grain sugar cubes are damn cheap. I used 3 per brewart PTE bottle. Think 2 is sufficient. 
It came out very good and finally the odd after  taste is gone, just a whole lot of fizz on the tongue. Think I will rename this Prosecco Pale Ale 🤪

I will be bottling the RYE pale ale in a few days. Very interested in how this turns out.

~Alan

72C9FE57-08D0-4269-AF92-4DB6FAF73F1A.jpeg

Looks a nice drop Alan. If that’s with the 3 sugar cubes then not bad. Do you know the weight of each cube, off memory 8g (.28oz) per the large bottle.

Cheers

Mark,

I have no clue on the weight to be honest. It would seem I brew beer just like I cook. Dump stuff together and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️ 

Brewing seems to be a lot of rules and regulations, I’m free spirited and go with the flow. Not sure I could make the same brew come out the same twice. I just enjoy experimenting. 

I really should write shit down 🤪

But one thing for sure is I love the versatility of the Driod and I am so glad I got it. 

Alan

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Mark,

I have no clue on the weight to be honest. It would seem I brew beer just like I cook. Dump stuff together and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️ 

Brewing seems to be a lot of rules and regulations, I’m free spirited and go with the flow. Not sure I could make the same brew come out the same twice. I just enjoy experimenting. 

I really should write shit down 🤪

But one thing for sure is I love the versatility of the Driod and I am so glad I got it. 

Alan

No problems with your thinking however would say that the amount of priming sugar can be the difference between flat beer, over carbonated wasted frothy pours or bottle bombs, particularly with glass. (highly dangerous). So in that I’d note and stick to fairly accurate measurements of the carbonation sugar.

Cheers, Mark

h

Mark, I am fully aware of the dangers of glass bottles exploding. But thanks for the tips and link. I will for sure only use 2 cubes from now on. I am using plastic bottles for that very reason. The beer I just opened was not carbonated to the point of exploding, slight release of gas when opened. It was just rather tingly on the tongue. Still very good though

alan

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Mark, I am fully aware of the dangers of glass bottles exploding. But thanks for the tips and link. I will for sure only use 2 cubes from now on. I am using plastic bottles for that very reason. The beer I just opened was not carbonated to the point of exploding, slight release of gas when opened. It was just rather tingly on the tongue. Still very good though

alan

Sorry Alan, I wasn’t assuming you didn’t know about exploding bottles, it’s part of the conversation and part reference to “Dump stuff together and just hope for the best”

Cheers, Mark