Keep those kegs cool during summer

Robert Pretty

Hi Droiders 

Just bottled the Czech Pilsener yesterday afternoon. Store them in the Laundry for the first week or so just in case there are any bottle bombs. Reached 42 degrees today in the Hunter Valley . Enough to strip the keg threads and start leaking. Managed to get another keg collar on and move to a slightly cooler location. Hi w do you guys store in hot weather?

IMG_20201129_150114818.jpg

1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi Droiders 

Just bottled the Czech Pilsener yesterday afternoon. Store them in the Laundry for the first week or so just in case there are any bottle bombs. Reached 42 degrees today in the Hunter Valley . Enough to strip the keg threads and start leaking. Managed to get another keg collar on and move to a slightly cooler location. Hi w do you guys store in hot weather?

Bugger, lucky for me I do live in a pretty mild location, even when it gets hot during the day it cools right down at night. The worst temp my house gets to is 26. In saying that though being a fair wine drinker during my 20s and 30s, finding a location in the centre of the house like a linen cupboard is good as a location where the temperature stays constant.

If that isn't an option, might have to look at the Missus and say "been thinking we need a cellar"... 

5 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi Droiders 

So are you saying that the pressure pushed the collar up?

Yep the cap was screwed correctly. As an aircraft engineer I'm very very specific. It you zoom in on the picture you can see the threads the plastic threads have failed. The only other failure I have had is a leaking orange beer cap. Going to move them to the linen cupboard in the center of the house. Concrete floor double brick house. 

13 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Yep the cap was screwed correctly. As an aircraft engineer I'm very very specific. It you zoom in on the picture you can see the threads the plastic threads have failed. The only other failure I have had is a leaking orange beer cap. Going to move them to the linen cupboard in the center of the house. Concrete floor double brick house. 

I could only imagine the amount of swearing I would have done in that situation.

Yeah the linen cupboard is a good move, my issue is the opposite, for a few months a year, the house temp dips below 15, which inhibits secondary, so I bring cartons of beer into the main room ( I mean it is a veyr large room) which is the one we hang out in and temp control.

As for "bottle bombs", the only way you will get them with Brewart is to over carbonate. I usually dry hop when RTK comes up (which is cool, I generally drink lagers) and leave it until it is about to go to storage...have not had any issues in 2 years.