Kegging With 5L Mini Kegs

Hi folks,  I just got a BeerDroid from Amazon and I am getting ready to keg my first batch; the American Pale that come with it.  I'm very excited to try it.  Unfortunately,  since I live in Canada, none of the BrewArt supplies or accessories are available  here.  I'm thinking about storing the beer in 5L gravity kegs and using a countertop mini kegerator to dispense it.  From what I can see on the kegging video on the website,  the kegging hose seems to friction fit inside the spout of the BeerDroid.  Obviously I will need to sanitize the keg and hose.  Have I missed anything?   Thoughts, suggestions? 

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Hi folks,  I just got a BeerDroid from Amazon and I am getting ready to keg my first batch; the American Pale that come with it.  I'm very excited to try it.  Unfortunately,  since I live in Canada, none of the BrewArt supplies or accessories are available  here.  I'm thinking about storing the beer in 5L gravity kegs and using a countertop mini kegerator to dispense it.  From what I can see on the kegging video on the website,  the kegging hose seems to friction fit inside the spout of the BeerDroid.  Obviously I will need to sanitize the keg and hose.  Have I missed anything?   Thoughts, suggestions? 

No your on the right track. Sanitising the hose is important as is a snug fit. Follow the video and all will be good. Let us know how you go.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Ok , just threw the dry hops in my brew and i am guessing in a day or so I will be setting up to keg . My question with this set up, is I will leave this for around 4 weeks before i will think about carbonating and consuming. Do I need to have the spear on straight away or can I keep the keg sealing cap so I can stack the kegs ( or use the spear elsewhere) ? 

The keg itself is "reasonably" valued but to get a spear for each keg makes the it a costly exercise. 

I am excited to do a compare between the brewflo and the keg with this Hop Sessed Ale . 

20210522_151851.jpg

20210522_151926.jpg

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ok , just threw the dry hops in my brew and i am guessing in a day or so I will be setting up to keg . My question with this set up, is I will leave this for around 4 weeks before i will think about carbonating and consuming. Do I need to have the spear on straight away or can I keep the keg sealing cap so I can stack the kegs ( or use the spear elsewhere) ? 

The keg itself is "reasonably" valued but to get a spear for each keg makes the it a costly exercise. 

I am excited to do a compare between the brewflo and the keg with this Hop Sessed Ale . 

20210522_151851.jpg

20210522_151926.jpg

If you just put 5l of beer into the keg and use the cap then there will be air in the headspace which could effect the beer quality over a long period. (even an infection). So either use the spear and purge the keg with co2 and leave as is or use the spear to purge the keg, leave for about an hour to let the co2 settle then slowly release the pressure by the pressure release valve, remove spear and replace with the cap. The headspace should be mainly co2 which will settle on top of the beer.

Awesome cheers Mark . Yeah I was planning on purging the keg before I fill it just wasnt aure about using the caps or not. These kegs do stack really well so if there was something I wanted to push for a long maturation then would be cool to use the caps. 

• Upvote 1

I sanitize the hell out of everything anyways lol. But yeah will santize the whole show. Only thing that will be interesting will be the filling as i only have the brewflo keg hose lol 

I reckon you should be ok if you pour directly into the keg by tilting it so as the beer hits at the bottom of the internal thread and runs down the side rather than pouring straight in.

• Upvote 1

Ok , so I have kegged my Hop Sessed Ale ( and thrown in a Kremlin) . Have gone one brewart keg and one 5litre mini . Will see how secondary fermentation vs force carb goes in a few weeks. 

@Captain 3 Droids  when you have your kegs in the store room for Maturing do you leave them at pressure during that time ? (IE : set them to a PSI ) 

2 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ok , so I have kegged my Hop Sessed Ale ( and thrown in a Kremlin) . Have gone one brewart keg and one 5litre mini . Will see how secondary fermentation vs force carb goes in a few weeks. 

@Captain 3 Droids  when you have your kegs in the store room for Maturing do you leave them at pressure during that time ? (IE : set them to a PSI ) 

Yes, I purge them at 30psi however even 10psi will do if restricted by soda stream bottle/gauge. The idea is to push out (purge) oxygen out and provide a layer of co2 over the beer (co2 heavier than air). You need to attach co2 to the keg then release the pressure release valve with about 5 short bursts then leave the keg pressurised.

Yeah i purged the keg before filling . But after filling do you throw any CO2 straight in. Speaking to some guys up here they mature at pressure ( 10psi) . Is this something you do , or just carb when your ready to drink

25 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah i purged the keg before filling . But after filling do you throw any CO2 straight in. Speaking to some guys up here they mature at pressure ( 10psi) . Is this something you do , or just carb when your ready to drink

After keg is filled, purge it as my last comment above, then leave it until ready to use (mature at the 10psi) where you then chill the keg and carbonate in the fridge for consumption.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah i did it back to front ( and probably wasted alot of Gas🤣) . I filled the empty keg full of gas , then filled put spear in and then added more Co2 after. Ill do that way next time 🤘. Learning curves

No harm done, putting co2 into the empty keg first isn’t a bad thing anyway, some do it some don’t. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Kegging is going very well.  I finished the American Pale Ale a long time ago.  It was spectacular.   I have been playing around with winemaking and have a batch of  Gerwertztrameiner conditioning in kegs.  Right now I have a Mexican Cervesa brewing  in the Droid.  Incidentally,  I was recently shopping at my local grocery and what do you suppose I found in the soda aisle?   A whole mess of Coopers beer making supplies.  These are the kegs I'm using.  I got them from Advetures in Brewing.

20210731_150559.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1