Bohemain V Bavarian Lager

Firstly, having fun with this experiment but

Exact same ingredients except for the hops choice and interesting what changes are there in the two lagers. This isn't just in taste either, whilst I think that Boho drinks fine at 4-7 weeks, I believe it drinks like a demon in week 8. There is so much balance in the flavours at that point of time which makes it pretty much my favourite beer, the saaz hops just shine.

Then you have the Bavarian, which drinks very well early, the 3-6 week mark of that beer, with the Hallertau hops make this a great beer to drink. I'd go as far to say it is a bit of a disappointment at 8-9 weeks; still a nice beer but not quite as good as it is early.

Is it just the hops that can create this difference, is it just me and i have issues ( and lets face it, I do), I mean I can understand the taste difference, that part makes sense but the timing diffence doesn't make sense.

Looking at you @BrewArt Team

But anyone else find this difference?  

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Firstly, having fun with this experiment but

Exact same ingredients except for the hops choice and interesting what changes are there in the two lagers. This isn't just in taste either, whilst I think that Boho drinks fine at 4-7 weeks, I believe it drinks like a demon in week 8. There is so much balance in the flavours at that point of time which makes it pretty much my favourite beer, the saaz hops just shine.

Then you have the Bavarian, which drinks very well early, the 3-6 week mark of that beer, with the Hallertau hops make this a great beer to drink. I'd go as far to say it is a bit of a disappointment at 8-9 weeks; still a nice beer but not quite as good as it is early.

Is it just the hops that can create this difference, is it just me and i have issues ( and lets face it, I do), I mean I can understand the taste difference, that part makes sense but the timing diffence doesn't make sense.

Looking at you @BrewArt Team

But anyone else find this difference?  

I also note the projected fermentation times differ, one is 9-12 days the other 9-20 days, can’t work out why that would be as hops don’t have an influence on that as after EOF. 
I do think hop varieties can play a part in premium consumption times due to the style, alpha acid % relating to potential bitterness thus more time to mature?

44 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I also note the projected fermentation times differ, one is 9-12 days the other 9-20 days, can’t work out why that would be as hops don’t have an influence on that as after EOF. 
I do think hop varieties can play a part in premium consumption times due to the style, alpha acid % relating to potential bitterness thus more time to mature?

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable reason to why. I have noticed that beer with Hersbrucker tends to drink really well 3-5 weeks, like the Rob premium and the last Aus Premium I made. I mean, if I coud sell that beer I made at 3-5 weeks and have people drink it...I'd be in the money...8 weeks, not so sure

• Upvote 1