Optimal secondary fermentation times when bottling

26 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

This probably asking a bit much but is there a list somewhere indicating the ideal bottled storage periods for the range of Brewprints available?

No, not to my knowledge however as a general rule (for glass bottles)

high alcohol ales 6% + (particularly dark ale and stouts) 12 weeks plus, plus.

most general ales 6 to 8 weeks

Lagers can vary  quite a bit and dependent on own taste to some degree. There are the early drinkers, 2 to 4 weeks after the carbonation period up to 10 - 12 weeks.

The above of course is my opinion, but for me about right.

• Upvote 2

oooooooooo SO excited to see that list.   You've done the hard yards mate, and happy to know i've got TWO goats going (one with *OMG* Kveik yeast), an LML shelved waiting for 8 weeks (that AIN'T happening) and an EPD print ready to chuck on.... thanks for the short list, ya legend!

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2021 at 1:37 PM, Eltham Brewing House said:

This probably asking a bit much but is there a list somewhere indicating the ideal bottled storage periods for the range of Brewprints available?

Agree with the captain on this. It is all research really, there is a lot to be said for at least trying some of a brew at 8 weeks. Some of the lagers I drink are best drunk 3-6 weeks, some of them just don't hit their straps until 7-8 weeks. I have only tried a few ales but something like West Coast Pale...I thought it drank really well at 4 months.

As to high alcohol...I had made a Belgian strong and that at 4 months, was very easy drinking, deceptively so

• Upvote 2

On 12/04/2021 at 4:57 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Lawn Mower Lager, English Pub Draught, Coopers XPA, The G-O-A-T Amber Ale, and out of many California Steam. 
However there are so many close, it’s my list at the moment. 🤔😀

Sorry J P as I miss read your question and gave my top 5 at the moment not “early” drinkers so:-

Lawn Mower Lager and English Pub Draught still in there plus Golden Days of Summer, Revolution Dark Lager and Highlands IPA.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J P said:

Cheers fellas.  That’s a great list to work off. 🙂. Envious of the Lomg secondaries you guys seem to be able to  pull off.  Getting there as I amass various kegging vessels. 🤣

It’s not that easy building up stock and holding off drinking some brews too early. I know a few brewers (including self) who at the start of their home brew adventure would continue buying slabs until stocks etc achieved.

• Upvote 1