Bottle vs Keg - UI suggestion

T D

Hi team,

Just had one of my beers pop up on my phone as finished conditioning and it gave me an idea!

From a UI perspective, I think it would be cool to select whether you kegged/bottled your beer and if you bottled how many you did, just so you can keep track of your stockpile etc.

let me know what you think, or if there is already a dedicated thread for this idea 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, T D said:

Hi team,

Just had one of my beers pop up on my phone as finished conditioning and it gave me an idea!

From a UI perspective, I think it would be cool to select whether you kegged/bottled your beer and if you bottled how many you did, just so you can keep track of your stockpile etc.

let me know what you think, or if there is already a dedicated thread for this idea 

Sounds like a good idea, put it into community suggestions

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, T D said:

Hi team,

You can do that now for each brew in the Journal section of the app.

5 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

That’s just for noting it right?

I mean more in the shelf section where it just shows kegs, instead you could select bottles 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

You could do it that way. But @T D's suggestion would be more elegant.

A third tab on the "Shelf" " titled "Bottles" and then each completed brew entry has three fields as opposed to the two currently used for kegs  - "Quantity", "Due", "Total".

Other than the database changes the only programming required is a step in the there when a brew is completed to trigger an entry being created in either the "Keg" or "Bottles" table. 

I can see why they've kept this simple to date.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

This could get complicated.  I keg one 5L Mini-Keg and bottle the remainder.  I use one-pint bottles and usually get from ten to twelve bottles.  If I were bottling in longnecks, there would be more bottles but not always the same number.  This would be a very tricky thing to code into the BrewArt app.  Also, the complexity would render the app more difficult to use for the average brewer - who may be only kegging.

I suggest a spreadsheet for those who desire individual bottle details and records.  Unfortunately this would require manual updating of the spreadsheet - something I would not be willing to do.

I will continue to use my old method of monitoring inventory.  It usually goes, "Oh dang it, I'm out of Lawn Mower Lager!"

• Haha 1

On 23/07/2022 at 1:27 PM, Thagomizer said:

This could get complicated.  I keg one 5L Mini-Keg and bottle the remainder.  I use one-pint bottles and usually get from ten to twelve bottles.  If I were bottling in longnecks, there would be more bottles but not always the same number.  This would be a very tricky thing to code into the BrewArt app.  Also, the complexity would render the app more difficult to use for the average brewer - who may be only kegging.

I suggest a spreadsheet for those who desire individual bottle details and records.  Unfortunately this would require manual updating of the spreadsheet - something I would not be willing to do.

I will continue to use my old method of monitoring inventory.  It usually goes, "Oh dang it, I'm out of Lawn Mower Lager!"

Building off your default conditioning timer suggestion - which is not a bad idea really, then perhaps from a UI perspective they could make that entire function of the app user definable.

i.e. Default conditioning value, vessel name, volume and even image (or choose from a standard library of images) ... it's not difficult to program. BrewArt just need to see the value for their user base in doing so. 

I quite like the BrewArt app and still prefer to use some of its features beyond just monitoring the Droids and I also have Brewfather which is so feature rich that you could almost run a brewery from it.