Queensland Gold

Definitely still needs a couple of weeks, like Rob said. Booze taste is a bit rough and malt is a bit light on. Some nice mild bitterness and a little hop aroma. Totally needs time to develop before a real assessment.

Can definitely see it ending up at least like a fourex clone in a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing how it goes, especially the chilli version.

Snapchat-1566831139.thumb.jpg.c1f10efdb15573041a27d691e1e33582.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having some good Ilan kaikai today, Pig Blood Stew, which is rich and salty and not everyone's cuppa tea but I love it. It's at its best getting home late at night after many beers when you get home, but that wasn't on today's agenda so I made sure I had a beer with it.

Snapchat-187360.thumb.jpg.1530d2a8e17f02bef52e019a32d0e8ef.jpg

4 weeks in the regular Faux-Ex is not quite the real deal. A slight sour fore-taste (not like it's infected, beer is just naturally acidic and there's not as much to cover that), and a bit thinner tasting. Still some malt and hops coming through at the end, which tastes just like XXXX. Head has improved but doesn't stick around (neither does the original but this is less than that too). Bubbles getting a bit smaller and the headmaster was still releasing a good constant stream until the end of the meal.

Unless there's a significant change in the next few weeks I wouldn't really recommend this one unless you're using it as a base for something like chilli beer. Nothing bad about it, just I understand there's better brewprints in the same ball park.

Edited by Gillies Brewing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

using it as a base for something like chilli beer.

Yes some beers do need a kick like that or some dry hops with a strong flavour profile. I used to chilli the Coopers Mexican Cerveza as it was fairly weak on its own. Some use lemon.

My desire for pig blood was killed many many years ago when I bought some black pudding (always try before you criticise). The only positive was it spread well on my lunchtime sandwiches. After I made mention of this awful stuff I was informed that I was supposed to fry it.😂

• Haha 2

Update: I just had the 2nd half of the bottle, which I'd put in the freezer to try and settle the yeast, and it's like a whole new beer when it's extra cold. A lot more comparable to Gold, probably neck and neck. Still probably won't brew again without chilli but it's now definitely delivering what it promised. Side note, one big positive for this beer was I was very impressed how clear it is!

Edited by Gillies Brewing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Update: I just had the 2nd half of the bottle, which I'd put in the freezer to try and settle the yeast, and it's like a whole new beer when it's extra cold. A lot more comparable to Gold, probably neck and neck. Still probably won't brew again without chilli but it's now definitely delivering what it promised. Side note, one big positive for this beer was I was very impressed how clear it is!

Interesting to see where it gets to at 8 weeks, it's the usual sweetspot in a lot of Brewprints

• Upvote 1

I think the super chilling and getting up on 5 weeks is turning a corner here. Head even stuck around a minute, but wasn't super carbonated after that. I'd make it again, but I'd do a full chilli batch. Next week or the week after I'll have one of the regular ones to see if that's going to hit an "even better than the real thing" stage or not. Currently not offensive but just nothing special

Snapchat-355830503.thumb.jpg.88e2b1706eb8401d090aa7518fa7663c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Other than chilli how about a boost of dry hops, Galaxy. Citra?

The original recipe uses hersbrucker, I think, which you could dry hop. Galaxy or citra would definitely make it a different kind of beer, which might be good. I think really it delivers what it promised at this point, and rather than trying to improve it, it would be more fun to experiment with other brewprints. The chilli beer is a success though, and the dry, mild beer complements that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the comparison from Friday night:Snapchat-883146846.thumb.jpg.be11ba609bb0d605f789404669daf501.jpg

Original on the left, brewart at 8 weeks on the right.

Definitely a big difference. The brewart is much lighter and less bodied. I even poured it second, but I've seen it pour a better head before so maybe it was some residue on the the glass or my pouring method this time.

Qld Gold tastes more like what you think a xxxx tastes like, but next to the real thing it's clear that it's more like a xxxx dry or summer. The brewart has a crisper flavour and a very clear straw colour, while the xxxx is maltier, bitterest, and has that slightly funny aftertaste you get in some commercial brews. I was impressed that the original kept its head in the headmaster all the way to the bottom

QLD Gold isn't a "bad" beer, nothing off or wrong about it and I could drink a lot of it in a night, it's just not got any flash like other BrewArt beers, and not really a clone either. I'd definitely add a little maltodextrin and swap out the X5 Dextrose for basically any other ingredient.

This was the second half poured. A bit less clear since some yeast mixed in.Snapchat-360858380.thumb.jpg.0f86426f0612ec85c9e1fd615c1613be.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok so I finally opened the German yeast gold. Amazing flavour for a mid strength. Went down a treat at cricket.

When I went out to the shed I realized the control version has been sitting in storage in the droid for the last 120 days. Kegging it now, sniff test of the keg after seems a bit... not off exactly but not right. Worth giving it a couple of weeks to see if it's drinkable? 

Edited by Wolf
  • Upvote 1