Queensland Gold

I noticed there was no topic for this beer. Probably for good reason since one review says "Tastes just like the real thing!"

Anyway I'm brewing the Faux-ex now for my first brew since it seems a pretty simple one and I don't mind if I drink it green while waiting for others to mature a bit longer. Plus if I'm completely honest as a Queenslander I don't hate a Gold (There's a reason there's a XXXX clone in the store and no VB 😉).

Anyway I'll update as I go!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I noticed there was no topic for this beer. Probably for good reason since one review says "Tastes just like the real thing!"

Anyway I'm brewing the Faux-ex now for my first brew since it seems a pretty simple one and I don't mind if I drink it green while waiting for others to mature a bit longer. Plus if I'm completely honest as a Queenslander I don't hate a Gold (There's a reason there's a XXXX clone in the store and no VB 😉).

Well as a Queenslander, I'm happy for you to rep this beer, I won't be going anywhere near it. 🤣

Cheers 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Interested in your findings on this one, that one and the Top end lager are both cheap to make, mid strength beers. Whilst the originals are fine in the right circumstances, I'm sure with a bit of experiments the Brewart versions may kick a few, unexpected goals

The only way those two will kick goals, is if they are DH with at least 50g of something. 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Understand your logic, I think. Will be interested in your findings. I was given a slab of the xxxx some years ago, it was that good it lasted 6mths and only had a can when I wasn’t able to remember it 😂

However, it’s a good one to brew for your first brew.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I'm sure with a bit of experiments the Brewart versions may kick a few, unexpected goals

1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

The only way those two will kick goals, is if they are DH with at least 50g of something. 🤣

Funny you guys should say that, my plan is to make half of it into chilli beer. I know the Aztec and Top End are probably better suited but I tried it the other day with a commercial xxxx I found at home and some chilli flakes and it really worked. My neighbour grows habaneros too which should add a fruity spice.

Already had my first drama because we had a 12hr power cut (remote living FML). I'm impressed the temperature only moved 3°, but when it reconnected to the servers and app it still reads on the unit that it's still in propagate 4hrs in, so I guess it's gonna be a 20hr propagate. Probably not all bad in the scheme of things, but I'd be less worried if it wasn't a lager...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Understand your logic, I think. Will be interested in your findings. I was given a slab of the xxxx some years ago, it was that good it lasted 6mths and only had a can when I wasn’t able to remember it 😂

However, it’s a good one to brew for your first brew.

I’m going to go easy on him … sort of.

About 10 years ago I spent 6 months living in Karumba and working in the Gulf region or Outback By The Sea as they call it … we definitely drank some XXXX and Great Northern and paid overs for it too.

Add fresh prawns off the trawler or a Barrumundi Burger and both became drinkable … because it was f#%*ing hot!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

The humidity does funny things to a person and his palate...

Even a GN can be just what the doctor ordered on the right day...

I will take a Coopers Pale Ale any day, that's my go-to after a hot days farm work or mountain bike ride. Now I brew it. Funny thing is my wife's favorite is the Bombshell Blonde, I can't say she has no taste, as she married me. Rob C has convinced me that Lagers are ok. Have done the Czech Pilsner, Dusk cerzera, corona clone, and just bottled the Lawnmower. The Old Saxon Schwarzbeir is the best tasting lager so far. Do enjoy a good stout or porter . Trying to be more lager open minded. Seriously no lager compares to a good Ale , especially an IPA.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Trying to be more lager open minded. Seriously no lager compares to a good Ale , especially an IPA.

Would tend to agree, love ales and was an ale only drinker/brewer until the Droid and in part Rob C. I’m enjoying the lagers, they are refreshing an easy drinkers. However on a stinking hot day the English Pub Draught is for me as a first choice (and I’ve never been to England)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

I will take a Coopers Pale Ale any day, that's my go-to after a hot days farm work or mountain bike ride. Now I brew it. Funny thing is my wife's favorite is the Bombshell Blonde, I can't say she has no taste, as she married me. Rob C has convinced me that Lagers are ok. Have done the Czech Pilsner, Dusk cerzera, corona clone, and just bottled the Lawnmower. The Old Saxon Schwarzbeir is the best tasting lager so far. Do enjoy a good stout or porter . Trying to be more lager open minded. Seriously no lager compares to a good Ale , especially an IPA.

I can be swayed on a lager but I tend to agree re ales.

For me a fresh Coopers Pale Ale on a hot day is about as good as it gets.

I got the notification that its starting temperature ramping at 5am this morning, 3d11h into the brew. Much earlier than I expected, maybe this is normal but all the indications on the site and reviews were this is about a 9+ day brew. Maybe the 24hr propagate gave it an extra kick along.

Will this affect the taste? Will it matter since its XXXX Gold anyway?
The answer remains to be seen...

Anyway still happily bubbling along at 15o but less intensely now it's lower in sugar.

If it's approaching EOF can I put the hop oil in sooner to save letting it mingle for 24hrs after it's done?

1 minute ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I got the notification that its starting temperature ramping at 5am this morning, 3d11h into the brew. Much earlier than I expected, maybe this is normal but all the indications on the site and reviews were this is about a 9+ day brew. Maybe the 24hr propagate gave it an extra kick along.

Will this affect the taste? Will it matter since its XXXX Gold anyway?
The answer remains to be seen...

Anyway still happily bubbling along at 15o but less intensely now it's lower in sugar.

If it's approaching EOF can I put the hop oil in sooner to save letting it mingle for 24hrs after it's done?

The ramping to 15C at that time is about right, it will sit there for a while and do another ramp to 17C.

18 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

6d11h in and I got EoF

Hops in, bottling tomorrow.

I had a wee taste and it was like how I picture unhopped, uncarbonated, unconditioned would taste at 9am. So uh not great but nothing "untoward" or too funky or anything. No obvious signs of infection 🙂

20220114_111551.thumb.jpg.e476e96eb3bd52f05f3816935e6c94d6.jpg

Now that does look good, clear and will be so much better carbonated and in the bottle. Your on your way, you’ll be the envy of Thursday Island?

• Upvote 2

All bottled up! Did 6 bottles regular, then sanitised up my chopping board and knife and mug and chopped up 3 habaneros from a friend's garden and a "long red" chilli from the shop plus some chilli flakes, and made a bit of a tea then dumped the whole thing in with the chillis. I left it to infuse for 4 hours or so. I tasted it a bit and it was appropriately spicy. Ended up with 8 bottles of that, put through the dry hop filter176614163_headmastersmall(2).thumb.jpg.2d0cb77f3eae6612e9cf412a334e4044.jpg1030046029_headmastersmall(3).thumb.jpg.9d1613faee073c512f3fa60088b44f09.jpg. I'll see what happens in 2 weeks! Droid cleanse in the machine now and going to put the Golden Days of Summer in shortly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

All bottled up! Did 6 bottles regular, then sanitised up my chopping board and knife and mug and chopped up 3 habaneros from a friend's garden and a "long red" chilli from the shop plus some chilli flakes, and made a bit of a tea then dumped the whole thing in with the chillis. I left it to infuse for 4 hours or so. I tasted it a bit and it was appropriately spicy. Ended up with 8 bottles of that, put through the dry hop filter176614163_headmastersmall(2).thumb.jpg.2d0cb77f3eae6612e9cf412a334e4044.jpg1030046029_headmastersmall(3).thumb.jpg.9d1613faee073c512f3fa60088b44f09.jpg. I'll see what happens in 2 weeks! Droid cleanse in the machine now and going to put the Golden Days of Summer in shortly.

Probably a better idea in 4-6 weeks

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

That's either going to taste great or you'll sh*t yourself.

Either way it'll be an interesting brew.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Probably a better idea in 4-6 weeks

I was gonna try 1 of each at 2 weeks then give it some more time.

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

That's either going to taste great or you'll sh*t yourself.

Either way it'll be an interesting brew.

May well do both ... Might not be able to have more than one of the chilli one at a time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I was gonna try 1 of each at 2 weeks then give it some more time.

May well do both ... Might not be able to have more than one of the chilli one at a time. 

That's the best bit, seeing how the beer evolves over time and it is not a hard and fast rule with all brews, even types like lager/pilsners for intance. There are two brews Bohemian and Bavarain lager and the only difference between the two is the hops, one has Saaz (Bohemian) and the other Hallertau, yet the Bohemian drinks OK at 3 to 4 weeks but is better at the 7-8 weeks; yet the Bavarian rocks at 3-4 weeks.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks down the line I cracked the chilli dregs one with a mate. We agreed the chilli level was great (nice zing, some fruitiness, but not that "nasal" chilli flavour that makes you want to hurl, and not overpowering) but the beer was a bit lacking. I kinda expected that at 2 weeks. The carbonation was more like soft drink, large bubbles, no head really. The beer was a bit light on for flavour other than the chilli.

Not undelicious by any means though! No infections or "off" flavours, just needs time to develop.

I'll crack one of the non chilli ones tomorrow with a real fourex to just get a more accurate picture of where it's at. I'll maybe post a picture too. Then I'll give it another 2+ weeks before I start making any real judgements.

Edited by Gillies Brewing