Stout-Off

I'm still a while off my next order, but that can't stop me daydreaming, so I've been wondering....

There's a few fairly similar sounding stouts on the list and my reading hasn't really come to many useful conclusions. I was wondering therefore what people's preferences and tasting notes on the following similar brews are.

4-Leaf vs. Traditional Irish Stout

Coopers Best Extra Stout (Coopers Yellow?) vs. Coopers Special Old Stout

Always loved a tallie or 2 of Yellow in the park with the punks, and when I was 18 I'd talk friends into drinking guinness and polish theirs off for them when they couldn't finish it so I wouldn't mind brewing something like either of those.

Edited by Gillies Brewing
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Now that is a great drop

That's what I want to hear! I was leaning towards it to try something different (something Special?) Any tasting notes for it? How does it compare to the Yellow?

4 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Ruby and Shadow Hill Porter's are also good.

I've got all the ingredients for a Ruby lined up, it will be going in soon. I didn't include the Ruby, Baltic and Shadow Porters and the Kremlin in the list because they all seem to have a clear point of difference. Definitely still interested to hear what people think of them too

22 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I'm still a while off my next order, but that can't stop me daydreaming, so I've been wondering....

There's a few fairly similar sounding stouts on the list and my reading hasn't really come to many useful conclusions. I was wondering therefore what people's preferences and tasting notes on the following similar brews are.

4-Leaf vs. Traditional Irish Stout

Coopers Best Extra Stout (Coopers Yellow?) vs. Coopers Special Old Stout

Always loved a tallie or 2 of Yellow in the park with the punks, and when I was 18 I'd talk friends into drinking guinness and polish theirs off for them when they couldn't finish it so I wouldn't mind brewing something like either of those.

4 Leaf is pretty good. Really can't compare it against other  stouts except to say I went and had a pint of Guiness off tap which I thought the Four Leaf stacked up very well against

• Upvote 1

Everything on the store makes 4 Leaf sound better than the Traditional Irish. The Traditional Irish has 2 reviews both saying it's missing something while the 4 Leaf hasn't got any reviews at all on there but in the forum Rob and others reckon it goes allright.

Whichever one I went I'd be tempted to try adding a dose of maltodextrin or oat milk to try and up the body and get a denser head on it

14 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

@Gillies Brewing, these stouts and porters taste better with time. I would be leaving them a min 8 weeks before drinking. Longer the better. If you drink them early you might be disappointed.

Very true, I have crown sealed long necks and 500ml bottles of BIAB stouts that are 10yrs old and absolutely delicious. So much so you could pour them over ice cream. Also have a Darwin 2.25l stubbie and a couple of long necks of 9yr old Russia Imperial Stout, I’m sure is around 12 to 13%. Had a bottle about 2 yrs back and made a noted comment of “oh bloody hell, you ripper”

• Like 3