Hop Nation Jedi Juice - instructions clarification

Liquid Gold

Just came across the Shem Cheat Sheet and found an interesting, and what appears to be a simple process for Hop Nation Jedi Juice. The instructions are below and I have placed my questions in the list if anyone can help? I haven't done a custom brew yet. Thanks.

BIAB: 150gm Marris Otter, 100gm Oat Flakes @ 70 deg 1 hr - Remove bag

Q1. What volume of water?

Boil @ 90 deg 30 min

Q2. Assume I would lose some volume. how much water should be left for transfer into the droid?

Cool, add to droid

Q3. Do I now add the Brew Print ingredients in the receipt? 4 x E1, X2, Y3

Q4. What settings/selection do I chose on the droid?

EOF Dry Hop: Citra 20g, Nelson Sauvin 20g, Mosaic 20gm, Idaho7 30gm

Q5. Do I have to keep an eye on the process or will I be prompted to add the hops?

Q6. How long will I keep it in the droid before key transfer or will the droid also prompt me like normal?

I think that's it for now. Thanks your any help.

Liam

• Upvote 2

On 10/09/2022 at 11:33 PM, Liquid Gold said:

Just came across the Shem Cheat Sheet and found an interesting, and what appears to be a simple process for Hop Nation Jedi Juice. The instructions are below and I have placed my questions in the list if anyone can help? I haven't done a custom brew yet. Thanks.

BIAB: 150gm Marris Otter, 100gm Oat Flakes @ 70 deg 1 hr - Remove bag

Q1. What volume of water?

Boil @ 90 deg 30 min

Q2. Assume I would lose some volume. how much water should be left for transfer into the droid?

Cool, add to droid

Q3. Do I now add the Brew Print ingredients in the receipt? 4 x E1, X2, Y3

Q4. What settings/selection do I chose on the droid?

EOF Dry Hop: Citra 20g, Nelson Sauvin 20g, Mosaic 20gm, Idaho7 30gm

Q5. Do I have to keep an eye on the process or will I be prompted to add the hops?

Q6. How long will I keep it in the droid before key transfer or will the droid also prompt me like normal?

I think that's it for now. Thanks your any help.

Liam

I can try to answer your questions here.

Q1. It depends on what you want your final ABV to be. As it stands, the 4x E1 and 1x X2 = 5% ABV.
If you aim to have 2.5 litres of wort into the Droid (and then top up with water to achieve the 10l) and that you want to achieve say another 2% ABV, then start with 4 litres of water when you mash your grains. During the 30 minute boil, you will lose about 1.5l and you will end up with 2.5l of wort which will be approximately 2% ABV.
This means you're final ABV would be around 7%
If you want a final ABV of say 6%, then start with 6.5l of water and you will have approximately 5l of wort to go into the Droid (and then top up with 5l of additional water to meet the 10l needed in the Droid) at 1% ABV.

Q2. Answered above.
Generally, a 30 minute boil will boil off approximately 1.5l. But that does depend on the size of your vessel and some other factors but it's a reasonable guess. Therefore:
If a desired final ABV of 6%:
Mash water 6.5l, post boil volume 5l, additional water 5l to make 10l in the Droid
If a desired final ABV of 7%
Mash water 4l, post boil volume 2.5, additional water 7.5l to make 10l in the Droid

Remember to cool the wort down to about 30°C before adding to the Droid.

Q3. After adding the cooled wort and topping up with water, add your yeast, Y3 or try something like the LalBrew Verdant IPA Yeast, then add the 4x E1 and 1x X2

On this point, I did check and I see that the suggested yeast for the Jedi Juice Clone is Y3 but for the life of me, I don't understand why.
From the BrewArt website, "A neutral yet vigorous fermenting strain. Ferments out clear", Fermenting out clear or high flocculation is not what you want for a NEIPA which is what Jedi Juice is. If you must use a BrewArt yeast, then I would suggest Y2, which is the same as used for the Hazy IPA custom recipe.
If you haven't made your purchase yet, then look for a local home brew shop (LHB) and see if you can get your hands on the Verdant IPA from LalBrew as I suggested above.

Q4. I would suggest the following custom programs:
If using Y3, Propagate: 20°C, Ferment: 16°C, Keg: 16°C, Store: 4°C, Dry Hop YES
If using Verdant IPA, Propagate: 21°C, Ferment: 20°C, Keg: 16°C, Store: 4°C, Dry Hop YES

Q5. If you select the Dry Hop option, then you will be prompted to add your dry hop addition when fermentation is nearing the end.
Simply, weigh out your hops (Citra 20g, Nelson Sauvin 20g, Mosaic 20gm, Idaho 7 30gm), make sure you are using sanatised containers to do so and then open the lid on the Droid and quickly drop in the hops and close the lid.

Then on the front panel of the Droid, press the tick button to confirm you have added the hops.

Q6. Once you dry hop it will follow the normal routine. Dry hop for 2 days at 16°C and then cold crash for 2 days at 4°C after which it will move to kegging mode automatically. You can either keg at that time or move it to storage mode.

A few tips for the brew in a bag (BiAB) mashing:

2015984889_1stAllGrainbrew_NEIPA002.thumb.jpg.f8a1eb8677a98a85fb79ecd01e26fe55.jpg

• You will achieve a better result if you have a decent thermometer to check your temperatures; before you add your grains, after adding grains and throughout the 60 minute mash time
  • Before you add the grains, I would actually go for a temperature above the target mash temperature of 70°C which is called your "mash in temperature" of several degrees above your mash target so maybe 73°C because when you add the grains it will cool down the water
  • Once you have added your grain, stir in and look for any clumps of grain called "dough balls" and make sure that there are no clumps and that every grain is "wet"
  • Once your grain is well stirred in and no dough balls make sure you're at the target 70°C and then cover your pot with as many towels and other items to keep it at the desired temperature
  • Check the mash temperature a few times and don't hesitate to give the grains a stir when you are doing so

860916332_1stAllGrainbrew_NEIPA007.thumb.jpg.33a924c864b62f57764b68543163bb5c.jpg

• At the end of the 60 minute mash, when you pull out the bag of spent grain, I suggest using a cooling rack or similar to sit the grain bag on to allow it to drip all that sugar water goodness back into the pot
  • DO NOT hesitate to squeeze the crap out of the bag to get as much of that sugar water (wort) out of the bag
  • While you wait for the wort to drip out of the bag and squeezing it out, turn your element or gas onto high to get a start on the boil

249497140_1stAllGrainbrew_NEIPA003.thumb.jpg.ab3abcba91bedb2609ee1278c80e5ebe.jpg

The attached pictures are from my BiaB set up before I moved to a Nano all in one brewery.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any more questions, we are all here to help.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1