Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have recently seen promotions of "Thiolized" yeast strains.  They claim to "biotransform" compounds found in hops and malts to unlock thiols which are supposed to bring out more fruity essences.  There are several specific strains of thiolized yeast or a thiol powder addition for regular yeasts.  I found them at https://www.midwestsupplies.com/.  (Search for "Thiol" on the site.  Several products.)

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this?  

Is this already a factor in BrewArt yeasts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

G 'Day Thagomizer,

Thiols are definitely the hot topic in the brewing world at the moment due to their massive aroma potential. 
Thiols are high impact aroma compounds found in Malt and Hops, (think tropical aromas of passionfruit, guava, and grapefruit) Thiols have an extremely low taste threshold and can be detected in the parts per trillion (for comparison yeast esters are detectable in the parts per million)

They can be in free form or bound precursor form. There are plenty of thiol precursors in your beer already which just need to be unlocked, to do this you need a 'thiolised yeast' to unlock the precursor thiols through biotransformation. 

Thiolised yeast have been genetically modified using CRISPR technology and unfortunately genetically modified organisms are banned in Australia. 

I would love the opportunity to play with them, but we'll have to wait for a hybrid version to be bred in a lab 'naturally'.   

So long story short, no we do not have a thiolised yeast available, but you can definitely experiment with them. Check out a product called phantasm powder if you do decide to use the yeast :)

We'll all be keen to hear the results! 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:



Thiolised yeast have been genetically modified using CRISPR technology and unfortunately genetically modified organisms are banned in Australia. 

 

Geez, when they said "things wouldn't be easy under Albenese" I never though they meant stuffing up my beer. Every election Labor moves further away from their working class roots...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  I may experiment with this - and will be using BrewArt elements and enhancers, if so.

I hope the USA Luddites don't ruin it here.

So far, we Yanks have a choice.  Products are labelled "Non GMO" or not.  We decide.

I hope I haven't stepped on any land mines here. 🤨

Edited by Thagomizer
grammer correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2022 at 3:50 AM, Rob Courtney said:

Geez, when they said "things wouldn't be easy under Albenese" I never though they meant stuffing up my beer. Every election Labor moves further away from their working class roots...

We have the same problem with the democrat party in the USA.  They intend to control our lives in every way - all for our own good, of course.

"This is for your own good," is what I said to my former Tomcat on the way to the vet's for his little operation.  (He did live a quieter and easy life after his dates were cancelled.)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/09/2022 at 8:00 PM, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day Thagomizer,

Thiols are definitely the hot topic in the brewing world at the moment due to their massive aroma potential. 
Thiols are high impact aroma compounds found in Malt and Hops, (think tropical aromas of passionfruit, guava, and grapefruit) Thiols have an extremely low taste threshold and can be detected in the parts per trillion (for comparison yeast esters are detectable in the parts per million)

They can be in free form or bound precursor form. There are plenty of thiol precursors in your beer already which just need to be unlocked, to do this you need a 'thiolised yeast' to unlock the precursor thiols through biotransformation. 

Thiolised yeast have been genetically modified using CRISPR technology and unfortunately genetically modified organisms are banned in Australia. 

I would love the opportunity to play with them, but we'll have to wait for a hybrid version to be bred in a lab 'naturally'.   

So long story short, no we do not have a thiolised yeast available, but you can definitely experiment with them. Check out a product called phantasm powder if you do decide to use the yeast :)

We'll all be keen to hear the results! 

Thanks for all the info.  I am now on a waiting list for some Phantasm Thiol Powder.  

I would appreciate suggestions on the best BrewPrints to take advantage of this product.  Although I require an occasional stout or porter, my favorite BrewPrint is Lawnmower Lager.  Other dry-hopped lagers are among my chosen brews.

Cheers. 🤨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...