How Long does it take to get to KEG Temperature?

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 8:32 PM, Chris Tuffield said:

My Current Brew has finished sitting at 4 degress. Needs to go to 18 degrees for Kegging.

(Estimate) How long does the Beer Driod take to take to get from 4c to 18c?

Appreciate your help in Advance

@Chris Tuffield there is absolutely nothing stopping you from kegging at 4°C.

I exclusively keg at that temperature and whilst I've had a few issues, those issues aren't related to temperature but rather, the amount of hops that I use in my brews and that using an all grain wort produces more trub.

One of the big advantages when kegging at 4°C into a stainless steel corny keg is that I can see by the condensation ring that forms on the outside of the keg how much I've filled it. It's then also at serving temp and I just need to add carbonation.

If doing secondary fermentation, as @Captain 3 Droids says, once the yeast warms up, it will reactivate and with the introduction of sugars, will start fermenting happily.

Personally, the 3 hours or so it takes to move from 4° to 16° is time I can use cleaning and prepping the Droid for it's next brew!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just read that 4C is the temperature at which water reaches maximum density. 

I always assumed there would be enough expansion at room temp to potentially end up with over filled vessels.  

I guess that’s not correct?

4 minutes ago, J P said:

Just read that 4C is the temperature at which water reaches maximum density. 

I always assumed there would be enough expansion at room temp to potentially end up with over filled vessels.  

I guess that’s not correct?

Interesting. Now does that mean if at keg temperature (18C) is showing right on 10l in the Droid at 4C could the volume show as say 9.5l? So if you keg at 4C then you half the volume showing? Mmm

7 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Interesting. Now does that mean if at keg temperature (18C) is showing right on 10l in the Droid at 4C could the volume show as say 9.5l? So if you keg at 4C then you half the volume showing? Mmm

That’s the principle I’ve understood but after a bit more reading it looks like it couldn’t be a difference of more than a few mL’s … fascinating subject matter however 

• Upvote 2

On 11/10/2022 at 5:44 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Chris Tuffield there is absolutely nothing stopping you from kegging at 4°C.

I exclusively keg at that temperature and whilst I've had a few issues, those issues aren't related to temperature but rather, the amount of hops that I use in my brews and that using an all grain wort produces more trub.

One of the big advantages when kegging at 4°C into a stainless steel corny keg is that I can see by the condensation ring that forms on the outside of the keg how much I've filled it. It's then also at serving temp and I just need to add carbonation.

If doing secondary fermentation, as @Captain 3 Droids says, once the yeast warms up, it will reactivate and with the introduction of sugars, will start fermenting happily.

Personally, the 3 hours or so it takes to move from 4° to 16° is time I can use cleaning and prepping the Droid for it's next brew!

I like the idea of using the condensation ring as a visual guide.  Which reminds me of another tip.  Label the bottles and kegs before filling ! 

• Upvote 2