Adding Nitrogen to your beer

Hello All,

I have seen a number of posts here or in Facebook (I lose track of who said what and where...) about adding nitrogen to your beer to get that lovely stout/Kilkenny style pour.

A few posts have suggested using a device from the US called Nitrobrew. A crazy device with compressors, kettles and the like for $600.  Ouch.

Before you do that, try this....

Just go to Bunnings and buy a $7 1.5 Litre spray pump bottle that has the hand pump on it. You would normally use it to spray your roses or something. Throw your Irish Red Ale in it, stick on the lid and give it a good pump. The air you are pressure forcing in is 80% nitrogen anyway. Use the trigger to pour into a glass and you get that same soft creamy head, tiny bubbles flowing down inside the glass etc. A great result for bugger all money. Have a try before spending too much of your hard earned.

50 minutes ago, Derren Green said:

Hello All,

I have seen a number of posts here or in Facebook (I lose track of who said what and where...) about adding nitrogen to your beer to get that lovely stout/Kilkenny style pour.

A few posts have suggested using a device from the US called Nitrobrew. A crazy device with compressors, kettles and the like for $600.  Ouch.

Before you do that, try this....

Just go to Bunnings and buy a $7 1.5 Litre spray pump bottle that has the hand pump on it. You would normally use it to spray your roses or something. Throw your Irish Red Ale in it, stick on the lid and give it a good pump. The air you are pressure forcing in is 80% nitrogen anyway. Use the trigger to pour into a glass and you get that same soft creamy head, tiny bubbles flowing down inside the glass etc. A great result for bugger all money. Have a try before spending too much of your hard earned.

That is genius.

Is this something you're doing?

Yeah, I have been doing it with my Irish Red Ale....results are great.  Really creamy head.   Really happy keeping with the results for such a simple work around.   Give it a go, you only stand to lose $7.00.

You may wish to fiddle with drilling out the nozzle a bit to make it bigger if the bottle you get has a small nozzle only designed for a really fine mist spray.

I will take a few photo's / video's tonight and load them in for you to see.

I am hesitant to try this, yes there is something like 80% nitrogen in the air, but the remainder is almost all oxygen, and oxygen in your beer is bad.  In a typical Nitro blend gas system you would have a mix of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide, and no oxygen.  However, you might be able to get away with it if you drink all the beer you have pumped in one sitting though.

Once you have oxygen in your beer, it will go stale and flat quite quickly so best to drink up! ?

3 hours ago, Banjo said:

I am hesitant to try this, yes there is something like 80% nitrogen in the air, but the remainder is almost all oxygen, and oxygen in your beer is bad.  In a typical Nitro blend gas system you would have a mix of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide, and no oxygen.  However, you might be able to get away with it if you drink all the beer you have pumped in one sitting though.

Once you have oxygen in your beer, it will go stale and flat quite quickly so best to drink up! 1f601.png

Stale beer Banjo??  You are meant to drink it, its not a table ornament mate.  ?

Ok, finally got around to making a couple of videos of this process.

Took a full video with my phone of filling the sprayer and pumping it up but it was 120Mb,  could not get a smaller file.  Anyhow, you have a couple of close ups of the very fine bubbles flowing down the glass that you'd want from nitrogenated beer. 

I only ever do one bottle at a time so not really concerned out the oxygen issue.

anyhow, have a go!  Love you hear your comments

IMG_0763.MOV

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.MOV

IMG_0766.JPG

Archived