SAME SAME, BUT DIFFERENT

Hey guys. I have a brilliant idea. One of many that usually revolve around me drinking and thinking of stuff. I hope admin can 'pin' the post.

I call it "Same, same, but different."

It is along the lines of the Beer Support on the Brewart site. But for beers that people like that aren't identified on the site. 

In the comments to THIS POST. So we can all find it easily. You nominate a Brewprint that tastes like a beer that's available in bottle shops etc, and rate the likeness out of 10.

The idea that it should broaden our horizons, as well as maybe safely "try before you brew"

I will go first. Let me know what you reckon. ?

IMG_3654.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, I'm just back from New York - craft beer heaven!

Space Kitty Double IPA

As a 2nd preference (and maybe a little more mainstream), Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA

If I could make either of those in my Droid I'd die happy (and probably sooner).

don

My brother recently brought back a bunch of American Craft Beers, from his honeymoon (brewery tour) and they were amazing!! I just looked up that Space Kitty!! 8.4% and 96IBU's?!?! That is a serious beer. With the Mountain Range coming in at 7.5% ABV and 66IBU there is still a way to go to reach those numbers :(

6 hours ago, Smooth Hoperator said:

My brother recently brought back a bunch of American Craft Beers, from his honeymoon (brewery tour) and they were amazing!! I just looked up that Space Kitty!! 8.4% and 96IBU's?!?! That is a serious beer. With the Mountain Range coming in at 7.5% ABV and 66IBU there is still a way to go to reach those numbers :(

Yes, the Space Kitty was probably a good thing gone too far but it didn't stop me from polishing off 4 pints over a couple of days.  I found it on a brewery tasting tour in up-state New York.  These things exist and they are excellent (just don't drive - there's no spitting out on a brewery tour).

Mountain Range isn't bad but it's barely an IPA.  There's a few folk chucking in extra hops and I think I'm going to give that a go.

One of the things that makes me sad is the ridiculous prices for decent craft been here in Nanny-stralia (a large part of this is excise "for our own good").  I was over there for 3 weeks and I could easily (and often did) pick up a 6 pack of Torpedo IPA (7.5%) for US$10/A$13.40 and society didn't seem to be falling apart as a consequence.

I found the Space Kitty at Wegmans for $10.99 for 4 x 1 pint cans.

On 6/9/2017 at 4:45 PM, dcm said:

One of the things that makes me sad is the ridiculous prices for decent craft been here in Nanny-stralia (a large part of this is excise "for our own good").  I was over there for 3 weeks and I could easily (and often did) pick up a 6 pack of Torpedo IPA (7.5%) for US$10/A$13.40 and society didn't seem to be falling apart as a consequence.

I couldn't agree more!! the taxes are insane and complicated, and they also don't always work as intended. There's a brewery here in Adelaide which wanted to brew a 5% Cherry Cider but the tax excise would've made it cost too much, so they upped the ABV to 8% and called it a Fruit Wine which is exempt from the tax?!? Go figure!?

Archived