Lager/Ale/Custom

u9026a

So today I started my first brew using Brewart ingredients (Belgian Lager), started the brewing process using the app by choosing it from the shelf and starting the brewing process.

I notice that on the Droid it says "Custom" when I thought it should say "Lager"?

It probably doesn't matter but does anyone know if this is normal?

Yeah this is normal since using the app starts the BrewPrint using its own custom brewing settings for that BrewPrint instead of the regular lager brewing settings which has slightly different brewing temperatures.

This is explained in the BrewArt 101 FAQs which are on the BrewArt website which is useful for help and guides for using the BrewArt system.

Something else I don't quite get is if you select 'custom' you can select the temperature profile. But how do I know what temperatures to select?

And why would the custom settings for lager be any different for the same Brewprint lager settings?

It all comes down to the yeast you use. Ale yeast ferments at a higher temperature than lager yeast.

When you buy non-brewart yeast, the packaging usually contains extra information like active temperature ranges. This is how you know what temperature to use.

High level brewers will deliberately brew at the lowest temps possible in an effort to improve their finished products and yeast selection plays a very significant role in this sort of thing. The last thing you want is to brew too low and stop fermentation from occurring. The droid is designed to suit brewers who just want to brew from a brewprint, as well as brewers who want to push the envelope and strive to achieve a finer quality beer. 

Archived