Kegging without a liner

Mike G

Hello all.  I have some questions about the brewart kegs.  Some background first, I'm an experienced brewer and currently have a home grown mini kegging system.  My existing setup originally used the Tap-a-draft bottles and a custom cap to allow me to connect a beer line with a stainless dip tube, as well as a co2 line from a standard co2 regulator with a 5lb co2 tank connected.  Unfortunately it seems that Tap-a-draft went out of business and I can't find the bottles or caps anymore so I've been looking for an affordable alternative.  These brewart kegs really look promising to me, the problem is I already have a mini fridge with normal draft taps connected to standard shanks.  This means I don't have an air pump that would be required for the kegs along with a liner.  I also have the ability to force carb since I have an external regulator already.  So again can the kegs be used without the liner, and what psi are they rated for?  Also, what size tubing is used for the quick connects?  Can liquid fitting on the inside of the cap be replaced with something like a barbed fitting instead?   Thanks for your time!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Erik Denkers said:

I was wondering if anyone has tried converting the kegs for CO2 by replacing the black connector with a ball lock type of gas post?

I don’t use the kegs and Brewflo unit however having had a look I reckon you could co2 gas carbonate outside the unit after chilling with a ball lock connector attached to the tube running to the black connector. You would still need the flo air setup for dispensing however that has no effect on the beer so all good.

21 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I don’t use the kegs and Brewflo unit however having had a look I reckon you could co2 gas carbonate outside the unit after chilling with a ball lock connector attached to the tube running to the black connector. You would still need the flo air setup for dispensing however that has no effect on the beer so all good.

If you have a liner in the keg, then putting CO2 gas into the black connector won't carbonate the beer as the black port only puts air or gas on the outside of the liner and will never touch the beer.

I don't mind secondary fermentation, so I was really looking to see if can still use these kegs in another system with CO2 instead of compressed air.  I believe that this can be done.

I have considered using the kegs without liners, but then the beer could be exposed to sunlight.

I supposed that I could carbonate via the beer out line.  I wasn't really looking to use CO2 for carbonating the beer, just for dispensing it.

I have the BrewFlo and 12 kegs, but issues with liners leaking have me looking at switching to stainless steel kegs now.  I just was wondering if anyone has tried to repurpose or refit the kegs to use CO2 for dispensing.

Edited by Erik Denkers

8 minutes ago, Erik Denkers said:

I supposed that I could carbonate via the beer out line.  I wasn't really looking to use CO2 for carbonating the beer, just for dispensing it.

I have the BrewFlo and 12 kegs, but issues with liners leaking have me looking at switching to stainless steel kegs now.  I just was wondering if anyone has tried to repurpose or refit the kegs to use CO2 for dispensing.

I use ss kegs and fridge/taps set up but I had them before BrewArt was available.

If you go this way be aware the set up isn’t cheap. Kegs, Co2 bottle, regulator, taps, beer lines, gas lines, beer and gas disconnects, fridge and conversion (if dedicating a fridge to kegs) etc.

I already have CO2 tank and mini-regulator.  I just purchased a Igloo Portable Beer Keg Dispenser on ebay.  (https://www.curtis-igloo.com/product/frp236-2).  This mini kegerator has co2 lines and liquid lines that I am already familiar with in this HomeCraft system... https://nostalgiaproducts.com/collections/beverage/products/black-stainless-steel-tap-beer-growler-cooling-system

Also, it can be converted to regular tap with ball lock quick connects. 

I would hope to recoup some of my money by selling the BrewFlo once I have the new system up and running.

• Upvote 1

Hi Erik, I'm sorry to hear that you're giving up on the Brewflo. I've seen your posts on the Facebook group.

There appears to be a few users that are moving away from that component of the system at the moment.

Sometime in the future I'd quite like a three tap kegerator so that I can serve multiple beers available simultaneously.  I'm not into bottling nor have the room or desire to own multiple Brewflos. 

There's pros and cons for either kegging approach but I do appreciate the frustration those users that have lost beer with the Brewflo are experiencing as it has happened to me too. I will say that Brewart support and compensation has been incredible and beyond my expectations each time.

Hopefully this is the year we can get on top of the keg liner / connector / beer line issues as I still really like the Brewflo concept and its relative simplicity compared to the other options on the market.

Good luck with your new setup. I'lll be keen to see some photos of it up and running.

• Upvote 1