Sanitising droid to brew straight away.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 18/03/2019 at 10:24 AM, Barrelboy said:

It’s very easy and tempting to take short cuts however missing the sanitising process is a no no. In any event it’s easy if you use an effective non rinse sanitiser like starsan. Once I’ve cleaned and rinsed the droid out I use a spray bottle to coat the internal services of the droid and don’t forget the lid.

I forgot to mention, wash and sanitise the tap and drain plug, very important.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'll use sodium percarbonate, 2.5 tablespoons per droid, give it an hour and then drain, obviously after rinsing out droid, then I'll give it a quick spray down with sanitise and away I go. Brew shop guy says it is overkill and a rinse then spray will do but he did say "best over sanitise then under".

I used to just rinse then spray and to be honest, had no issues but I am stuck in the habit I am now for cleaning the droid. As you have said, key is to flush out tap and clean out bung

Would ask Liam for the new bungs if you haven't one, goes alright

• Upvote 1

I use a wooden door wedge and put it under the back of the droid so it tilts forward. Then I wipe down the sides, rinse and let about 1/2 litre of clean water sit in the bottom for about 15mins to loosen the sediment. With a bucket underneath I remove the tap and bung, drain out the sediment using more fresh water.( refer thread on “Cleaning Tips for Beerdroid”) When done, check the inside and wipe clean with a dry clean Chux wipe (up the tap spout as well). Lid is cleaned and dried. I then spray the lid (ensuring the seal is done) and inside of the unit with Star San non rinse sanitiser. The tap and bung have been cleaned and sanitised. Replace and away we go.

It’s a thorough job, worth while and doesn’t take long.

Ps. When I got the unit it had the troublesome red bung tap, emailed and was sent a new version within days. Great service

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Just out of interest and to obviously brag 😊my turn around from kegging, to cleaning, to sanitising, to putting down a new brew in the droid is under an hour. Once you have your set repeatable process then it becomes easy. (Note: I keg into 10l kegs so quicker than the Beerflo ones I guess).

Yeah, I am just over an hour but I am happy with that.I have been able to change it round in a shorter time but I think most new brewers are stuck with the put the tablet in, give it two hours then, which I think is overkill to be honest 

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, I am just over an hour but I am happy with that.I have been able to change it round in a shorter time but I think most new brewers are stuck with the put the tablet in, give it two hours then, which I think is overkill to be honest 

Agree. Two hours of waiting is two hours of not brewing. That’s not good 😭