Tap, Filtered or Boiled Water?

Rennce

5 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on water source for brewing? I can use tap or filtered water and should I boil the water first (leaving it to cool prior to use)? Cheers Terry

Just use filtered water Terry. Been doing that for years. The main thing is to get rid of the chlorine in the water and your filter will do that. I have a single filter that attaches to the kitchen tap with a control lever, works well. 

Mark

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Just use filtered water Terry. Been doing that for years. The main thing is to get rid of the chlorine in the water and your filter will do that. I have a single filter that attaches to the kitchen tap with a control lever, works well. 

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the advice. We have a filter on the fridge water so will use that. Droid is sanitising at the moment and I hope to have my first brew on this afternoon. Cheers Terry

14 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark, thanks for the advice. We have a filter on the fridge water so will use that. Droid is sanitising at the moment and I hope to have my first brew on this afternoon. Cheers Terry

Great stuff. Don’t for get the yeast goes in first, sprinkled on the surface of the water then the other ingredients (spread them around on top of the surface slowly as if you tip too fast you will have a cloud of the stuff in the room 🤭. Is the fridge water really cold? If so can you add some hot water so it is near the target temp? It just saves a bit of time in the unit having to heat the wort up. 

36 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Great stuff. Don’t for get the yeast goes in first, sprinkled on the surface of the water then the other ingredients (spread them around on top of the surface slowly as if you tip too fast you will have a cloud of the stuff in the room 🤭. Is the fridge water really cold? If so can you add some hot water so it is near the target temp? It just saves a bit of time in the unit having to heat the wort up. 

Good point on the fridge water as it does come out chilled...

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Did you get a chance to put your first brew down? Was it the Californian Steam?

Yes I did get a brew on thanks. Took ages to get the droid to connect to wifi but once I had it working I added all the ingredients in and set it brewing. I went with the Londons Own Ale for now and will save the Cal Steam for next time  You were certainly correct about Elements contents being very fine powder... Cheers Terry

DAE7600E-FC5A-44FB-8E8F-785682FE1311.png

Yep... I had a "Entered Fermentation Zone Message" followed by a "Fermentation start detected" message 13 hours (to the minute) later.  Re timing I assume the droid tracks start time as "time zero" and then tests on the hour going forward.

Your on the go now. From the start time (propagation zero time) the droid every 24 hours goes into a test mode (this will be indicated by the word “test” where the temp reading normal is on the brew status app) This test can be short or a couple of hours so don’t be concerned. The check is about fermentation, temperature and the possible need for temperature adjustment for the yeast to clean up or in accordance with the programme. It does this automatically. It also does other checks to ensure all is well.

I know this sounds horrific but, I generally use tap water. I mean, I also use spring water  but there isn't a great difference...though that may be due to the hippies where I live complaining about the additives to our water. Given that has probably reduced the amount of fluoride and chlorine in the water, I kind of feel a bit of a prick for putting a tape of "Achy breaky Hearty" on full blast just out of reach from the poor bugger who chained himself to the gates of the lake protesting.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

There could be a big difference in the water quality from where you are to Adelaide. Sometimes you can smell the chlorine in the tap water. Isn’t yours from underground aquifers?

Something like that, when family comes down they talk about how nice the water is...I'm not too sure, I drink beer 

• Upvote 1