Monch Lager

This one has gone into storage, have already brewed once and drunk at about weeks 4 and 5 and it had a lot going for it but drunk too early. This time I should get about 12 + weeks though there is a fair chance the occasional early bottle may have to be sacrificed in the name of science. The first time I drank it, it had the beginnings of a premium German beer, just needed more time, will be interesting to see how this time goes and the difference it makes

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

This one has gone into storage, have already brewed once and drunk at about weeks 4 and 5 and it had a lot going for it but drunk too early. This time I should get about 12 + weeks though there is a fair chance the occasional early bottle may have to be sacrificed in the name of science. The first time I drank it, it had the beginnings of a premium German beer, just needed more time, will be interesting to see how this time goes and the difference it makes

The consumption of beers in the sacrificial endeavours of science is extremely important. (🍺) Yes some styles need that extra time to mature so I guess it is imperative that we have both in stock, those that need maturity and those that can be drunk early, fresh. That’s my theory of success and failure 🙂.

When I was bottling I liked to have a couple every 2 weeks to see how a brew developed and ascertain a good time for that particular style/recipe. That was when you were bottling 30 long necks from a 23l batch, so was not so hard. When I get my 2nd Beerdroid I have will different recipes in each but with some brews I extend to do a batch in each with the intention of keeping some aside (ha we can only hope)

• Upvote 1

I run a similar method where I am kegging half and bottling the rest. I sample the bottles intermittently to get a feel for where it is at. I also hide a bottle here and there in other beer boxes which I come across later, like the Belgian lager bottle this week that was at 3 months. 

and bollocked up the kegging of the Monch. So I have stopped using the priming pouches and now use dextrose...and today I forgot to put the dextrose in first. I have done this before with the priming pouch and just added it after with no issue.

Obviously, this is not the same with dextrose which waited until I had put the whole amount in before it reacted like a junior volcano exhibit at the school science show. Kids thought it was really cool and came over to watch and I had to let them know that Dad was really angry and best you keep your distance...and they backed away. Problem for me is out of the maybe 500mls that came out, how much was dextrose? So it is a case of shut the lid and see how it goes. Sadly, it is this exact type of incompetent stuff up that produces the best beer and I'll wonder "should I just do it like that again?" 😂.

Stupidity like this is the reason I bottle half, at least I got 8 long necks and the idea that next time I do something forgetful like not adding dextrose first, maybe just put 10 carb tabs in...unless the kids egg me on

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Love top cuts of thick steak, rib eye being a favourite and done slightly medium to rare, nice pink in the centre. If you have a good butcher then we’ll worth keeping. Willunga has a down to earth country butchers and worth the drive for me. (I think vegans could be in one of his sausages sold as “vegan sausages” 🤫).

Have not done the Monch Lager yet but with 2 droids now it could go on the list. So the ones your drinking now, 12 weeks? I’ll await your full report as it has matured further from your first sample.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Well decided to give this one ago, in the Droid today however cut the 3 x X1 back to 2 x X1 making it 4.5%. Hopefully won’t stuff up the flavour but sometimes I just don’t want 5.5%+ beers and can have a few more at 4.5%-. It’s another reason why I enjoy the English Bitter- full of flavour, at only 3.8 to 4.1% top quaffing brew for long sessions 🤗🍻

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Kegged today into a maturing keg and will leave for about 6 weeks then transfer to consuming keg which in the keg cycle will be at about 10 weeks+ when first pint poured.

Is there any functional difference between your two keg types or is it just how you designate them?

55 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Is there any functional difference between your two keg types or is it just how you designate them?

The maturing kegs (as I call them) are kegs that don’t fit my fridge, 2 are barrel shape with too large a diameter and the 2 other are just too tall. The ball lock connections are all the same. They work well and stop me from drinking the brews to soon,  ha.27E40187-E239-4BA2-BFD0-C2ED543F694F.thumb.jpeg.91ca722c94eb75b3769b7733c8ef3a29.jpeg8482876E-7BCE-43CE-8456-CE1D69010E75.jpeg.bd78c2f76db54d498b0db6ff96513e3f.jpeg

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2020 at 8:56 AM, Barrelboy said:

Kegged today into a maturing keg and will leave for about 6 weeks then transfer to consuming keg which in the keg cycle will be at about 10 weeks+ when first pint poured.

Just a tad over 9 weeks, first one out of the keg. It’s crisp, refreshing and very enjoyable. Be a great drop by the bbq on a hot summers day.B82F1444-C706-4103-9640-A0401598B46F.thumb.jpeg.df80492e68611e92808d895363132f50.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oops...

Put this on the other day, then yesterday redid my system of lamps, extension cords and powerboats. I clearly forgot what the droid was plugged into and I flicked it off at the wall with my lights last night. It's spent the last most of a day at 24ish degrees instead of 12. Glad it's in the aircon.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be a major issue, might finish a bit quick and if it doesn't taste as good I can blame the day it got in the warmth. Looking forward to having 2 lagers so this can help the Belgian last a little longer

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Oops...

Put this on the other day, then yesterday redid my system of lamps, extension cords and powerboats. I clearly forgot what the droid was plugged into and I flicked it off at the wall with my lights last night. It's spent the last most of a day at 24ish degrees instead of 12. Glad it's in the aircon.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be a major issue, might finish a bit quick and if it doesn't taste as good I can blame the day it got in the warmth. Looking forward to having 2 lagers so this can help the Belgian last a little longer

It had already detected fermentatrion?

10 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Oops...

As you say don’t think there will be any major damage.

10 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

It had already detected fermentatrion?

Yep

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

As you say don’t think there will be any major damage.

Me neither, but we are already temp ramping on day 4 and I can't remember if that's normal. Wouldn't be surprised if it sits on 15 for a few days.

I'm really looking forward to this one, the Belgian is amazing, and the description/reviews of this sound like my kind of beer! I'm DH it with 20g Saaz.

• Upvote 1

Bottled it yesterday and it was a bit early to finish given it had the dh program on. Taster was a little different to what I expected but I think it's because things were still pretty yeasty, and maybe 20g Saaz is a little higher than the "stock" brewprint with 2 oil packets. Anyway we'll see what a few weeks and some fizz does to it.

Good news is the mini Krausen from the fermenting sugar was already creating a little head in the bottle, about half a cm of fairly tight bubbles. Should be a sign of the dry hop doing a good job on the head. The Belgian with hop oils is definitely a nice head, but some minor room for improvement that this might fill. I've got a Bohemian that I'll make pretty soon, will be interesting to compare the 3 similar recipes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At 10 weeks, my Monch Lager was a little bit too sweet and slightly phenolic.  Both the kegged and bottled samples exhibited these traits.  Today, at 12 weeks, I drank one of the remaining bottles and found it much better.   I will try this one again but with a longer maturing time.

28 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

At 10 weeks, my Monch Lager was a little bit too sweet and slightly phenolic.  Both the kegged and bottled samples exhibited these traits.  Today, at 12 weeks, I drank one of the remaining bottles and found it much better.   I will try this one again but with a longer maturing time.

Interesting. I find 4 to 6 weeks is good for this, I tend to enjoy most lagers early.