This one has gone into storage, have already brewed once and drunk at about weeks 4 and 5 and it had a lot going for it but drunk too early. This time I should get about 12 + weeks though there is a fair chance the occasional early bottle may have to be sacrificed in the name of science. The first time I drank it, it had the beginnings of a premium German beer, just needed more time, will be interesting to see how this time goes and the difference it makes

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

This one has gone into storage, have already brewed once and drunk at about weeks 4 and 5 and it had a lot going for it but drunk too early. This time I should get about 12 + weeks though there is a fair chance the occasional early bottle may have to be sacrificed in the name of science. The first time I drank it, it had the beginnings of a premium German beer, just needed more time, will be interesting to see how this time goes and the difference it makes

The consumption of beers in the sacrificial endeavours of science is extremely important. (🍺) Yes some styles need that extra time to mature so I guess it is imperative that we have both in stock, those that need maturity and those that can be drunk early, fresh. That’s my theory of success and failure 🙂.

When I was bottling I liked to have a couple every 2 weeks to see how a brew developed and ascertain a good time for that particular style/recipe. That was when you were bottling 30 long necks from a 23l batch, so was not so hard. When I get my 2nd Beerdroid I have will different recipes in each but with some brews I extend to do a batch in each with the intention of keeping some aside (ha we can only hope)

• Upvote 1

I run a similar method where I am kegging half and bottling the rest. I sample the bottles intermittently to get a feel for where it is at. I also hide a bottle here and there in other beer boxes which I come across later, like the Belgian lager bottle this week that was at 3 months. 

and bollocked up the kegging of the Monch. So I have stopped using the priming pouches and now use dextrose...and today I forgot to put the dextrose in first. I have done this before with the priming pouch and just added it after with no issue.

Obviously, this is not the same with dextrose which waited until I had put the whole amount in before it reacted like a junior volcano exhibit at the school science show. Kids thought it was really cool and came over to watch and I had to let them know that Dad was really angry and best you keep your distance...and they backed away. Problem for me is out of the maybe 500mls that came out, how much was dextrose? So it is a case of shut the lid and see how it goes. Sadly, it is this exact type of incompetent stuff up that produces the best beer and I'll wonder "should I just do it like that again?" 😂.

Stupidity like this is the reason I bottle half, at least I got 8 long necks and the idea that next time I do something forgetful like not adding dextrose first, maybe just put 10 carb tabs in...unless the kids egg me on

• Haha 1

At the least the kids enjoyed it. I’d use the Coopers tabs in each bottle and calculate for the remainder you keg. Just drop the tabs in the keg as you would for bottles.

So, first bottle tonight of this...it was the first one that....dare i say it...did the hops correctly according to Liam ( well by using the hops pouches). It is only 5 weeks at this stage into secondary so still needs a month more development given the temperatures may be a bit suss. Still, nice beer, it put the Birra into the shade ( second bottle).

To make it better the beer was part of a delicious meal. A local butcher has opened up a few doors down from my work and it is fair to say he hates vegans and doesn't want to waste his time unnecessarily cutting meat. He was out of eye fillet when I got the steaks for tonight but he did have Scotch fillet, 2 inch thick cuts, just ridiculous though getting them spot on medium rare ( was aiming rare but it ain't easy) so am in a very happy place. 

There is no way I am letting this youngfella ( the butcher) not succeed in his business venture 

Love top cuts of thick steak, rib eye being a favourite and done slightly medium to rare, nice pink in the centre. If you have a good butcher then we’ll worth keeping. Willunga has a down to earth country butchers and worth the drive for me. (I think vegans could be in one of his sausages sold as “vegan sausages” 🤫).

Have not done the Monch Lager yet but with 2 droids now it could go on the list. So the ones your drinking now, 12 weeks? I’ll await your full report as it has matured further from your first sample.

• Haha 1

One I am drinking now is about 5.5 weeks, it was the last stubbie drawn from the keg, will wait another couple of weeks to try another stubbie, Keg is still another 6ish weeks away

• Upvote 1