Aztec Cerveza

This beer is the Corona brewprint and it is spot on. It has everything that I love about Corona...nothing. I always wonder why people seem so keen on Corona, it is like a less flavourish version of Carlton Cold but people seem to lap it up.

Edit: I have now put a slice of lemon in it...I almost feel like punching myself for putting a slice of lemon in a beer but it does seem to make it a bit better ( not too hard), with the lemon in it, there is at least some flavour in it and I could see it being a non offensive drink if you'd been doing work on a hot day, maybe gone off for drinks during cricket but yeah, 6 or so weeks of secondary and there is not much to it.

In saying that though, if you like Corona ( and there is nothing wrong with that, what you like to drink is what you like), you'd be stoked with this, especially at $17. I have had some Coronas in my time and this is what I remember them being like

Edited by Rob Courtney

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

The best part about the Corona is the lemon. Your right it’s like a crappy Carlton Cold. 40degree heat, mow the lawn and I suppose it might be better than water- might be🤪

I've seen a few people talk it up, I just don't get it., I'll just use the bottles for drinking with a meal now. At least it is cheap but there is really not much to it

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh geez almost out of this, not a second too soon

I can certainly understand that. Just had a look at the recipe ingredients, just a light dry malt brew with no hop additions. Your opening comments support this, a Corona. There are 4 top rated reviews for it and that’s ok, it’s just not for you and me. 

22 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I can certainly understand that. Just had a look at the recipe ingredients, just a light dry malt brew with no hop additions. Your opening comments support this, a Corona. There are 4 top rated reviews for it and that’s ok, it’s just not for you and me. 

Oh look, if a person is a Corona fan, brew it, the beer is a close copy. The same as I have a mate who drinks Southwark Bitter and eats his steak well done...not for me but if he wants it and likes it, all good. In saying that, I do miss Southwark Premium, my old man used to have it as a treat when we went out to dinner. He appeared overwhelmed one Xmas when I turned up with a carton of it and said "giddy up", it was weird, he was working class to the boots even though he had risen out of the ranks, just couldn't let it go, though he admired how his kids moved past it, like parents always wish for their kids.

Oh geez, there seems like there must be a lot of bottles ( swear I only bottled 7) but out of the mystery box ( not such a mystery as I didn't  take the tags off these ones) comes another. Luckily I had Nachos tonight, so it made sense. Look, not a great beer but still streets ahead of some of the newer, low carb junk that found it's way into Dan Murphys ( Iron Jack, Steersman, etc)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Lot of comments about this being very plain, Corona like (true) and most recommending the addition of a lemon or lime slice with then favourable results. 
So I’ve decide to brew this with the addition of dry hopping on day 6 with 15g each of Amarillo and Cascade. This should provide the citrus kick to perhaps make it an enjoyable summers day drink. In droid as we speak, will look forward to tasting it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Lot of comments about this being very plain, Corona like (true) and most recommending the addition of a lemon or lime slice with then favourable results. 
So I’ve decide to brew this with the addition of dry hopping on day 6 with 15g each of Amarillo and Cascade. This should provide the citrus kick to perhaps make it an enjoyable summers day drink. In droid as we speak, will look forward to tasting it.

A 10 day fermentation and now at about 3 weeks. Well this has turned out better than expected with the hop additions, very fruity/citrus bite. As a summer drink (quaffing) I would/will do this again. Although pleased I’d add 15g of citra with the Amarillo and cascade. 
Give it a go, an easy cheap beer.706E9022-0CE1-46B2-987C-6DD6E8E9FDFE.thumb.jpeg.1215066379de0de8b29c69da8c35b659.jpegDD24B658-D188-4382-AF4A-8E33D6EDE3F6.thumb.jpeg.842b5eebd45f47d2da5e647b8519d4ed.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Beer droid arrived on Friday and I'm two days into this as my first brew. So far it's passed the fermentation test at 24 and 48 hours. Hopefully it's a decent lunch beer for the snow which still lets me drive home after.

The one lager I tried in the plastic fermenter went down the storm water drain so I'm excited to see how this goes.

• Upvote 2

Temperature ramped to 15c and last night 17c. I'm guessing I should be able to keg tonight.

As it's swilling beer I'm going to force carbonate which should also keep the alcohol content at 4%, should I just get the droid to chill it in storage mode? Is there any benefit to letting it sit at "keg" temperature for abit?

5 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Temperature ramped to 15c and last night 17c. I'm guessing I should be able to keg tonight.

As it's swilling beer I'm going to force carbonate which should also keep the alcohol content at 4%, should I just get the droid to chill it in storage mode? Is there any benefit to letting it sit at "keg" temperature for abit?

There is no dry hop additions to this brew so I wouldn’t bother with cold storage nor would I bother leaving it in ready to keg mode once you are advised to do so. (some like to to ensure fermentation is complete.)

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

There is no dry hop additions to this brew so I wouldn’t bother with cold storage nor would I bother leaving it in ready to keg mode once you are advised to do so. (some like to to ensure fermentation is complete.)

The storage temp was more to chill it down to 4c so I can carbonate immediately.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:16 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Oh look, if a person is a Corona fan, brew it, the beer is a close copy. The same as I have a mate who drinks Southwark Bitter and eats his steak well done...not for me but if he wants it and likes it, all good. In saying that, I do miss Southwark Premium, my old man used to have it as a treat when we went out to dinner. He appeared overwhelmed one Xmas when I turned up with a carton of it and said "giddy up", it was weird, he was working class to the boots even though he had risen out of the ranks, just couldn't let it go, though he admired how his kids moved past it, like parents always wish for their kids.

It’s become a yank staple for multiple reasons.  Always enjoyed with a Lime wedge, usually consumed to excess in a seedy part of a nearby Spanish speaking nation alongside ceviche, salsa, and other spicy wonders under the hot sun while it’s snowing and freezing back home.  

then upon returning home in shambles, later consume it alongside spicy Latin food and reminisce over experiences and near misses/missus…

I imagine the Aussie equivalent must be Bintang (Radler)

a bucket of ice filled with coronas on an exotic beach also magically cures Tequila hangovers (they say). 

while it’s not the optimal use of the fine brewing equipment we share, I was impressed with its likeness to the real deal.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Drinks really easily and the taste is pretty close to corona. Still looks a little cloudy so I wonder if a couple of days at 4c in storage would improve that, it's something I'll consider with the next lager.

That keg is going to live in the back of my car for my day trips to the snow, perfect light lunch beer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Drinks really easily and the taste is pretty close to corona. Still looks a little cloudy so I wonder if a couple of days at 4c in storage would improve that, it's something I'll consider with the next lager.

That keg is going to live in the back of my car for my day trips to the snow, perfect light lunch beer.

As you are consuming very young cloudiness would be expected so a trip to storage on your next one would help. However cloudiness is not necessarily a bad thing (Eg Coopers Pale Ale), it’s a meal as well.😊

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, first time brewer here.

Got my machine off a friend who haven't been using it for a while, decided to give it a go and make my own beer, since we don't have any type of alcoholic beverages here (you guess where I live).

I followed the instructions for this brew word for word, and it says 9-20 days, it's at 9 days 11h and still fermenting, is that normal? Or could it be because the brewprint boxes has been stored outside (not in the heat, inside the house)? 

Should I give it few more days? Or my driod is acting up and stuck in fermenting stage? 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Mish A said:

Got my machine off a friend who haven't been using it for a while, decided to give it a go and make my own beer, since we don't have any type of alcoholic beverages here (you guess where I live).

I followed the instructions for this brew word for word, and it says 9-20 days, it's at 9 days 11h and still fermenting, is that normal? Or could it be because the brewprint boxes has been stored outside (not in the heat, inside the house)? 

Should I give it few more days? Or my driod is acting up and stuck in fermenting stage? 

Thanks.

Hi Mish A, welcome to the forum.

The last one I did took 10days so I would leave. Also the yeast may have been a bit old therefore a bit slower in “taking off”.

At this stage things are looking good.

7 hours ago, Mish A said:

Thanks.

Hi Mish A.

I have had brews with an expectant 8-11 days take 14 days. As captain said, depends on the yeast a bit but it will get there, just refrain from opening it and having a look