Aztec Cerveza

Good news folks! Came back from work today and found it on "Keg" mode, I ended the program by mistake and can't put it on store mode for some reason, and can't find the app in my region...

Gave it a shot and poured half a glass, tastes good but there is some residue, is that normal?

And thanks for replying guys! Really appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

used to drink Corona back in the day (like 25 years ago). Thought I would stick an Aztec Cerveza in both of my droids simultaneously. Dry hopped both with Citra, however in one I also added the pulp of two passion fruit. Added the pulp into the hop ball with the hops.

Bottled them a couple of weeks ago. Cracked a bottle of each tonight. Both were outstanding, nothing like Corona, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. 

Can’t believe the difference in flavour between the two. As I said both were fantastic, but the one I added the passionfruit to, it’s seriously awesome.

I am going to let these babies sit until I am off at Christmas. The ideal chilled drop on a 40 degree day in North East Victoria,

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey Captain, 

Never even crossed my mind. Just cut them in half and scooped the pulp into the hop ball.

You make a valid point though, I am meticulous in the sanitising of the droid, perhaps should have been more aware when presenting a carbon based life form into my brew.

Nonetheless it has turned out OK. I have only been on this forum for a little less than twelve months. The fact that I am confident enough to experiment with my brews is because of the input I have received from the likes of yourself, Dustin, the Robert’s, Wazza and Thagomizer.

I have learned so much and am grateful for it..

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The one thing I really enjoy about home brewing is experimentation and you should continue with that. It’s great the fresh pulp hasn’t effected your beer and as it is encased in the passion fruit shell the risk is likely to be low. However have a look at pasteurisation. This is when you would heat the additions (pulp, peel, fruit etc) to 70 - 75C and hold for about a minute.

“How do you pasteurize fresh juice at home?

Heat the juice to about 70°C (158°F), stirring frequently. Keep it at 70°C for at least 1 minute. This will make sure that all E. coli O157:H7 bacteria, and other germs such as mould, are destroyed.”
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey all, 

never a dull moment brewing one’s own beer.

Recently brewed a couple of batches of Aztec Cerveza. After two weeks in the bottle they were fine. Upon opening a couple of bottles tonight, they have a distinctive sulphur smell when I stick my nose in the glass. They taste alright, but their odour is off putting.

Any input or feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers! 

Anthony.

Hey all, 

sampled the batch from the other droid tonight. Same deal; was great last week, reeking of sulphur this week. Am tipping, from my research today, it’s a yeast issue and not a contamination issue. 
Thank God I prefer Ales, every bloody Lager has given me grief. I’ve got an Original Pilsner and a Monch Lager in my droids at the moment; am just dreading how they’ll turn out. Keg them, bottle them they are a f…..g nightmare; so temperamental.

Cheers and happy brewing!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Razovich said:

Am in the process of brewing this and after reading a medium time of 9 days to complete brewing am a little concerned! My droid has started ramping after only 4 days. Is this normal? TIA

It's fairly low alcohol so it goes quickly. From memory this one took about 5-6 days for me including ramping.

Well I have just kegged my first brew in the droid. All seemed to go well after lots of reading and watching some vids. First early impression for me was it was a little watery, my wife thought it had a cider smell to it?…

managed to get a 10l ss keg and also a 1 litre tester bottle where I dropped in 7g of the priming block that was broken off.

planning on leaving 5 weeks then into fridge to carbonate at least 4 days. 

Edited by Razovich

On 24/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Razovich said:

Well I have just kegged my first brew in the droid. All seemed to go well after lots of reading and watching some vids. First early impression for me was it was a little watery, my wife thought it had a cider smell to it?…

managed to get a 10l ss keg and also a 1 litre tester bottle where I dropped in 7g of the priming block that was broken off.

planning on leaving 5 weeks then into fridge to carbonate at least 4 days. 

Congratulations, feels good. Don’t worry about “little watery” as it is water mainly. The maturity and profile of the brew will come about with carbonation and storage.

On 13/10/2022 at 6:27 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Nice work @Anthony Dalton

I made a beer earlier this year using fresh Passionfruit pulp. You can achieve the same result as pasteurisation by freezing it beforehand.

Just scoop out the pulp into a sanitised container and chuck it in the freezer for 48 hours before adding it to your brew.

Freezing.  A great point.  When I am not brewing, I am baking.  One way to sanitize flour, (and I use several kinds), is to freeze the flour packages for a few weeks.  This kills the weevil eggs which will otherwise eventually hatch and ruin the flour.  I've got a loaf of pumpernickel rye baking in my bread machine as I write this. 

I will remember to freeze any fresh fruit additives before adding them to my wort.

Edited by Thagomizer
added text
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I didn't get around to chucking out my suspect batch of Aztec Cerveza. I just left it in storage and more or less forgot about it; that is until today. I was in the spare room this morning and saw the box that had the dodgy bottles in it. I thought to myself I better throw them out and clean the bottles for reuse. I decided however to chuck a couple of bottles in the fridge and see if they had miraculously improved. To my complete amazement, the sulphury odour has completely dissipated, and I am now drinking a cracking lager, it's been conditioning for over 100 days, but it's fantastic. I dry hopped it with citra hops  when it was in the droid, and it's now morphed into this crisp fruity lager. Talk about getting a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Happy brewing.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey All,

I didn't get around to chucking out my suspect batch of Aztec Cerveza. I just left it in storage and more or less forgot about it; that is until today. I was in the spare room this morning and saw the box that had the dodgy bottles in it. I thought to myself I better throw them out and clean the bottles for reuse. I decided however to chuck a couple of bottles in the fridge and see if they had miraculously improved. To my complete amazement, the sulphury odour has completely dissipated, and I am now drinking a cracking lager, it's been conditioning for over 100 days, but it's fantastic. I dry hopped it with citra hops  when it was in the droid, and it's now morphed into this crisp fruity lager. Talk about getting a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Happy brewing.

Cheers!

Anthony

Good save.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

What are the flavours like...are you saying I might have to try it this way?

More citrus taste than I would expect from a Corona, in my view anyway. It does need a while more in bottle, so might even be good enough a Mexi lager to remove the mandatory lime wedge. Will inform in due course.

• Thanks 1