Measuring OG when using brewprints?

Rennce

Has anyone had experience measuring OG when using brewprints? Is it even practical to measure the OG when using brewprints given you add them without mixing etc? For the brew (Californian steam) I have on at the moment I waited 12 hours after adding ingredients then took an OG that read as 1.020 which doesn’t seem correct. Cheers Terry

2 hours ago, Rennce said:

Has anyone had experience measuring OG when using brewprints? Is it even practical to measure the OG when using brewprints given you add them without mixing etc? For the brew (Californian steam) I have on at the moment I waited 12 hours after adding ingredients then took an OG that read as 1.020 which doesn’t seem correct. Cheers Terry

I would think that after only 12 hours the ingredients hadn’t completely mixed. Also if you took the reading from a sample straight out of the tap without discarding the first bit (ingredients settled in the tap) the reading would be inaccurate.

When I first got the unit I did a OG reading of my first couple of brews to be satisfied that when the droid said fermentation was complete, it was. I’m now convinced of it’s accuracy and don’t do it anymore.

Mark

7 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I would think that after only 12 hours the ingredients hadn’t completely mixed. Also if you took the reading from a sample straight out of the tap without discarding the first bit (ingredients settled in the tap) the reading would be inaccurate.

When I first got the unit I did a OG reading of my first couple of brews to be satisfied that when the droid said fermentation was complete, it was. I’m now convinced of it’s accuracy and don’t do it anymore.

Mark

Hi Mark

I didn’t discard the first sample so that would bugger it up. And wasn’t sure that the ingredients had mixed fully although fermentation was detected about an hour ago.... I was wanting to determine abv at end of brew to get the bangs of it once I start with my extract experiment or altering brewprints. Cheers Terry

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

In my above post I meant FG not OG reading after fermentation.

Just got my brain in order. With the Brewprints I can’t see how you can measure the OG as this should be done before the yeast is added. You will be ok with any wort premixed, put in the droid and measured before the yeast.

Hi Mark That makes sense and explains why I was skeptical about being able to take the OG of brewprints. Learning as I go... cheers Terry 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rennce said:

... continuing on. So is there any stage when you could take an accurate OG? For example once fermentation is detected. 

No as it needs to be done before the yeast is added. With Brewprints the only way to get a true OG is to premix the ingredients, add to the droid, top up to 10l then take a reading before adding the yeast. But be warned, prefixing of the sachets is a bummer, very easy for all the ingredients to “clump up”.

To be honest with the Brewprints, Coopers statement on alcohol % with each recipe would be accurate. The pack quantities are precise and their research/testing etc would be spot.

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Had a thought, if you want to ascertain the alcohol % of your beers then you could use one of these at the end of fermentation when kegging and also after carbonation when pouring a beer (probably 1 to 2% higher.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173541712781

Hi Mark. Thanks for that and I will look to pick one up given they aren’t too expensive. Re taking a measurement after carbonation are you indicating that carbonation adds 1-2% to the abv?  I am still away for work but according to the BrewArt app my steam ale is chugging its way through fermentation. Cheers Terry

11 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark. Thanks for that and I will look to pick one up given they aren’t too expensive. Re taking a measurement after carbonation are you indicating that carbonation adds 1-2% to the abv?  I am still away for work but according to the BrewArt app my steam ale is chugging its way through fermentation. Cheers Terry

That’s what is a big bonus with BrewArt, you can see what’s going on via the app. Yes, when you add something eg sugar to provide carbonation whether in a bottle or keg it will add some alcohol content as it really is a “mini fermentation”.

regards Mark

47 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

That’s what is a big bonus with BrewArt, you can see what’s going on via the app. Yes, when you add something eg sugar to provide carbonation whether in a bottle or keg it will add some alcohol content as it really is a “mini fermentation”.

regards Mark

Hi Mark. I knew the extra bit of fermentation would add to the abv, just surprised that it adds 1-2%. So my next question is with brewprints is the advertised abv at the end of primary or secondary fermentation? I would assume secondary.  Cheers Terry

23 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark. I knew the extra bit of fermentation would add to the abv, just surprised that it adds 1-2%. So my next question is with brewprints is the advertised abv at the end of primary or secondary fermentation? I would assume secondary.  Cheers Terry

I’m not sure, will try to find out. But I think after carbonation.

8 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I think I’ve confused you and myself 🤭. Its call a decimal point!  Should have read .1% to .2%. So a 5% Brew could end up being 5.1%. Sorry about that. 🙁

The link below discusses a simple calculation that includes calculating abv when diluting beer after fermentation. Not sure that it applies to diluting pre fermentation so will keep looking. Interesting read though

https://beerandwinejournal.com/cv-equation/

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Thanks. Although interesting the formula as I understand it is more for all grain brewing where the calculations are to take into account the initial volume pre boiling to end result after evaporation, additions ect. 

Darn...