Jump to content
Paul84

Brown plastic, rinsed seconds or swing tops? 0

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys and Girls,

Only using brewflo kegs at the moment , but keen to see everyones go to for bottling ? 

Regards 

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for that , i have spread my range atm . I have 36 plastics, 24 750ml swing tops and around 60 330ml browns that I will have a go at capping. I usually am doing a brew half keg and half bottles so will need a few more bottles to match my 15 brewart kegs haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Cheers for that , i have spread my range atm . I have 36 plastics, 24 750ml swing tops and around 60 330ml browns that I will have a go at capping. I usually am doing a brew half keg and half bottles so will need a few more bottles to match my 15 brewart kegs haha 

Rob general bottles half and kegs the other, seems to work well for him in stock building and maturing purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i find I can pick a bottle at a time and enjoy it . But if I start a keg it doesnt last long haha.  Pints go down really easy 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, Paul84 said:

Hey Guys and Girls,

Only using brewflo kegs at the moment , but keen to see everyones go to for bottling ? 

Regards 

Paul

As Mark said, I keg half and bottle half. I started with plastic bottles and have maybe 70. I also have about 30 swing tops including some Grolsch bottles. I have recently invested in a bottle capper, crown seals and bottles because I am checking the carb factoe with them. I am still a few weeks from finding out. Plastic bottles are fine, I just believe glass gives a bit better taste

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rob Courtney , how did you go with Capping your beers? Does anyone have any thoughts, feelings, opinions on plastic bottles and maybe losing carbonations. I had some beers this morning off shift work mates , and had all beers from my plastic collection . All felt less carbonated then when I was first trying them . 

Even the stout which are big bodied are losing gas. Wondering if it could be because plastic is permeable ? Also found that when I have done the caps up tight some have to be nipped up again ??? 

Have 2 brews in Swingtops now so hopefully no further issues 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume the plastic bottles are the Coopers ones. They are permeable and start to lose gas after about 8 months imo. The caps must be put on tight, a bit of “extra” can be done with multi grips or similar.

The swing tops should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah just the ones from coopers. No beer there is 8 months , about 3M at best . But yeah i was on the assumption of the permeability of plastic... plus the fact all the caps ( although done tight on bottling) took maybe 1/12th of a turn , assuming that could be the reason for loss of gas . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

@Rob Courtney , how did you go with Capping your beers? Does anyone have any thoughts, feelings, opinions on plastic bottles and maybe losing carbonations. I had some beers this morning off shift work mates , and had all beers from my plastic collection . All felt less carbonated then when I was first trying them . 

Even the stout which are big bodied are losing gas. Wondering if it could be because plastic is permeable ? Also found that when I have done the caps up tight some have to be nipped up again ??? 

Have 2 brews in Swingtops now so hopefully no further issues 🙂

Could not have hoped for better, the carbonation is just spot on. 

I will be able to give a better indication of how much a bottle loses carbonation ( plastic) when I try my Guinness for Tuesday. I did share a bottle at the club on Saturday with a stout drinker, he was suitably impressed but the Carbonation was not there, though I was using those paper coffee cups, so that may have been a contributing factor.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Could not have hoped for better, the carbonation is just spot on. 

I will be able to give a better indication of how much a bottle loses carbonation ( plastic) when I try my Guinness for Tuesday. I did share a bottle at the club on Saturday with a stout drinker, he was suitably impressed but the Carbonation was not there, though I was using those paper coffee cups, so that may have been a contributing factor.

Yeah might do some experiments coming up . Maybe throw a few in swing tops and few in plastic and do all the rest of the parameters the same ( sugars etc) and leave them for a side by side.. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah might do some experiments coming up . Maybe throw a few in swing tops and few in plastic and do all the rest of the parameters the same ( sugars etc) and leave them for a side by side.. 

I think capped bottles are better than swing tops in the way swing tops are better than plastic bottles.

I mean I still have swing tops and am not getting rid of them like I am my plastic bottles, they are pretty good for carbonation...and they are glass which is a plus.

I will be pissed if the Guinness shows a lack of carbonation next week, such a developed flavour after 9 months. I was of the opinion that I had purchased all my brewprints for this year but given I am getting a collection of bottles, I may get a few of the longer brews and start putting them in for the longer haul and see how that turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Ha, paper coffee cups, lucky to get a head at all. If it didn’t taste flat then really all is ok.

To be fair, I was about 4 longnecks in, plus the beers in the club were free cause we won the flag and I'd had some of those, so the best I could resource were some butcher glasses ( like seriously, who thought "may just have a butcher of beer"...I'd understand spirits in a butcher glass) or the paper cups.

Gives me hope for Paddy Day

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Paul84 Even though I say capped is better than swing top, I was kegging and bottling a Birra this arvo and I had 4 stubbies cleaned and ready and all I had to do was give the new bottles a quick spray of sanitiser to use them but I had 12 swing tops ready t go, so they got used. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well gonna give one of the weissbiers a go tomorrow . Swing tops and dextrose. Hoping for an explosion of bubbles haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

Well gonna give one of the weissbiers a go tomorrow . Swing tops and dextrose. Hoping for an explosion of bubbles haha 

I found the head on the beers of Weiss to be really good. You only don't tilt the glass properly once :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First bottle bomb today 😞 . Opened my box up to have get a red ale out and could smell beer. Was surprised to see the swing top gone , hoping it was a manufacturing flaw not a sign of things to come 😞

20200328_083444.jpg

20200328_084245.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

First bottle bomb today 😞 . Opened my box up to have get a red ale out and could smell beer. Was surprised to see the swing top gone , hoping it was a manufacturing flaw not a sign of things to come 😞

20200328_083444.jpg

20200328_084245.jpg

Bloody hell. Lets say it was a manufacturing fault as mine have been pretty solid so far  ( touch wood)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Bloody hell. Lets say it was a manufacturing fault as mine have been pretty solid so far  ( touch wood)

Yeah i dont even think i can blame it on the sugar because I am using the measure, just wait and see how the next 2 weeks go and if I lose anymore 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah i dont even think i can blame it on the sugar because I am using the measure, just wait and see how the next 2 weeks go and if I lose anymore 😮

How long in the bottle? Put one in the fridge, chill and then open. If a real gusher then may be problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

How long in the bottle? Put one in the fridge, chill and then open. If a real gusher then may be problems?

Bottled it on Tuesday lol.. this is the Coopers Pale ale. What could be the Dramas with it ? Other then using Glycerine lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Bottled it on Tuesday lol.. this is the Coopers Pale ale. What could be the Dramas with it ? Other then using Glycerine lol

Might have been a bottle fault, eg hairline crack when in transit. Usually if it’s and over carb problem one bottle going off usually starts a chain reaction and they nearly all go. So cross your fingers. Plus bottled on Tuesday, wouldn’t think you’d have much carbonation yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am gonna hope it was a manufacturing flaw. I will have a look and reassess tomorrow lol. Have a few bottles in my box at, would be a shame to lose some 😞 . Especially when this is the beer I am most looking forward to trying.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...