Brown plastic, rinsed seconds or swing tops? 0

Paul84

• 2 months later...

Cheers for that , i have spread my range atm . I have 36 plastics, 24 750ml swing tops and around 60 330ml browns that I will have a go at capping. I usually am doing a brew half keg and half bottles so will need a few more bottles to match my 15 brewart kegs haha 

26 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Cheers for that , i have spread my range atm . I have 36 plastics, 24 750ml swing tops and around 60 330ml browns that I will have a go at capping. I usually am doing a brew half keg and half bottles so will need a few more bottles to match my 15 brewart kegs haha 

Rob general bottles half and kegs the other, seems to work well for him in stock building and maturing purposes.

On 18/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, Paul84 said:

Hey Guys and Girls,

Only using brewflo kegs at the moment , but keen to see everyones go to for bottling ? 

Regards 

Paul

As Mark said, I keg half and bottle half. I started with plastic bottles and have maybe 70. I also have about 30 swing tops including some Grolsch bottles. I have recently invested in a bottle capper, crown seals and bottles because I am checking the carb factoe with them. I am still a few weeks from finding out. Plastic bottles are fine, I just believe glass gives a bit better taste

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

@Rob Courtney , how did you go with Capping your beers? Does anyone have any thoughts, feelings, opinions on plastic bottles and maybe losing carbonations. I had some beers this morning off shift work mates , and had all beers from my plastic collection . All felt less carbonated then when I was first trying them . 

Even the stout which are big bodied are losing gas. Wondering if it could be because plastic is permeable ? Also found that when I have done the caps up tight some have to be nipped up again ??? 

Have 2 brews in Swingtops now so hopefully no further issues 🙂

Yeah just the ones from coopers. No beer there is 8 months , about 3M at best . But yeah i was on the assumption of the permeability of plastic... plus the fact all the caps ( although done tight on bottling) took maybe 1/12th of a turn , assuming that could be the reason for loss of gas . 

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

@Rob Courtney , how did you go with Capping your beers? Does anyone have any thoughts, feelings, opinions on plastic bottles and maybe losing carbonations. I had some beers this morning off shift work mates , and had all beers from my plastic collection . All felt less carbonated then when I was first trying them . 

Even the stout which are big bodied are losing gas. Wondering if it could be because plastic is permeable ? Also found that when I have done the caps up tight some have to be nipped up again ??? 

Have 2 brews in Swingtops now so hopefully no further issues 🙂

Could not have hoped for better, the carbonation is just spot on. 

I will be able to give a better indication of how much a bottle loses carbonation ( plastic) when I try my Guinness for Tuesday. I did share a bottle at the club on Saturday with a stout drinker, he was suitably impressed but the Carbonation was not there, though I was using those paper coffee cups, so that may have been a contributing factor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Could not have hoped for better, the carbonation is just spot on. 

I will be able to give a better indication of how much a bottle loses carbonation ( plastic) when I try my Guinness for Tuesday. I did share a bottle at the club on Saturday with a stout drinker, he was suitably impressed but the Carbonation was not there, though I was using those paper coffee cups, so that may have been a contributing factor.

Yeah might do some experiments coming up . Maybe throw a few in swing tops and few in plastic and do all the rest of the parameters the same ( sugars etc) and leave them for a side by side.. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah might do some experiments coming up . Maybe throw a few in swing tops and few in plastic and do all the rest of the parameters the same ( sugars etc) and leave them for a side by side.. 

I think capped bottles are better than swing tops in the way swing tops are better than plastic bottles.

I mean I still have swing tops and am not getting rid of them like I am my plastic bottles, they are pretty good for carbonation...and they are glass which is a plus.

I will be pissed if the Guinness shows a lack of carbonation next week, such a developed flavour after 9 months. I was of the opinion that I had purchased all my brewprints for this year but given I am getting a collection of bottles, I may get a few of the longer brews and start putting them in for the longer haul and see how that turns out.

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Ha, paper coffee cups, lucky to get a head at all. If it didn’t taste flat then really all is ok.

To be fair, I was about 4 longnecks in, plus the beers in the club were free cause we won the flag and I'd had some of those, so the best I could resource were some butcher glasses ( like seriously, who thought "may just have a butcher of beer"...I'd understand spirits in a butcher glass) or the paper cups.

Gives me hope for Paddy Day

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

First bottle bomb today 😞 . Opened my box up to have get a red ale out and could smell beer. Was surprised to see the swing top gone , hoping it was a manufacturing flaw not a sign of things to come 😞

20200328_083444.jpg

20200328_084245.jpg

Bloody hell. Lets say it was a manufacturing fault as mine have been pretty solid so far  ( touch wood)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Bloody hell. Lets say it was a manufacturing fault as mine have been pretty solid so far  ( touch wood)

Yeah i dont even think i can blame it on the sugar because I am using the measure, just wait and see how the next 2 weeks go and if I lose anymore 😮

3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

How long in the bottle? Put one in the fridge, chill and then open. If a real gusher then may be problems?

Bottled it on Tuesday lol.. this is the Coopers Pale ale. What could be the Dramas with it ? Other then using Glycerine lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Bottled it on Tuesday lol.. this is the Coopers Pale ale. What could be the Dramas with it ? Other then using Glycerine lol

Might have been a bottle fault, eg hairline crack when in transit. Usually if it’s and over carb problem one bottle going off usually starts a chain reaction and they nearly all go. So cross your fingers. Plus bottled on Tuesday, wouldn’t think you’d have much carbonation yet.

I am gonna hope it was a manufacturing flaw. I will have a look and reassess tomorrow lol. Have a few bottles in my box at, would be a shame to lose some 😞 . Especially when this is the beer I am most looking forward to trying.

• Upvote 1