New Beerdroid from Harvey Norman

Darran Haynes

Hi all, have been curious about DIY home brewing for a while and after considering the Cooper's kit but having concerns about maintaining fermenting temperature; I went all out and bought a Beerdroid from Harvey Norman.

Just wondering - was there meant to be an American Pale Ale pack included with the purchase?  I only ask because for some reason I thought it came with APA but there was nothing in the box other than the unit itself.  Glad I bought their APA pack separately so I've got a brewprint to try but just wanted to see if anyone else got an APA brewprint included with their purchase.

Cheers.

34 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Hi all, have been curious about DIY home brewing for a while and after considering the Cooper's kit but having concerns about maintaining fermenting temperature; I went all out and bought a Beerdroid from Harvey Norman.

Just wondering - was there meant to be an American Pale Ale pack included with the purchase?  I only ask because for some reason I thought it came with APA but there was nothing in the box other than the unit itself.  Glad I bought their APA pack separately so I've got a brewprint to try but just wanted to see if anyone else got an APA brewprint included with their purchase.

Cheers.

I didn’t get my units through Harvey Norman but agree to my knowledge it should come with the American Pale Ale. Check on the internet however I’d go back and claim one.

Cheers Mark

Hi mate, yes that seems to be the case.  Had it confirmed by the man himself (Liam) that the unit does not come with any Brewprints.  The APA inclusion may have been a promotion or a prior offering but is not the case at the moment.
(Side note - good deal at brewart.com at the moment; three free brewprints with a new unit.  If only I wasn't so impatient and wanting it NOW lol).

I also should have considered the fact that my brewprint has been shelf worn for years; brew is on day 3 but concerned about how well the Yeast will react given the age... I'll find out soon enough I guess.  Got some Russian Imperial stout and some other ingredients on the way to play with at least.

If the brew has been going for 3 days and the droid hasn’t reported that fermentation has commenced then it may not be active. You did sprinkle it first before the other ingredients?  If so I’d slowly remove the lid so as not to create an air flow and check to see if there is any fermentation activity- bubbles, condensation on the lid, krausen on top and/or ring around the inside. If no activity then consider fresh yeast.

Mark.

Mark - Glad to report that the app said Fermentation was detected when it did a check last night (took about an hr or so 'testing')!

Rob - no didn't go the Flo; intending on bottling.  Have got a bottling kit from Brewart on the way and have also ordered some glass 750ml bottles with swing tops (like the Grolsch bottles) from Kitchen Warehouse.  Hoping they'll do the trick!

Edited by Darran Haynes

8 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Was planning to pick up some Star San sanitiser (seems to have a good reputation) and use with a spray bottle.  Ordered through Brewmart.com.au

(by 'planning' to pick up; ordered it to collect from store - just waiting for the word!)

Starsan is excellent and can be reused. Remember it is a sanitiser not a cleaner. Makes sanitising the droid easy, also for the tap, plug and lid.

Also when at the shop think about one of theses, great to sanitise your bottles.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293042752265

Note, if you rinse and drain  your bottles straight after use (not let the internals dry and stick) then you can get away with just sanitising for your next brew. (did that for years).

7 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Also when at the shop think about one of theses, great to sanitise your bottles.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293042752265

Note, if you rinse and drain  your bottles straight after use (not let the internals dry and stick) then you can get away with just sanitising for your next brew. (did that for years).

Cheers mate - was planning on just using a spray bottle and firing a couple shots into each one but this looks like a decent tool 👌

Stupid question but does anyone rinse post sanitising? If not, wouldn't we be ingesting this stuff over time?

Apologies in advance for being such a newbie!

Daz

12 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Cheers mate - was planning on just using a spray bottle and firing a couple shots into each one but this looks like a decent tool 👌

Stupid question but does anyone rinse post sanitising? If not, wouldn't we be ingesting this stuff over time?

Apologies in advance for being such a newbie!

Daz

No don’t rinse after sanitising, it would then mean the sanitisation is only as good as what you rinsed with. (Starsan leaves no taste, doesn’t effect your beer.)

no apologies required, we were all newbies at some stage, we are all here to help each other, so always ask away.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Just ordered one of those bottle sanitising bad boys 😎 cheers for the link 👍

Question - do you use the bottle tree as well? (Will cost me another $40 or so delivered) or do you use another method to dry the bottles post sanitising?

Cheers for all your help and guidance :)

Daz

You can use the tree (costly) or use a suitable wire basket as shown below or put fresh newspaper in a milk crate and invert the bottles. The Coopers PET bottles and swing top bottles will fit.

32D9455F-E48F-49EC-8A99-7CA82D7047E0.jpeg.5abc027c1c4c094cf9b4a9e8c6803acc.jpeg Hi 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 6:50 PM, Darran Haynes said:

Hi mate, yes that seems to be the case.  Had it confirmed by the man himself (Liam) that the unit does not come with any Brewprints.  The APA inclusion may have been a promotion or a prior offering but is not the case at the moment.
(Side note - good deal at brewart.com at the moment; three free brewprints with a new unit.  If only I wasn't so impatient and wanting it NOW lol).

I also should have considered the fact that my brewprint has been shelf worn for years; brew is on day 3 but concerned about how well the Yeast will react given the age... I'll find out soon enough I guess.  Got some Russian Imperial stout and some other ingredients on the way to play with at least.

Nice mate . I have a Russian Imperial stout to play with as well . What do you have planned ?