Bottling with crown seal

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Now, I have plastic fantastic and a lot of 750 mi. swing tops and an assortment of Grolsch bottles but I notice that an unnamed  forum member seems to have Crown seal bottles in his Mark. So, what is the benefit of Crown seal? I'm asking because I might have to come up with an idea for an Xmas present

Crown seals (good ones) are easy to sanitise, put on (lever style capper or hand capper and hammer), don’t rust like in the past, hold pressure (seal tightens with carbonation pressure).

I have Coopers glass and good old Pickaxe long neck bottles of stout and dark ale that are 7yrs old and the crown seals are still doing the job.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i am shopping for some good glass bottles too. The brewflo will hold its place but it's hard to take to a social event haha . The plastic screams coopers kit and i think drinking from glass is heaps more enjoyable . Brewmart also sell empty browns for a good price . So now deciding if I want to try to wash and remove labels ( and enjoy the beer) from a few cartons or shell out for new stubbies 😄

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Why not build you bottle stocks up by having a few long necks. You better off enjoying a few and the brews already done get to mature a bit longer.

This is a very true and valid reasoning . I just dunno if I can go through the effort of scrubbing off all those labels. I am thinking a few Swanny D's wont go astray though 🙂

10 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Thats also a fair point. I might have to start shopping then. Brewmart does 60 empties for 38 bucks . Just not sure how much or how hard postage will be . 

Postage to where you are I wouldn’t expect to be cheap. What about people you know saving their bottles. Or the local pub, what do they do with the empties?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Postage to where you are I wouldn’t expect to be cheap. What about people you know saving their bottles. Or the local pub, what do they do with the empties?

Didnt think about asking the local pubs . Most ppl up here drink Tins, and mostly bush chook up here not as much culture lol . But i know a few guys who enjoy a drop so could always ask them to help out if they get chance to sample on occasion. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

First box of Beer washed and labels off. Proceeds of a Sunday Sesh after work Sunday morning . Now question for the crew in regards to washing , do you wash and rinse with hot water after drinking the  starsan or you get a commercial cleaner to go with , not a massive fan of adding normal dishsoap for the fear of residue 🤢

20191218_115808.jpg

24 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

First box of Beer washed and labels off. Proceeds of a Sunday Sesh after work Sunday morning . Now question for the crew in regards to washing , do you wash and rinse with hot water after drinking the  starsan or you get a commercial cleaner to go with , not a massive fan of adding normal dishsoap for the fear of residue 🤢

20191218_115808.jpg

After drinking if you rinse straight away, that’s rinse straight away before any beer can dry in the bottle then all you need to do before the next bottling is sanitise. I did this for years. Now the rinse program was a sink or bucket of water, dunk bottle and fill about a third full, shake, tip out and then a third fill from the tap, shake tipout, repeat third full from the tap, shake and then drain. Store in down position until needed. I could still do this pissed, just a discipline needed. If you don’t and it drys then a cleaner like sodium percarbonate is required - a process and cost you don’t need to do if you rinse straight after consumption.

ps you draining set looks great.

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Thanks 1

Need to get a peg board set up so I can dry them without having time precariously perch as they are now lol. These ones were Sunday until now before I rinsed them properly , they all got a quick squirt on Sundag morning . Maybe ill grab a cleaner to go with . But yeah rinse when I finish drinking them will be the standard thing, unless I am out and then it will be done when I am home 

Edited by Paul84

12 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Need to get a peg board set up so I can dry them without having time precariously perch as they are now lol. These ones were Sunday until now before I rinsed them properly , they all got a quick squirt on Sundag morning . Maybe ill grab a cleaner to go with . But yeah rinse when I finish drinking them will be the standard thing, unless I am out and then it will be done when I am home 

After draining to store,  newspaper in the bottom of a milk crate or cardboard box works well.

So, first bottling with crown seals today and I have learnt something, if a seal falls down between your carton of bottles, maybe don't thrust  your hand down to get it. A fair amount of blood and a few minutes of pressure on the cut was the end result, would advise against repeating that in the future.

Anyways, worked well, better with the longnecks than the stubbies but practice will make perfect I'm sure

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, first bottling with crown seals today and I have learnt something, if a seal falls down between your carton of bottles, maybe don't thrust  your hand down to get it. A fair amount of blood and a few minutes of pressure on the cut was the end result, would advise against repeating that in the future.

Anyways, worked well, better with the longnecks than the stubbies but practice will make perfect I'm sure

Yeah that doesnt sound like much fun at all . What capper are you guys using ?